Abhisit Vejjajiva Elected New Prime Minister Of Thailand

george

Data can be used to draw conclusions about long-term effects of the airport closure.

For example, one could look at monthly trends in tourism number for the year before and after.

Then compare these trends to tourism numbers in other countries in the region.

If the numbers for Thailand dropped significantly more than other countries, one could then make the conclusion that the increased drop is not to the global economy.

srirachi john is simply proposing that we look at data before making conclusions about how X effected Y. This seems reasonable to me.

Data can be collected to estimate the long term effect if any is a direct result of the airport closer, but no one was arguing long term effects. The statements were made that the HUGE drop in tourism after the airport closer was a result of the closer.

Long term effect remains to be seen, but nobody was talking about long term effects in this post. People were talking about this high season NOW and a few months in the future. Nobody was talking 6+ months.

Long-Term Effects = Important

One-Off Occurance with No Long-Term Effect = Meaningless

Long-term Effects and Short Term Effects are both really important, thoses Thai's that looses there job and can't feed there family this season is not important?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So blaming the current political situation or PAD for the downfall in tourism is simply not correct.

High season had already started off fairly well before the idiots took over the airport and ruined it. Things have not bounced back. The PAD and their supporters and apologists are directly responsible! :o

you just edited all my arguments that proved the PAD is not responsible for the downfall of tourism. You not even contradict even one of them, you did this just keep to your blindfold on, so you can go on ranting.

I think unless you are based in the tourism industry, you will not have any idea how badly the airport blockade has affected tourism. World situation would have some effect as it always does, but you do have different market sectors that can address the balance. You would at least keep everyone turning over. In fact this couldn't have happened in a worse year. The months of Dec and Jan should have been as busy as previous years and for many businesses this time will tide them over for a tougher low season. What you now have is the profit making season decimated and along with it many businesses security blanket for the coming year.

In case you are not familiar with the business even in times of economic incertitude at holiday times you will get short haul travellers including many expats (HK, Sing, Jap etc) who are more than enough to boost up the holiday period and make up for any fall off in the long haul market.

Many of these have chosen other destinations for their holiday specifically because of the airports and this loss of prime time income will send many businesses into the red by the beginning of next year.

Abhisit faces a lose/lose situation with North East Thailand

If he doesn't help them to become upwardly mobile and migrate economically into the middle class he gets criticised

If he does help them - then he kills the Thai tourist industry.

Why would helping the North East economic development be detrimental to the tourist industry?

So blaming the current political situation or PAD for the downfall in tourism is simply not correct.

High season had already started off fairly well before the idiots took over the airport and ruined it. Things have not bounced back. The PAD and their supporters and apologists are directly responsible! :o

you just edited all my arguments that proved the PAD is not responsible for the downfall of tourism. You not even contradict even one of them, you did this just keep to your blindfold on, so you can go on ranting.

I think unless you are based in the tourism industry, you will not have any idea how badly the airport blockade has affected tourism. World situation would have some effect as it always does, but you do have different market sectors that can address the balance. You would at least keep everyone turning over. In fact this couldn't have happened in a worse year. The months of Dec and Jan should have been as busy as previous years and for many businesses this time will tide them over for a tougher low season. What you now have is the profit making season decimated and along with it many businesses security blanket for the coming year.

In case you are not familiar with the business even in times of economic incertitude at holiday times you will get short haul travellers including many expats (HK, Sing, Jap etc) who are more than enough to boost up the holiday period and make up for any fall off in the long haul market.

Many of these have chosen other destinations for their holiday specifically because of the airports and this loss of prime time income will send many businesses into the red by the beginning of next year.

I stress that the following is purely anecdotal, but it does nevertheless form part of the picture. I have friends in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur with whom I chat online regularly; in the past weeks, four of them have asked me if I am "OK". They are graduates, generally well-informed and probably travel more than the average HK/KL people - yet their perception of the situation here from what they see/read is that it's just not safe to be in Thailand right now. It's untrue, of course - but that's the perception. One works for a major KL-based engineering company and stayed with me for a week in mid-November. After he returned to KL, he commented to me that he "got out just in time" - his company has suspended all travel for its employees to Thailand. As of last night, that travel ban is still in place. Do I think it's justified? No - but that's the perception they have.

Investigation on red-shirted group rally yesterday is underway

Acting Royal Thai Polices Commissioner-General has delegated Police Lieutenant-General Panupong Singhara Na Ayutthaya to investigate the red-shirted group’s rally yesterday which led to injuries among many innocent people.

Police Lieutenant-General Pongtat Pongcharoen, Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner-General, revealed today that the Acting Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General had entrusted Police Lieutenant-General Panupong Singhara Na Ayutthaya, also acting as Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner-General, to investigate the red-shirted group’s rally at the Parliament compound yesterday.

Those who were physically injured by the rally had decided to file complaints, requesting the authorities bring the culprits to justice.

Police Lieutenant-General Panupong has been instructed to tighten security measures in dealing with possible violent confrontations between different protesting groups. Meanwhile, police officials were also put in place at various key political figures’ private residences and required to report on any disturbances back to the headquarters immediately.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-16

Expect more vigorous pursuit of cases against the reds because:

1. They have no protection

2. The high ranking Thaksinista police wont want to lose their jobs and so will have to prove they dont mind dealing with the red shirts.

3. The public are sick of demonstrsators and want to see action against them

4. This government as precarious as many analysts see it is deemd by the powerful to be the way forward and hence has power.

Investigation on red-shirted group rally yesterday is underway

Expect more vigorous pursuit of cases against the reds because:

1. They have no protection

2. The high ranking Thaksinista police wont want to lose their jobs and so will have to prove they dont mind dealing with the red shirts.

3. The public are sick of demonstrsators and want to see action against them

4. This government as precarious as many analysts see it is deemd by the powerful to be the way forward and hence has power.

They should be arrested, just as the PAD people should be arrested. If you break the law, you should get punished.

The sad part is that the reds that damaged those cars costing thousands in damage will end up arrested, and the PAD leaders that shut down 4 airports, seaport, and train service costing millions in damage will walk away clean..... It’s a shame that the law in Thailand more often than not, is not the same for all people.

That said its nice the police may actually do their job this time and put some law breakers behind bars.

Edited by MyphuketLife

^But surely the red shirts want a violent outcome. It serves their purpose precisely to goad a police that at times was perceived as going easy on the yellows.

In this sense the provocative intent of both sets of demonstrators is to stimulate the same reaction.

The leaders of the reds presumably would want to show the incongruity of their people taking more of a pasting than was meted out to the other side.

Edited by Journalist

^But surely the red shirts want a violent outcome. It serves their purpose precisely to goad a police that at times was perceived as going easy on the yellows.

In this sense the provocative intent of both sets of demonstrators is to stimulate the same reaction.

The leaders of the reds presumably would want to show the incongruity of their people taking more of a pasting than was meted out to the other side.

They'll need to have a few limbs blown off first..

It will just be a test of protest fatigue allowing the clearing up of the demos whoever they are by or a we are just poor downtrodden innocents harshly treated by the authorities getting sympathy. I tend to think the former is more likely now. It will be difficult for the reds. Already the news reports show them as a rock throwing rabble and up country governors are appealing for people to join hands and work for the country and not join red shirt mobs. The apparatus of information are working against the reds and this time they dont have Newin's powerful village head and TAO networks to help them in half the Isaan.

^We'll see, but of course they only need a core of hardliners to cause mayhem.

There should be a lull now, so i'm using the opportunity to fly in for a two week break. Certainly easy to get flights. Not sure if many other potential visitors are being so pragmatic about using this window.

^We'll see, but of course they only need a core of hardliners to cause mayhem.

There should be a lull now, so i'm using the opportunity to fly in for a two week break. Certainly easy to get flights. Not sure if many other potential visitors are being so pragmatic about using this window.

need a place to stay? strangely enough, we have vacancies... :o

maybe I'm not familiar with the tourist industry but i can read reports.

City trips who where very popular in Europe are going down with almost 40%

Winter holiday bookings are going down also, even the cancellations rates go up.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/200...r-bookings.html

And in Europe all airports where open.

I think you really underestimate the impact of the international financial crisis on the tourist industry.

I think most of the people in the tourist industry who blame the closure of airports for the drops in tourism find this conclusion less frightening than the prospect that their industry will suffer very hard the coming 2 or 3 years. Personally I think that because of this financial crisis many companies in the leisure industry will face bankruptcy.

We don't have the figures yet , but I think that tourism in the neighbouring countries like Vietnam, Laos and cambodia will have almost the same drops in tourism a Thailand next year.

All of this is not meaning that the closure of the airports have no effect at all, but its IMHO strongly overrated. Because the meltdown of the economy and the impact on peoples spending was simultaneous with the closings, that's why we should be very careful before make conclusions.

Lucky the Baht is becoming less expensive and the fuel prices are down, maybe this could have some positive effect, lets hope so.

I stress that the following is purely anecdotal, but it does nevertheless form part of the picture. I have friends in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur with whom I chat online regularly; in the past weeks, four of them have asked me if I am "OK". They are graduates, generally well-informed and probably travel more than the average HK/KL people - yet their perception of the situation here from what they see/read is that it's just not safe to be in Thailand right now. It's untrue, of course - but that's the perception. One works for a major KL-based engineering company and stayed with me for a week in mid-November. After he returned to KL, he commented to me that he "got out just in time" - his company has suspended all travel for its employees to Thailand. As of last night, that travel ban is still in place. Do I think it's justified? No - but that's the perception they have.

All my previous comments where from an European point of view. Europeans are maybe more familiar with closed airports and large demonstrations who block an whole country for several day's. Almost every year when the holliday season starts one or two airports in Europe are blocked by strikes. Or the theaircontrol strike in some other country.

So far the Nation posted reports about notorious Chiang Mai and Udon groups getting ready to come to Bangkok and prevent Abhisit from delivering policy speech to the Parliament sometime next week.

While tey can muster about a thousand real thugs for the cause, without a convincing crowd of peaceful supporters they would look exactly like that - a bunch of thugs on a rampage.

On Oct 7 PAD was able to seal off parliament because they had enough bodies to simply walk over and surround it. Tear gassing was used to push them back and it looked very bad for the police image.

With reds it will be thugs attacking lines of the police with sticks and stones - completely different public perception.

They would rather hurt their cause and no one would join their "rallies" ever again.

"The people of the north East are the servants of Bangkok people"

In my experience I think that this statement is absolutely correct. The Bangkok business owners make money from farmers in the North East. The people in the North East constitute the biggest rice exporter in the world. (Who makes the profit)? Most of the people doing unskilled work in Bangkok are from the North East.

Where is the problem in that statement?

Cheers, Rick

Can say the same about your average worker in middle America vs NY

or other major city players in much the same way.

Those that create jobs employ those that need them.

Cities attract those that create jobs and by extension

the distribution networks to deliver products

AND many of those wanting jobs.

Worked much the same in any social system left or right,

no matter what political patina was overlaid..

My point exactly!

Maybe a stupid time to come out with a statement like this, but it is in fact the truth.

Cheers, Rick

So far the Nation posted reports about notorious Chiang Mai and Udon groups getting ready to come to Bangkok and prevent Abhisit from delivering policy speech to the Parliament sometime next week.

While tey can muster about a thousand real thugs for the cause, without a convincing crowd of peaceful supporters they would look exactly like that - a bunch of thugs on a rampage.

On Oct 7 PAD was able to seal off parliament because they had enough bodies to simply walk over and surround it. Tear gassing was used to push them back and it looked very bad for the police image.

With reds it will be thugs attacking lines of the police with sticks and stones - completely different public perception.

They would rather hurt their cause and no one would join their "rallies" ever again.

The Police will be aware of this and take action against them. If they can't handle it i am sure that the Army will be available to do so this time.

Cheers, Rick

Tactically it is a bad idea for the red shirts to attack the Dems from day one. Allowing the government time to announce cabinet, polices and maybe make an announcemtn on national reconcilliation would work better if the reds want to talk about democracy. If they dont allow any leaway they will immediately look intransigent, confrontational and probably violent. That wont help their cause at all. They should also realise that the media are ready to reprot on every graphic detail of what they do. The question is have the reds learned the lesson of the Prem House fiasco when it was reported world wide that they had rioted and attacked police?

Tactically it is a bad idea for the red shirts to attack the Dems from day one. Allowing the government time to announce cabinet, polices and maybe make an announcemtn on national reconcilliation would work better

If the policies, and especially national reconcilliation agenda, are accepted by the public, the red will lose all the reasons to protest at all.

So far they go on "illegitimate, military installed government" rally cry. After acceptable policy speech it won't fly anymore.

So, tactically, they must present themselves as victims, they need violence to justify their existence.

Tactically it is a bad idea for the red shirts to attack the Dems from day one. Allowing the government time to announce cabinet, polices and maybe make an announcemtn on national reconcilliation would work better

If the policies, and especially national reconcilliation agenda, are accepted by the public, the red will lose all the reasons to protest at all.

So far they go on "illegitimate, military installed government" rally cry. After acceptable policy speech it won't fly anymore.

So, tactically, they must present themselves as victims, they need violence to justify their existence.

under direct orders from mr ex pm convicted criminal on the run thaksin.

I think most of the people in the tourist industry who blame the closure of airports for the drops in tourism find this conclusion less frightening than the prospect that their industry will suffer very hard the coming 2 or 3 years. Personally I think that because of this financial crisis many companies in the leisure industry will face bankruptcy.

All of this is not meaning that the closure of the airports have no effect at all, but its IMHO strongly overrated.

Your predictions about the future very well might be correct, but a lot of people had already booked vacations for this year and had intended to take them. Things would not have been as lucrative as other years, but it was already obvious that it would not have been a bad high season if things in Thailand had remained stable and businesses could have save a little cushion for the low season. However, certain fascist thugs took over the airport and ruined high season for almost everybody. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

All of this is not meaning that the closure of the airports have no effect at all, but its IMHO strongly overrated.

Your predictions about the future very well might be correct, but a lot of people had already booked vacations for this year and had intended to take them. Things would not have been as lucrative as other years, but it was already obvious that it would not have been a bad high season if things in Thailand had remained stable and businesses could have save a little cushion for the high season. However, certain fascist thugs took over the airport and ruined low season for almost everybody. :o

I think you did not see thisn link

THAI pleased by pace of traffic recovery

Less than two weeks after resuming normal flight operations through Bangkok's two airports, Thai Airways International has begun to see a recovery in passenger traffic through its hubs.

The pace of recovery, particularly on intercontinental routes, has been a pleasant surprise for THAI executives who were in the state of despair when members People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) laid siege to Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports from Nov 25 to Dec 2, shutting down all commercial flights through the capital.

But the recovery rate on THAI's regional routes has been slower, with sluggish demand from major markets including Japan, China and South Korea.

Intercontinental traffic from Europe, North America and Australia and New Zealand has shown greater resilience, said THAI executive vice-president Pandit Chanapai.

continues: http://www.bangkokpost.com/171208_Business...c2008_biz30.php

=========================================================================

"Get Your Baht To Thailand" promotion - AirAsia offers 100,000 free tickets to Thailand

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — Southeast Asia's top budget carrier AirAsia said Tuesday it would offer 100,000 free tickets to Thailand under a regional marketing campaign to support its tourism industry battered by recent political unrest.

AirAsia said it would collaborate with Tourism Authority of Thailand to bring back tourists and businessmen by "reinstating the core message that it is now safe to travel back to the Land of Smiles."

Under its campaign themed "Get Your Baht To Thailand" — a play on the Thai currency — AirAsia will give away 100,00 free tickets to Bangkok from Vietnam, Cambodia, Myammar, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and China, as well as for flights within Thailand.

Passengers will only have to pay airport taxes and administration fee. AirAsia last month abolished fuel surcharges on all its flights.

"We hope that this campaign will instill the confidence among travelers and also help to boost tourism which is vital at this juncture," Group Chief Executive Tony Fernandes said in a statement.

Tickets can only be purchased online at AirAsia's Web site over the next three days from Wednesday for travel between Jan. 6 and March 31.

AirAsia operates over 400 international weekly flights that connect Thailand to the rest of Southeast Asia and China. Within Thailand, its affiliate, Thai AirAsia, operates 378 flights weekly.

Thailand's tourism industry is suffering after months of anti-government protests culminated last month with demonstrators taking over Bangkok's two main airports for a week.

A measure of political stability has returned to Thailand after the parliament selected a new prime minister Monday, but the political turmoil and airport shutdown are expected to discourage travelers from visiting Thailand.

The governing coalition is so fragile, the Reds probably don't have to bother to de-stabilise anything

The first time Abhisit catches Newin with his fingers in the till, its all over. Its just a matter of time and probably sooner rather than later, given the ghastly old relics that Abhisit is now tango'ing with in Parliament.

Personally, I share in the hope by a majority here for a more optimistic future for Thailand.

(doomsayers obviously have other agendas)

However, this won't be accomplished by comparison's of lawlessness by one side or the other...

Now is the time to work towards a better path ahead, by all sides, for all sides, and ultimately for all Thailand

(not just for one's narrow ideology or for one man's greed and ego).

Edited by baht&sold

Your predictions about the future very well might be correct, but a lot of people had already booked vacations for this year and had intended to take them. Things would not have been as lucrative as other years, but it was already obvious that it would not have been a bad high season if things in Thailand had remained stable and businesses could have save a little cushion for the high season. However, certain fascist thugs took over the airport and ruined low season for almost everybody. :D

I think you did not see thisn link

I have no issue with that article, however, it is obvious that there were still enough people coming to Thailand to have an acceptable high season until the idiots took over the airport. Acceptable is better than deplorable! :o

for those that want to believe the PAD airport had very little effect on tourism: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Free-Tickets...nd-t230085.html

why does AirAsia see it different? but what do they know, its not like they are a major airline with allot invested in the thailand tourism industry :o

Edited by MyphuketLife

I have no issue with that article, however, it is obvious that there were still enough people coming to Thailand to have an acceptable high season until the idiots took over the airport. Acceptable is better than deplorable! :D

If the main idiot would have stopped trying to take over the country from afar using any and all means money could buy (internally and externally), then the other 'idiots' would never have taken any of the deplorable actions they did.

Prediction 1: Thailand will defy doomsayers, tourists will start returning almost immediately (in #s commensurate to world economic conditions)

Prediction 2: Abhisit will defy doomsayers, turn Thailand around, become the show-piece of Asean leaders and respected Internationally

Prediction 3: Thaksin (and his followers here) will never, ever stop trying to prevent the above (also via his PR man Sam Moon/The Economist/BusinessWeek partner)

Prediction 4: Thaksin and his blinkered supporters will try but will ultimately lose, thus THAILAND will win (not just one man and one's narrow ideology).

:o

Edited by baht&sold

I have no issue with that article, however, it is obvious that there were still enough people coming to Thailand to have an acceptable high season until the idiots took over the airport. Acceptable is better than deplorable! :D

If the main idiot would have stopped trying to take over the country from afar using any and all means money could buy (internally and externally), then the other 'idiots' would never have taken any of the deplorable actions they did.

Prediction 1: Thailand will defy doomsayers, tourists will start returning almost immediately (in #s commensurate to world economic conditions)

Prediction 2: Abhisit will defy doomsayers, turn Thailand around, become the show-piece of Asean leaders and respected Internationally

Prediction 3: Thaksin (and his followers here) will never, ever stop trying to prevent the above (also via his PR man Sam Moon/The Economist/BusinessWeek partner)

Prediction 4: Thaksin and his blinkered supporters will try but will ultimately lose, thus THAILAND will win (not just one man and one's narrow ideology).

:o

So two wrongs do make it right? That goes against my believe system, but we all have our opinions...

Your posts keep talking about these "doomsayers" who are they? So far on this thread I have only seen people saying the the PAD ruined this high season, or that the HUGE drop in tourists following the airport closer was a result of the PAD actions.

I have not seen any one saying people will never travel to thailand again, or anything "doomsday"....

So you keep saying doomsayers please point them out. And qouting their words point out why their statements are "doomsday" statements.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, is there anybody who actually wishes the new government ill? I am sure everytime we have had a change of government most of us have hoped it would do well. I am sure there are not people who actively want to see the country crash further just because they dont like a government.

Lets hope this lot dont disappoint.