Lan

Sel

Problem

I have

1. Desktop (with ethernet port, several USB2.0)

2. 2 Laptops (with ethernet ports, IEEE1394 ports, several USB2.0)

3. Printer (usb)

4. Scanner (usb)

5. True ADSL with billion modem

6. Windows XP pro on all computers

I would like to share the internet connection, share/access files from the any of the computers on the network, and share the printer and scanner between the three computers using the desktop as the station where the printer and scanner are directly plugged into.

Questions

What other hardware do I need? Router? Hub? Cable?

Recomended brands from Panthip or somewhere? What do thing the cost is?

Then how do I set up the network with the operating system?

A lot of information I suppose. Appreciate any help.

To connect the computers, you need a switching hub and 3 ethernet lan cables (2-3k). To share the connection, you can either use your current hardware and share via software on the desktop (windows ICS or wingate/winroute), or you can buy an ADSL router/modem for about 3-5k. Using a router/modem means that you don't have to have the desktop on when you want to use the connection. However, since you intend to use the desktop to share the printer/scanner, then you'll probably leave it on, which means you don't need a router/modem.

To setup the network, just go through the windows wizards... there are a lot in XP.

You can share the printer and internet connection, but you won't be able to share the scanner (not unless your scanner software supports that function and I very much doubt that it does). Check this out if it is important.

Any network hub will do. Same for the cables. Booted cables are best (ones with a decent moulded plug with a protective shroud) but even the cheap ones will probably be just fine. Doesn't need to be a switching hub but if you are buying new it will be. There's another solution using just network cards and no hub but that's just being plain mean. Regarding the router, I have no idea about home routers, only the bigger stuff. Visit Pantip (or similar), note down some model names, and then check them out on the net.

Good luck.