Nature Loses Out To Malls And Tv

brahmburgers

Bangkok in particular, and Thailand in general have a paucity of parks.

I recently went to a Chiang Mai park, 6 Km west of downtown, two days in a row. How many Thais were there? Less than a half dozen on each day - and those few were all hanging around the buildings. There were a few farang coming and going, but I observed no Thai folks entering the park itself on those days. Were they some sort of 'Don't Go To The Park' days in Thailand?

Meanwhile I had the 8 meter waterfalls all to myself. You'd think that at least a few people would give a hoot for experiencing a beautiful park. The million or so Thais in C.Mai must have too busy hanging at the malls or watching overdubbed Chinese soap operas to bother with experiencing the wonders of nature - a ten minute drive away.

Granted, I've seen Thai frolicking at parks at other times, but was surprised there were none on those two days.

BTW, the cost is Bt.20 entry for Thais, or for farang with Thai license card. It's more for farang without a card (Bt.200?), ....and it's Bt.30 for a car itself (does the car experience the park? I don't know).

Don't tell anyone, but there's a steep path that goes up around the right side, between the two large falls - which brings the intrepid hiker to a long path going up along the right side of the creek.

Would you be speaking of Huay Kaew Falls perhaps?

6km West of downtown... with waterfall.. So that must be Huay Kaew Falls.. Nice, I love puzzles.

But anyway, that makes it part of a national park, charging an entry fee. Not many people (Thais and resident foreigners alike) fancy paying any amount of money, including 20 baht per person, to walk up to a mediocre waterfall in a VERY dirty area with rubbish all around.

You will find that if you continue up the road up hill you get to Bang Bua Ban falls where entry is free. More people there. (Though not if the weather is perceived to be 'cold'.)

6km West of downtown... with waterfall.. So that must be Huay Kaew Falls.. Nice, I love puzzles.

But anyway, that makes it part of a national park, charging an entry fee. Not many people (Thais and resident foreigners alike) fancy paying any amount of money, including 20 baht per person, to walk up to a mediocre waterfall in a VERY dirty area with rubbish all around.

You will find that if you continue up the road up hill you get to Bang Bua Ban falls where entry is free. More people there. (Though not if the weather is perceived to be 'cold'.)

Yes, that could be the name. It has a tight right turn from the main road - over to the guard house. then about 2 Km on a small road to the falls. However, I didn't see it as dirty or rubbish strewn - so maybe it's a different spot. It's certainly not mediocre (in my estimate) - rather, it's quite grand in appearance - the two step falls must be close to 10 meters each. Sorry I don't know its name.

The point of my post is, for a large city like Chiang Mai - to have beautiful waterfalls so nearby - it seems odd that no locals visit - or at least none for the hours I was there.

Yes, that could be the name. It has a tight right turn from the main road - over to the guard house. then about 2 Km on a small road to the falls. However, I didn't see it as dirty or rubbish strewn - so maybe it's a different spot. It's certainly not mediocre (in my estimate) - rather, it's quite grand in appearance - the two step falls must be close to 10 meters each. Sorry I don't know its name.

The point of my post is, for a large city like Chiang Mai - to have beautiful waterfalls so nearby - it seems odd that no locals visit - or at least none for the hours I was there.

I've seen hundreds of Thais as well as a fair share of farangs at the waterfalls along the way to Doi Suthep. Probably not this time of the year however.

Bangkok in particular, and Thailand in general have a paucity of parks.

I recently went to a Chiang Mai park, 6 Km west of downtown, two days in a row. How many Thais were there? Less than a half dozen on each day - and those few were all hanging around the buildings. There were a few farang coming and going, but I observed no Thai folks entering the park itself on those days. Were they some sort of 'Don't Go To The Park' days in Thailand?

Meanwhile I had the 8 meter waterfalls all to myself. You'd think that at least a few people would give a hoot for experiencing a beautiful park. The million or so Thais in C.Mai must have too busy hanging at the malls or watching overdubbed Chinese soap operas to bother with experiencing the wonders of nature - a ten minute drive away.

Granted, I've seen Thai frolicking at parks at other times, but was surprised there were none on those two days.

Go there at Songkran time and you'd think you were on Silom Road, waterfalls, water play and parks are a one week activity for the locals. The rest of the year is for us farangs to enjoy the beauty and peace of these places, may they stay in their malls and keep gawping at their goggle boxes!

BTW, the cost is Bt.20 entry for Thais, or for farang with Thai license card. It's more for farang without a card (Bt.200?), ....and it's Bt.30 for a car itself (does the car experience the park? I don't know).

Don't tell anyone, but there's a steep path that goes up around the right side, between the two large falls - which brings the intrepid hiker to a long path going up along the right side of the creek.