Motorcyclist Critically Injured in Tunnel Crash; Gas Truck Overturns causing Traffic Chaos

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of Khaosod

A motorcycle rider was critically injured today in the Maha Sawat tunnel en route to Dao Khanong. It was reported that he lost control of his bike, and subsequently plunged into a roadside drainage pipe.

The rider suffered severe injuries to his left arm and leg. He was immediately brought to Taksin Hospital by an advance rescue vehicle from Thung Khru.

The Maha Sawat tunnel has a history of such accidents. This unfortunate incident happened at approximately 5.50 am.

Prompt response from several volunteer teams from Burana 294, Cheng Long 50, Move Fast Zone 3, D Ward 37, and Po Tek Tung helped manage the situation effectively. Their coordination managed through Buppha015 Zone 3 and Rescue V.2 notifications was instrumental in providing the emergency services required.

In a separate incident, a gas truck flipped over on the Kanchanaphisek Expressway today, causing a multitude of gas cylinders to scatter across the road. This mishap led to significant disruption of traffic. Reported to have occurred at around 8.30 am, the event resulted in one person being injured and a traffic deadlock that lasted almost two hours.

The accident occurred near the Thepharak exit ramp, obstructing the right lanes of the expressway and causing chaos in the early hours of the morning.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 3

Are motorcycles permitted in that tunnel?

Note that the the section of ducting (conduit) adjacent to the stretcher is uncovered whilst furher back it IS covered. 

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Are motorcycles permitted in that tunnel?

Note that the the section of ducting (conduit) adjacent to the stretcher is uncovered whilst furher back it IS covered. 

Thats what I thought...   but then I figured, does it matter if motorcyclist are permitted in the tunnel or not ??

The guy still 'rode off the road' it appears...       he'd be in serious condition wherever it was.

A 'cover being removed' resulting in the death of someone...  Thats the 3rd story I've read today of a 'cover to something' being removed leading to death or serious injury. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats what I thought...   but then I figured, does it matter if motorcyclist are permitted in the tunnel or not ??

The guy still 'rode off the road' it appears...       he'd be in serious condition wherever it was.

A 'cover being removed' resulting in the death of someone...  Thats the 3rd story I've read today of a 'cover to something' being removed leading to death or serious injury. 

According to late news on Thai TV last night the unfortunate rider died latet. There was much comment and video of missing covers along the length of the 'conduit'. The covers were said to have been "stolen".

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

According to late news on Thai TV last night the unfortunate rider died latet. There was much comment and video of missing covers along the length of the 'conduit'. The covers were said to have been "stolen".

How many road deaths are being cause by thieving scum ??...   The guy who fell down the manhole cover, the guy in this story... 

Although it could be argued both should have been more careful...  thats an incredibly unfair argument.

Then there is also a lady who ended up in a conduit which on the side of the road. 

All these issues are from 'un-marked' open ditches (or poorly secured ditches) which authorities have not ensured are safe. 

Even if something is stolen, how long does it take for authorities to professionally respond ?

-------

On another note: I kind of understand some pond-life scum thieving a manhole cover - they can sell the metal. 

But, who thieves a concrete slab from a pipe / cable conduit inside a road tunnel ????  IMO - this is BS and is just the authorities saving face, because some workers had removed the conduit to do some work and not bothered to replace it (that seems more likely IMO).

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, who thieves a concrete slab from a pipe / cable conduit inside a road tunnel ????  IMO - this is BS and is just the authorities saving face, because some workers had removed the conduit to do some work and not bothered to replace it (that seems more likely IMO).

Agree unless, they are being used elsewhere to cover up other missing covers, it wouldn't even surprise me if they were even reshaping them to fit the the holes of metal round ones, that have been stolen, I hate to say this but TIT. 

• Thumbs Up 1