Insured A Motorbike With No Regestration,bizare

chiangrai

bought an offroad with no number plate,it had an invoice in my girlfriends name,

brought it round to the insurence broker,asked him could he insure it,

he read the invoive,said it had no engine capacity or engine number on it

and that he'd have to ring head office,

head office said yes because it had a frame number,

so he asked me what cc it was,

then i asked for third party insurence and every one seemed to think i was "kriat".

he'd never done it for a motorbike before,

things got a bit complicated after that,translation being the major problem,

anyway,he sold me 2 policies,one for 600 baht which i presume is compulsory insurence,

another for 1600 baht which is"dee thee sut",the best they had but nobody can explain to me what it is,

it's in my girlfriends name but i'm insured to drive even if i don't have a licence,

according to him,

and you cannot insure a motorbike for theft in thailand,

as i SAID EVERYTHING GOT BIZARE,EVERYONE THOUGHT I WAS BEING NEUROTIC WANTING THIRD PARY,

then the insurence policy came in the post,it said honda dream instead of honda TFR,

then i found out the engine cc might be 225 instead of 250 as i told him

eehhmm.............does anyone know,1-am i insured with no licence,i have an irish licence for a car.

2-can you insure a motorbike for theft

3-does it matter about the cc being 25cc less than i told him and dream being on the form instead of TFR.

i love this country,it's just like ireland 20 years ago,

thanks in advance for any info

You say there is no registration number but do you have the registration book ? If you do not then you cannot get the bike insured – sorry.

From the information in the registration book the insurance is simple to obtain and yes, you can get 2nd Class for motorcycles which is Third Party, Fire & Theft !!

thanks for your help,i was glad to find this forum,

the bike is already insured,i have no regestration book as it has not been regestered,

i have an invoice which the broker accepted.

thais seem to think this is perfectly normal for offroads,it was brought into the country in parts and assembeled.the invoice is 20 pages with every part included except the engine.

every body thinks i'm being neurotic,thais and expats alike,people just says don't worry the police don't stop you if you are a farang,

and they don't up here......but in an accident...........

i have 2 policies and i stil don't know if i'm insured,

do you know if your insurance is invalid if you don't have a licene,like on cars.

thanks again

You say there is no registration number but do you have the registration book ? If you do not then you cannot get the bike insured – sorry.

From the information in the registration book the insurance is simple to obtain and yes, you can get 2nd Class for motorcycles which is Third Party, Fire & Theft !!

the bike is already insured,i have no regestration book as it has not been regestered,

thais seem to think this is perfectly normal for offroads,it was brought into the country in parts and assembeled.the invoice is 20 pages with every part included except the engine.

every body thinks i'm being neurotic,thais and expats alike,people just says don't worry the police don't stop you if you are a farang,

do you know if your insurance is invalid if you don't have a licene,like on cars.

thanks again

We will need to see these insurance policies you have in order to help you. Please email a copy through to :

insurance [a] thaivisa dot com

Any insurance is invalid if one is breaking the law – and not having a License is breaking the law.

thanks again

We will need to see these insurance policies you have in order to help you. Please email a copy through to :

insurance [a] thaivisa dot com

Any insurance is invalid if one is breaking the law – and not having a License is breaking the law.

hi,

couldn't e-mail anything from here so i've faxed the documents,

lets see what you make of them,

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at a motorbike without legal plates or book.. The owner had got Thai insurance based on frame number only.. He showed me the policy and the thai insurance sticker (this was back when they still had them)..

I didnt look to closely at the policy but he did have one and it was for the right bike / engine size etc. Who he used to do thisI have no idea.

I looked at a motorbike without legal plates or book.. The owner had got Thai insurance based on frame number only.. He showed me the policy and the thai insurance sticker (this was back when they still had them)..

I didnt look to closely at the policy but he did have one and it was for the right bike / engine size etc. Who he used to do thisI have no idea.

If there is no registration book then there is no insurance - simple !

re-insured my un registered,untaxed cb400 this morning... 600 baht

based on frame numbers. Just a local MOT and insurance place, no idea who the company is.

who knows if it does what it says on the tin, but got it in case i get asked to present papers to a police station...

Edited by UKWEBPRO

based on frame numbers. Just a local MOT and insurance place, no idea who the company is.

who knows if it does what it says on the tin, but got it in case i get asked to present papers to a police station...

good to hear from UKWEBPRO,met another guy who had a bike insured without regestration so they are insuring bikes without reg,the next question is are they paying claims,

i appreciate thaivisa.com's view that this cannot be true but would like to know incase .........god forbid.......................

have found the companys website with english inquiries,looking forward to seeing what they will say,

I had my imported bike insured from the time I recieved it till all the import and registration was finished.Took all together about 8 months without any official registration papers.Had an accident where police was involved and was paid without discussion by the other party's insurer.

never get pulled by the police up here once they see i'm a westerner but i know it's different elsewhere,

everythings fine aslong as i don't crash.

want to know what happens then,

May we suggest you look at it for another angle – without a registration book you are committing an illegal offence by taking the motorcycle / vehicle on public roads.

If you get into problems what do you think will happen !

Thats just not true.. I have no idea if they would pay out, but they issue the policy and the bike had an insurance sticker.

As other members are saying you CAN get insurance and one guy even seems to have a claim.

How about another angle... Which companys will insure a non Thai regged bike (on home country plates) in Thailand, again I know this is done, but never asked who they got it from.

never get pulled by the police up here once they see i'm a westerner but i know it's different elsewhere,

May we suggest you look at it for another angle – without a registration book you are committing an illegal offence by taking the motorcycle / vehicle on public roads.

They open another topic to complain about it. :D

Where is the time that people had common sense? :o

No plate (registration) is illegal. (you need to have a copy with you)

No license is illegal although they cover you with an expired one if less than 180 days (correct me if I'm wrong)

So, no license is no insurance cover.

All my vehicles have an extra third party insurance and my insurance guy still does not understand it (why I'm so stupid to do something like that) after all these years.

you can have the name of my company if you want to try them,you would be useing your foreign reg instead of an invoice.

the invoice is to show that you've paid import tax which some how exempts you from road tax,i think only temporarily while your getting your bike regestered,but tomporary can be indefenatly..........

you can insure them,

the motar tax office has told me so,the insurence company has said so,i know thai's who have done it

and now farangs on this site have done it,

the nearest we've come to people actuallly claiming is basjke who was paid by another party's insurer,

i'm still waiting to hear back from my company's english email enquiries,

happy christmass

good to hear from UKWEBPRO,met another guy who had a bike insured without regestration so they are insuring bikes without reg,the next question is are they paying claims,

i appreciate thaivisa.com's view that this cannot be true but would like to know incase .........god forbid.......................

have found the companys website with english inquiries,looking forward to seeing what they will say,

I have insured my trail/off road bikes for 8 years, no plate, no book, never had a problem,.

I have been riding in on/off road events for 10 years, at these events there are up to 200 riders, id say 90 per cent do not have plate/book.and in fact we have had the police close off roads to other traffic to let us through,.( these events are predominatly thai riders) this is thailand and what may be written as a law means nothing,(.prostitution.selling copies,).it seems to me at all the negative veiws i hear are from residents of pattaya and bkk.and yes im sure if you ride plateless on beach road you will get a pull and a fine, but its nothing personal,.but back on topic, yes my bikes have insurance on frame numbers,.

Thats just not true.. I have no idea if they would pay out, but they issue the policy and the bike had an insurance sticker.

As other members are saying you CAN get insurance and one guy even seems to have a claim.

How about another angle... Which companys will insure a non Thai regged bike (on home country plates) in Thailand, again I know this is done, but never asked who they got it from.

Again yes, can be done, i came through from cambodia on a cambodia registered bike, you need thai insurance to continue, after a trip into town and 650 baht later i was on my way,.

Again yes, can be done, i came through from cambodia on a cambodia registered bike, you need thai insurance to continue, after a trip into town and 650 baht later i was on my way,.

No one will argue that it can not be done (in Thailand almost everything is possible or has a price) but the point is, does it make it legal?

bought an offroad with no number plate,it had an invoice in my girlfriends name,

brought it round to the insurence broker,asked him could he insure it,

he read the invoive,said it had no engine capacity or engine number on it

and that he'd have to ring head office,

head office said yes because it had a frame number,

so he asked me what cc it was,

then i asked for third party insurence and every one seemed to think i was "kriat".

he'd never done it for a motorbike before,

things got a bit complicated after that,translation being the major problem,

anyway,he sold me 2 policies,one for 600 baht which i presume is compulsory insurence,

another for 1600 baht which is"dee thee sut",the best they had but nobody can explain to me what it is,

it's in my girlfriends name but i'm insured to drive even if i don't have a licence,

according to him,

and you cannot insure a motorbike for theft in thailand,

as i SAID EVERYTHING GOT BIZARE,EVERYONE THOUGHT I WAS BEING NEUROTIC WANTING THIRD PARY,

then the insurence policy came in the post,it said honda dream instead of honda TFR,

then i found out the engine cc might be 225 instead of 250 as i told him

eehhmm.............does anyone know,1-am i insured with no licence,i have an irish licence for a car.

2-can you insure a motorbike for theft

3-does it matter about the cc being 25cc less than i told him and dream being on the form instead of TFR.

i love this country,it's just like ireland 20 years ago,

thanks in advance for any info

You can insure a bike against theft, 1st class insurance usually covers this.

Yes it may seem bizarre and strange, but this is Thailand and far removed from Europes regulatory bs and smothering ways :D

Its a lump of metal at the end of the day and registration papers don't really change that :o

No one will argue that it can not be done (in Thailand almost everything is possible or has a price) but the point is, does it make it legal?

To be honest i do as the thais do,. i really couldnt give a toss about the true legal side of it,. and i say again ,if we enter a go go / brothel or wear a fake watch have we have committed a felony,?. i actually imported a car and a bike into the uk and was driving them on insurance obtained with the chassis numbers only til i got them registered in the uk, so id say this type of insurance is normal, even in the west,.