Your Favourite Search Engine

Flummoxed

Altavista. Been using it for 10yrs or more and it doesn't let me down. Fast, reliable, and the index is low on spam. It has a text-only version that works great when I'm in the mood for lynx. Never been one to jump on bandwagons (google,etc) since I've seen so many of them rise and fall.

cv

Google is super convenient and fast to use. I find it much faster-loading on my crap connection than Yahoo, normally. I use the cached page link on 90% of my searches because it saves so much time in wading through the crap which always comes back in droves. Some engines also place paid ads as first search returns, but Google puts them to the side, so, again, less crap to have to wade through.

Altavista has improved a lot, and it seems to be the leanest, ad wise. It, too, has pretty much the same search features as Google and Yahoo. Putting in 'Asian Recipes' comes back with the same top results in each engine. But it often still loads slower than Google for me.

I don't like Dmoz at all. Not as complete, and getting listed was never easy for websites... Plus, they don't list my website as high in the search returns as other engines do, the bastards :D

I also recommend Google to my website visitors because I think it's easy and good. I get mostly students doing research, and many had a tendency before to write me directly with their assignments, expecting me to do their homework. But hitting up another teacher to do your homework is wasted effort.... So I made my site more user-friendly with an internal search engine, and some instruction pages to teachers and students on how to find info on my site and at google, plus I give teachers some ideas on how they can best utilize my site in their teaching...

I also run google ads on my site, and google always pays on time. I even bought stock in the company. Google also announced that they've signed deals with the Library of Congress, Harvard Library, and others, to digitize all their libraries, including fragile rare books. What an amazing idea, especially for those of us with fond memories of searching through libraries as a kid, excited about the adventures in learning. :o

I'm riding on the Google train for the time being, I think. :D

I used to try them all: Jeeves, Altavista, Lycos, Infoseek, Yahoo, etc, etc - but I always came back to Google. Now I just don't bother trying new ones. Having said that, I would like to try a Metasearch engine - like dogpile - but would be interested in other peoples' assessments of them before I change engine.

I downloaded this pic and can't find the original site now..... duh!

hat3502hilohatti.jpg

I thought that it came from the Hilohatti.com website but not any more.

Any ideas on how to find the source again the file name was, hat3502hilohatti.jpg

I originally found it by googling "straw gambler hat" & "straw plantation hat"

T.I.A.

hat3502hilohatti.jpg

Any ideas on how to find the source again the file name was, hat3502hilohatti.jpg

T.I.A.

It is time to get out of the garden shed Udon. Or at the very least, start imbibing a bit later ( I know it is an hour later in Sinnee ) :o

hat3502hilohatti.jpg

T.I.A.

Why the hat?

Cat refusing to wear the lime any longer? :o

cv

Google is and most likely always will be the homepage, pretty conveniant as a home page and the fastes to load.

However recently started using yahoo a bit more and they seem to have updated the index a lot - and also get more relevant results when searching for my name and friends names - you should try it - good for a few laughs :o

K

Edited by krider

Google is and most likely always will be the homepage, pretty conveniant as a home page and the fastes to load.

However recently started using yahoo a bit more and they seem to have updated the index a lot - and also get more relevant results when searching for my name and friends names - you should try it - good for a few laughs  :D

K

That's a very good test! I put my name into Yahoo and wasn't in the top 20 hits. With Google, I was numbers 3, 10 and 11.

Think I'll stick with Google :o

However recently started using yahoo a bit more and they seem to have updated the index a lot - and also get more relevant results when searching for my name and friends names - you should try it - good for a few laughs  :D

K

That's a very good test! I put my name into Yahoo and wasn't in the top 20 hits. With Google, I was numbers 3, 10 and 11.

Think I'll stick with Google :D

Was that from the most wanted list :o