Airlines Ripping Off Brits?

BeauGeste

So ....... it seems not at all illegal.

I think you'll find there are also a raft of laws covering fair trade and open markets that allow this practice.

I thought that the new EU Air Transport Regulation that came into effect in November 2008 would make it possible to buy such a ticket legally and indeed would end differential pricing based on place of residence. However it may be that only a lawyer specializing in EU single market law could give definitive advice.

http://aero-defense.ihs.com/news/2008/eu-e...ODE=Presentatio

(extract follows)

Travelers will be better informed and able to compare prices

From now on, ticket prices will have to be published inclusive of all taxes and charges. Also, passengers will be able to see the breakdown of the different categories of costs making up the final price: tariff, taxes, airport charges and other fees. Travelers will benefit from precise information on actual prices, making it possible for them to avoid misleading advertising and compare prices more easily.

In addition, it will not be possible to impose optional additional charges on passengers without their express consent or "opt-in".

Moreover, any price discrimination between passengers solely on the basis of their place of residence within the EU or their nationality will be prohibited.

OP, have you tried booking directly with airline websites instead of just Kayak?

I was quite pleased since about a year back that certain airlines' online reservations (not the ones you mentioned though) had become cheaper than even my usual travel agents... and surprised to find out even more recently that even another airline I take which used to be very expensive directly but cheap via travel agents... had become very cheap online from the airline's official website; at par or even cheaper than with my usual travel agent. (It's possibly I may just have been lucky though, maybe with 'special flights' or whatever...)

However, some of these online airline bookings require that you fly while carrying the actual same credit card you used for the booking, which they check before you board; and they won't let you fly if you're not carrying it with you.

These were Cathay Pacific, Emirates....

Hmmm, everytime I fly with Emirates I use the same credit card and not once has anybody asked to see it. guess you didn't hear about that one wiki either

:D

Awwww.... looks like little ol James is running out of wit, is he? How sad. It's okay, at least he tried to make up for it with a bigger emoticon to compensate for his shrunken wit.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're now "back to the OP" and want to help him... where as not too many posts ago, all you wanted to do was "get a kick out of" him as he was innocently trying to clear an issue. :D

At least in my case, I got a kick out of some dude who attempted to give the OP a professorial lecture on supply and demand, after sorta learning it from a Wiki.

:o

Before bringing TW to Oz, we had 2 weeks in Europe.

By the books, the tickets *should* have been:

1 x SYD - BKK - CDG - BKK - SYD for me (with a stopover at BKK both ways)

1 x BKK - CDG - BKK for her

1 x BKK - SYD for her.

To save the $1k I booked:

2 x SYD - BKK - CDG - BKK - SYD (with a stopover at BKK both ways)

2 weeks before the flight, I cancelled her SYD - BKK leg, citing her work had already sent her there.

It was a great trip - she enjoyed it & I saved $1k, so I was happy.

Many thanks for all your replies, especially those that gave their thoughts to the question I posed.

It appears this has been going on for quite a while...This from 1999

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/432804.stm

As I commute to and from Thailand my thoughts are to maybe buy a single to BKK this time and then explore return flights from BKK. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think it may be cheaper.? I work a 28on/28off rotation.

Unfortunately due to dates and return timings EVA are not an option which is a shame.

Many thanks for all your replies, especially those that gave their thoughts to the question I posed.

It appears this has been going on for quite a while...This from 1999

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/432804.stm

As I commute to and from Thailand my thoughts are to maybe buy a single to BKK this time and then explore return flights from BKK. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think it may be cheaper.? I work a 28on/28off rotation.

Unfortunately due to dates and return timings EVA are not an option which is a shame.

If you buy tickets from a local agent in Thailand you will have to pay in Thai baht so unless you have an income paid in baht the current GBP exchange rate will probably make it more expensive.

No replies from the thaivisa travel team?

I think Brits should always have to pay more because they have the strongest currency.

Now thats a laugh, where did you read that?

Not so long ago 75Baht = £1 1.45 Euro = £1

Now

50Baht = £1 and 1.10Euro = £1 and thats if we are lucky

but I am not complaining I just want to spend my £s anywhere

Edited by machlad