January 2 Added As Extra Holiday

george

Friday Jan 2 will be public holiday

BANGKOK: -- The caretaker Cabinet Tuesday approved Friday January 2 as an extra New Year holiday, a government spokeswoman said.

Wirinthira Nathongborcharas, a deputy spokeswoman, said the Cabinet would like to boost tourism with the long New Year holidays from December 31 to January 2.

-- The Nation 2008-12-09

har, har looks like the cabinet showing the middle finger to the PAD leader.

remember Chamlong, now PAD leader but not so many years ago he was the " government's top human-resource development adviser".

how he went mental after the government officials have done exactly the same, gave the people a a five-day year-end break. :

"This is not appropriate, especially when we are trying to rebuild the nation." and "It looks like Thais are making Thais lazier and encouraging each other to indulge themselves"

read the full story here:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/search/read.php?newsid=69956

Those poor overworked bureaucrats need a break from shuffling papers.

Be great having the town empty for 5 days though.

Thats why we need 5 copies of everything. I do think shufflingpapers makes them feel important.

I often think, who has the market of selling the papers, seem like a lot of waste on the enviroment.

:wai::P Sorry to say an extra day mean extra time on the road, :D:D:D on the road equal more death and injure, no to mention the medical cost. Oh!! maybe one day the power that be will wise up :jerk: :D:o

They haven't yet announced the second stage of this cunning plan top boost tourism.

They will ban alcohol, and close all the bars

It makes complete sense to have the Friday off as many Thais will go back to their hometowns for the New Year.

Incidentally don't most farangs take the whole of the time off from Dec 22 to Jan 2 , 10 days? Surely they should be at work with their economies falling apart.

without announcing it many would take Friday 2.01 off the work - but really if the government wanted to give an extra day they should do it much earlier, not just 3 weeks in advance, when all cheap arifare and cheap accommodation is gone to the foreign tourists

Those poor overworked bureaucrats need a break from shuffling papers.

Be great having the town empty for 5 days though.

I have no idea what "town" you're from, but here in Chiang Mai we had plenty of tourists for the last 6 days between the two holidays. Mostly Thais of course. Probably not all "overworked bureaucrats" either. Anyone who was off for the King's Birthday and Constitution Day will probably get the 5 days off too.

Stupidly, I went up to Pai this past Sunday, thinking most Thais would be leaving after the big 3 day weekend. Man, was I wrong. barely a hotel room or guest house room to be found. My unofficial survey was that there were 95% Thai tourists and maybe 5% farang. New Years Weekend should be the same.

Pretty smart move by the Thai govt for a change.

without announcing it many would take Friday 2.01 off the work - but really if the government wanted to give an extra day they should do it much earlier, not just 3 weeks in advance, when all cheap arifare and cheap accommodation is gone to the foreign tourists

That exactly the point. Thailand aim is to serve foreign tourists. The Thais only get what is left over. Even Chuwit serves the Chinese first.

It makes complete sense to have the Friday off as many Thais will go back to their hometowns for the New Year.

Incidentally don't most farangs take the whole of the time off from Dec 22 to Jan 2 , 10 days? Surely they should be at work with their economies falling apart.

First question , why are Thais given any time off at all , is it not a Western celebration period ? Then , who will be available to tend to the tourists of which Thailand is sorely lacking at this time ?

In my experience in north America at least , the holidays are Xmas day and Boxing day , then New years day , a total of three days of holiday time . There is no time allocated to celebrate Asean holidays despite the huge numbers of Asean immigrants .

Ever wonder why the Western world is credited with 4/14 times productivity to SE Asea ?

Um..apart from all the above fun and frivolities, does anyone think this would mean immigration is closed on Jan 2? I am due to be "summoned" on that date. Also, if someone has days on their visa that add up to Jan 2 yet now have to go before, are those days deducted as such, or just added on to an extension.

Ta,

Gas

So, government holiday or public holiday?

Guess we normal tax-payers in private companies will miss out...

Yes - which is it - if it is only a government holiday a lot fewer people will get the day off than if it is a public holiday.

Lucky

Friday Jan 2 will be public holiday

BANGKOK: -- The caretaker Cabinet Tuesday approved Friday January 2 as an extra New Year holiday, a government spokeswoman said.

Wirinthira Nathongborcharas, a deputy spokeswoman, said the Cabinet would like to boost tourism with the long New Year holidays from December 31 to January 2.

-- The Nation 2008-12-09

Isn't it a bit of a late for anyone to start planning for a trip somewhere in Thailand now for new year holiday?

Um..apart from all the above fun and frivolities, does anyone think this would mean immigration is closed on Jan 2? I am due to be "summoned" on that date. Also, if someone has days on their visa that add up to Jan 2 yet now have to go before, are those days deducted as such, or just added on to an extension.

Ta,

Gas

The last time that I had to report to Immigration to update my 90 day report I had to go 3 days early because of a holiday and they stamped my new date using the report date as before so there was no lost days due to the early reporting.

I hope helps you.

You don't understand, they may have just saved millions of baht in medical expenses for the mysterious illness that would have struck untold numbers of Thai workers on 2 Jan, causing them to have to suddenly take a sick day. I think this announced day off is such good news that this illness may now be avoided altogether and Thais will be able to enjoy the long weekend with their loved-ones instead of tending to their day-after-holiday sickness.

I only wish they would hurry and announce 26 Dec as a holiday, so we can avoid the similar mysterious illness that will surely keep scores of Thai workers sick in their beds the day after Christmas and force them to use a valued sick day of leave.

I see they have got their priorities in order.

The country is falling apart, civil war imminent, tourist numbers decimated, and they declare a public holiday. :D

Hey! Don't start with total logic, facts and a concise overview of the situation.

May Sanuk :o

Happy Holidays!

Thailand must have one of the greatest number of public holidays in the world

... and probably one of the highest in the world working hours, for many it's 12 and 16h shifts 7 days a week - comparing to 36-40h a week in the west and than 6-8 weeks payed holidays

Edited by londonthai