Retirement Visa

I am at present 49 years of age and will turn 50 on May 02 of 2005. I am planning to move to Thailand (Bangkok) to retire sometime in March of 2005. I am single and have no plans to marry any time soon. I do not plan to work at all while in Thailand. I am a US citizen in good standing with no criminal record and able to document 800,000 baht in my US bank account as well as show 65,000 baht income per month or 800,000 baht per year. I do not want to wait until May to start processing my retirement visa here in Los Angeles, instead, I want to be able to go to Bangkok in March and then apply for my retirement visa there. Can this be done if I get a 60 day tourist visa in Los Angeles ? Can I convert a 60 day tourist visa to a retirement visa once I'm in Bangkok ? Would you expect me to have any problem obtaining a 60 day tourist visa in Los Angeles at the Thai Consulate ? What do I need to ask for in Los Angeles ? I will also have to be able to come and go from Thailand at any time due to ongoing litigation that I am involved in here in Los Angeles. Is this a problem, and if not, what documents would I need to obtain to make this happen ? Any help that any of you can provide would be most appreciated.

I am not an expert here (others will correct me if I am wrong)

You can a) apply for a non-immgrant visa in LA based on your retirment income or bank balance of at least 800k equivalent or combination. That will allow you to stay for 90 days. One month before expiration go an immigration office to obtain a one year extension. You will need a certifcate from US embassy certifying your retirement income or/and showingh money in a thai bank plus medical certificat delivered by thai hospital showing good health.

:o obtain O-A visa from LA, with notarised police report and income statement/bank guarantee of available funds in Us bank. This will allow you stay one year on arrival.

You will need re-entry permits to leave/return 1000 baht each or 3800 for multiple

In both cases you need to report to authorities every 90 days showing residency

Edited by thalenoi

I am not an expert here (others will correct me if I am wrong)

You can a) apply for a non-immgrant visa in LA based on your retirment income or bank balance of at least 800k equivalent or combination. That will allow you to stay for 90 days. One month before expiration go an immigration office to obtain a one year extension. You will need a certifcate from US embassy certifying your retirement income or/and showingh money in a thai bank plus medical certificat delivered by thai hospital showing good health.

:o obtain O-A visa from LA, with notarised police report and income statement/bank guarantee of available funds in Us bank. This will allow you stay one year on arrival.

You will need re-entry permits to leave/return 1000 baht each or 3800 for multiple

In both cases you need to report to authorities every 90 days showing residency

LA won't process your application until you are 50 years of age.

If you come here on a valid Tourist Visa and have transferred the required (or at least a sizable portion) of the 800k into a Thai bank account before that visa stay ends and meet the over 50 and other requirements there is a good chance that immigration would try to help you convert to a retirement visa I suspect. It has been done but believe persons always had the money in the bank and paperwork ready when they applied.

If you come here on a valid Tourist Visa and have transferred the required (or at least a sizable portion) of the 800k into a Thai bank account before that visa stay ends and meet the over 50 and other requirements there is a good chance that immigration would try to help you convert to a retirement visa I suspect.  It has been done but believe persons always had the money in the bank and paperwork ready when they applied.

He's trying to avoid the wait until he's 50. There's no reason whatsoever for Immigration to amend his visa type because he simply deesn't meet the age criteria.

If you come here on a valid Tourist Visa and have transferred the required (or at least a sizable portion) of the 800k into a Thai bank account before that visa stay ends and meet the over 50 and other requirements there is a good chance that immigration would try to help you convert to a retirement visa I suspect.  It has been done but believe persons always had the money in the bank and paperwork ready when they applied.

He's tring to avoid the wait until he's 50. There's no reason whatsoever for Immigration to amend his visa type because he simply deesn't meet the age criteria.

I concur with the doc... I'm in a similar position agewise (50 next month). I've tried pleading and cajoling immigration in CM, and no luck. I have had considerably more than the required funds in a local bank for a long time, but they still won't accept my application until next month, instead giving me 90 day extensions based on my crappy health...

Come on the tourist visa.

Once your 50th birthday comes up, pop down to Penang and get the Non Imm O visa, and then extend it for one year, based on retirement.

That way you have plenty of time to get the money organised, and there are less requirements, ie no police report needed.

I do not concur with the doc on this one. He is only trying to stay here for two months and then will be 50 years old and that can (with some luck) be done on a tourist visa. At the most a trip to a Consulate.

All the better if he has a non immigrant visa but I do not see him trying to shortcut anything myself. I did say "over 50". Slow down that speed reading. :o

Now I see the question correctly.. :o

I would suggest using the Thai Consul (Hon) in Denver. Non-Im B multiple entry one year 90-day visa without all the 'required' paperwork. Call them to confirm the procedure... Dawn is very helpful, and sounds quite cute.

COLORADO

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200

DENVER, CO 80204

Tel : (303) 892-0118

Fax : (303) 892-0119

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. Ringby

The contact person at the Consulate office in Denver, Colorado, is: Dawn Zielbauer ([email protected]), the office hours are: Monday-Thursday, 9:00am to 12:30pm, and their phone number is:(303)892-0118.

The Louisiana Consul has been doing the same thing....

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL

335 JULIA STREET

NEW ORLEANS, LA 70130

Tel : (504) 522-3400

Fax : (504) 522-3434

E-mail : [email protected]

Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Arthur Q. Davis

But I still don't think you can start your retirement visa process in March, as you'd like. With the non-immigrant visa already, you don't need to do anything special before your birthday, like changing a tourist visa to a non im. Just go in with your med cert, letter from your bank in Thailand stating your balance over the minimum, and the other stuff, and you'll be fine.

TJ,I agree with Ajarn's take on your situation.Getting an initial Non Imm O,(not the OA!) will get you past your 50th Bday,and also eliminate any need to run to Penang or convert from an initial tourist visa. As far as him suggesting getting an O multi,I think he's referring to a multi O,not a B, as you wont be working. But all you will need is an initial standard O,in any event.

May I also suggest ,as I have in other threads to refer to Pro Thai Expat's"canned" post titled"Basic Retirement Questions Answered" Its very informative and adds some info about certain"intangibles",such as how folks should present themselves in order to create a good impression at Thai Immigration when dealing with them face to face.

Ajarn,thanx for the link to the N.O. honorary consul,hope their policy is still the same! Also I will be living in C.Mai( March) if you wish to relate any experiences with Thai Imm. there,please feel free to PM me,All the best ,the Harpman.

I do not concur with the doc on this one.  He is only trying to stay here for two months and then will be 50 years old and that can (with some luck) be done on a tourist visa.  At the most a trip to a Consulate. 

All the better if he has a non immigrant visa but I do not see him trying to shortcut anything myself.  I did say "over 50".  Slow down that speed reading. :D

I get excited on Sunday's Lop :o

I think he's referring to a multi O,not a B, as you wont be working.

To clarify, both of my visas from Colorado are Type "B", so that's why I said that... These didn't require any letters or other documentation. Just the money, application, passport two photos, self -addressed stamped envelope.. Turn around time was about one week.

It doesn't seem to make a difference with the retirement visa whether you're coming on an O or B, as far as I can tell. Maybe someone has a different experiernce....

In any case, call Dawn and tell her what's up. She has always been very helpfull and straight-forward with info...

.... they still won't accept my application until next month, instead giving me 90 day extensions based on my crappy health...

Have you any worries about getting the "retirement" visa considering your health? You can PM me if you like rather than discuss it in the forum, as I too have some concerns.

.... they still won't accept my application until next month, instead giving me 90 day extensions based on my crappy health...

Have you any worries about getting the "retirement" visa considering your health?

I haven't been given any reason to be concerned yet... Immigration folks, who know my situation well, just talk in an assumptive manner, saying to me that I'll get my retirement extension next month. Isn't the general med cert just to show that you don't have any communicable disease? Any experience to suggest a possible problem, RDN?

The med cert that I've been presenting for extensions is a bit more extensive because it has to outline the reasons why I can't physically return to my country wthout someone traveling with me -the basis for extension. In my case, that stems from the fact that I must travel in a wheelchair and I need some help with dressing and carrying things because I'm paralyzed on my left side...

Edited by Ajarn

.... Isn't the general med cert just to show that you don't have any communicable disease? Any experience to suggest a possible problem, RDN? ....

Very sorry to hear about your paralysis, Ajarn.

No - nothing to suggest a problem regarding the med certificate. It's just that it is the one thing that could stop a lot of retirees from living out their days in Thailand. I know at the moment it is easy to get one, but it is a little more than just stating you don't have/never had those nasty diseases. My doctor did actually check my heart with a stethoscope and looked at my throat. (The second time I didn't even see him, but still got the certificate :o ). But if they were to make it a real requirement with stricter conditions, it could mean that a lot of people would have to return "home" to die. :D It would also, of course, stop a lot of people trying to retire here in the first place.

.... Isn't the general med cert just to show that you don't have any communicable disease? Any experience to suggest a possible problem, RDN? ....

No - nothing to suggest a problem regarding the med certificate. It's just that it is the one thing that could stop a lot of retirees from living out their days in Thailand. I know at the moment it is easy to get one, but it is a little more than just stating you don't have/never had those nasty diseases. My doctor did actually check my heart with a stethoscope and looked at my throat. (The second time I didn't even see him, but still got the certificate :o ). But if they were to make it a real requirement with stricter conditions, it could mean that a lot of people would have to return "home" to die. :D It would also, of course, stop a lot of people trying to retire here in the first place.

RDN, my gut feeling is, if they're quite happy to give continual 90 day extensions to those unable to travel due to poor health, then I wouldn't feel a concern about staying here. Even if someone's health sucks, what would be the problem for Thailand? I can't think of any.

Not to mention that they are now talking about promoting Thailand as a place to come for cheaper long term health care for old and disabled folks....

But I certainly would like to hear any experiences from folks to suggest real cause for concern. I have already planned my cremation ceremony at a beautiful spot near Mae Tang, and I wouldn't want to have to change my plans now.. :D

Edited by Ajarn

He's trying to avoid the wait until he's 50. There's no reason whatsoever for Immigration to amend his visa type because he simply deesn't meet the age criteria.