Grade B In Celta - Will It Help?

Peripheral

I have just finished a CELTA in Ireland and been granted a Grade B which I know is very hard to achieve (it was for me anyway!).

Will this be worth highlighting in my job applications? Do employers take any notice of grades or are they just looking for "pass" and paper certificate?

The fact that you passed it will already be enough. But if you aren't a native speaker I would highlight it. Extra proof that you are capable indeed. Even though you aren't a native speaker. I am going for the CELTA or TESl next year as myself and hope to get a high score as well! :o

Edited by frumau

I have just finished a CELTA in Ireland and been granted a Grade B which I know is very hard to achieve (it was for me anyway!).

Will this be worth highlighting in my job applications? Do employers take any notice of grades or are they just looking for "pass" and paper certificate?

I'd say, take much pride in your accomplishment, but don't expect many Thai hirers to be equally impressed. It's the CELTA and the paper that impresses most, ime. But, no reason not to highlite it in your applications. Psychologically, your making it a big deal might even rub off on them! :o

Congratulations, by the way! :D

The fact that you passed it will already be enough. But if you aren't a native speaker  I would highlight it. Extra proof that you are capable indeed. Even though you aren't a native speaker. I am going for the CELTA or TESl next year as myself and hope to get a high score as well! :o

I am a native speaker. However, one of the tutors on my CELTA course said that some non-native English speakers do better on the course than native speakers. This does not surprise me, because they would have had to learn all the grammar rules whereas native speakers don't.

I am learning Thai at the moment. I have a Thai friend who is helping me. She has lived in Ireland for years and speaks fluent English. She is very good at helping me with translation but if I ask her to explain anything about grammar, she just doesn't know.

I would prefer to learn Thai from a native English speaker who had a good grasp of Thai because he would have had to learn all the stuff that I am trying to learn now and would be able to explain difficult areas of the language, having had to learn it himself.

The fact that you passed it will already be enough. But if you aren't a native speaker  I would highlight it. Extra proof that you are capable indeed. Even though you aren't a native speaker. I am going for the CELTA or TESl next year as myself and hope to get a high score as well! :D

I am a native speaker. However, one of the tutors on my CELTA course said that some non-native English speakers do better on the course than native speakers. This does not surprise me, because they would have had to learn all the grammar rules whereas native speakers don't.

I am learning Thai at the moment. I have a Thai friend who is helping me. She has lived in Ireland for years and speaks fluent English. She is very good at helping me with translation but if I ask her to explain anything about grammar, she just doesn't know.

I would prefer to learn Thai from a native English speaker who had a good grasp of Thai because he would have had to learn all the stuff that I am trying to learn now and would be able to explain difficult areas of the language, having had to learn it himself.

I have the same problem with my Thai girlfriend. Because she has been speaking Thai since she was young and has learned it in a total different way she doen't always understand my way of approaching the Thai language and grammar. I guess that's because I look at it from the Indo-European view. And as you know Thai isn't a part of it.. This makes mutual understanding difficult sometimes. :o