Hotels Are Reducing Their Prices

torrenova

I was looking at a few hotels around Thailand and on www.sawadee.com I saw a lot of hotels have introduced a second column offering reasonably discounted rates either through 15th December or or all of December. This is unusual and I think a sign that bookings are well down (which we know) and the businesses are not just sticking their heads in the sand but are responding with some offers.

Now whether these or better offers are available directly I do not know.

my uncle rode all over pattaya looking for a room for 4 months and was told all full ! :o

High end, no way. Did he ask at Royal Cliff, Dusit, Marriott, Sheraton, or...?

Low end (Pattaya Park Hotel, Welcome Inn, Jomtien Garden, Jomtien Grand Palace and a bit below like that wreck at Jomtien Soi 6 where Jomtien post office is) - could be tour operators and agencies who bought the rooms earlier in the year speculating to make good money now. The hotels see the rooms full, Russians may still come, but....

case and point, on sawadee.com they mention a special rate so i checked it out...

They have rate up to the 15th at 5730

Then up to the 27th 9750

28th-Jan2 12900

This is just one bangkok hotel, others like the hyatt, sukothai, oriental are not changing rates at all exept upward surcharges for new years

I hope they all sit empty.

Reducing rate but not by choice because not much else they can do to woe back some guests :D:D:D Maybe a few lucky Backpackers can stay in a decent Hotel for a reasonable price. :o

Won't happen . Not everybody is interested in big hotels even if the price is compareble to a guesthouse . I rather stay in a decent guesthouse then in a decent hotel . Different off course is a luxury hotel but they will never be available for those prices ( and yes once a while i do stay 3 days in a luxury 5 star hotel but i would never spend a complete holiday there ) . Guesthouses , if kept clean and under good management are nice places to stay with a lot less control and hassle then in any hotel i ever stayed .

I tried 8 weeks ago to book a room for one night(early Jan) in a resort up near barama bay through sawadee, needed to be there for a few days as building a house just opposite. Anyway, the resort was fully booked it took a few days waiting but eventually did get a room. I paid high season rates 18000 but it was surprised how much the rates have now dropped to 6000. They are trying to get a credit or something back from the hotel but not looking likely to happen.

6k/night is still an overcharged price as for thailand. You can get cheaper rates in London, New York or Paris.

the hotel might drop you a bottle of sparkling wine or some flowers in the room, but don't count on any refunds - you agreed to the price before and payed

6k/night is still an overcharged price as for thailand. You can get cheaper rates in London, New York or Paris.

the hotel might drop you a bottle of sparkling wine or some flowers in the room, but don't count on any refunds - you agreed to the price before and payed

I received 20% discount on 4 pre-booked (paid half the deposit in September) rooms in Samui 28th Dec to Jan 2nd

I received 20% discount on 4 pre-booked (paid half the deposit in September) rooms in Samui 28th Dec to Jan 2nd

Contacted me today no credit thats OK I did prepay, they did though upgrade me to a 2 storey villa with infinity pool, running onto a private beach and dinner in restaurant and time in spa.

I cannot find the hotel special offers :o

We are going down to Koh Samui on the 20th for a weekish. Maybe into New Year. Bangkok Airways are offering reduced prices on flight. Fair enough. These are easy to find as they are advertised as 'Special Offers' etc...

However, looking for 'special offers' on hotels in Samui is not so simple. Any advice???

We have booked into a hotel in Chaweng for a couple of nights, so could then go to a local travel agent in Samui or wander around the hotels if thats the way best to get a good deal. Budget per day is about 2000 Baht.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

thanks

I cannot find the hotel special offers :o

We are going down to Koh Samui on the 20th for a weekish. Maybe into New Year. Bangkok Airways are offering reduced prices on flight. Fair enough. These are easy to find as they are advertised as 'Special Offers' etc...

However, looking for 'special offers' on hotels in Samui is not so simple. Any advice???

We have booked into a hotel in Chaweng for a couple of nights, so could then go to a local travel agent in Samui or wander around the hotels if thats the way best to get a good deal. Budget per day is about 2000 Baht.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

thanks

try the samui forum perhaps, the lads in there have a better handle (i hope) of what's happening on the ground.

Bkkjames, yes good idea. I 'wandered' into the Samui forum yesterday and they reckon that tourism is way down at the moment on Samui. I tried to see if the hotels I am planning to stay in would offer a discount, but to be honest sending that sort of email makes me feel like a 'cheap charlie', so I was hoping I could just spot an offer somewhere suggested by this thread.

Bkkjames, yes good idea. I 'wandered' into the Samui forum yesterday and they reckon that tourism is way down at the moment on Samui. I tried to see if the hotels I am planning to stay in would offer a discount, but to be honest sending that sort of email makes me feel like a 'cheap charlie', so I was hoping I could just spot an offer somewhere suggested by this thread.

shortlist the hotels you would like to stay at. send an email directly to them and ask for their best deal.

samuibeachcomber, bkkjames - I think these are 2 good ideas - which I can combine. I will send some emails and if that is not too good then I will wait until I get there and walk into some places as well. I have hotels booked for 2 days anyway, one day in Chaweng and one day in Lamai, so can look at both resorts as well. See if its as 'dead' there as some people say before I commit to anything :o

samuibeachcomber, bkkjames - I think these are 2 good ideas - which I can combine. I will send some emails and if that is not too good then I will wait until I get there and walk into some places as well. I have hotels booked for 2 days anyway, one day in Chaweng and one day in Lamai, so can look at both resorts as well. See if its as 'dead' there as some people say before I commit to anything :o

mate, on thing to consider is your length of time on the island. If you are only going for a week, why would you want to waste alot of it running around looking for a slightly better deal.

if it were me, i would book 3 days in chaweng and 3 in lamai. Perhaps starting in Lamai and taking a trip one day to Chaweng to see if a) you like it better and :D the rate situation.

the sandy spring hotel soi13 pattaya are not,this is the reply, I was thinking about a week from jan7

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail. Our deluxe rooms are available on period you

require. We also have extra charge 500 baht/room/night on 25th Dec. - 15th

Jan.'09 for peak period.

Please confirm your booking within 19th Dec. and provide your master or visa

card no. with expiry date for guarantee booking.

We're looking for your reply.

Best Regards,

Ms. Warin