Wireles Router

chang35baht

Hi guys, just bought a Buffalo WBMR-G54 Broadband modem router. Hard wiring it to my kids desktop and wi-fi to my laptop.

Instructions state that I should have my username and password ready from my adsl a/c when carrying out the wizard install. But I`m sure it`s just plug in and go with my TOT set up, which was installed for the kids when I was out the country on a dedicated line.

Anyhow, at the tail end of the wizard installation it tries to check the internet conxn but it says there isn`t one. Nor at any time does it ask me for username or pasword.

My laptop is picking up the signal from the wifi router just fine but there is no internet conxn. No internet conxn on the desktop either.

On the wifi modem router the power led is ok, the status led is flashing intermittently as it is meant to . The adsl led is steady as it`s meant to and the wlan led is steady as it`s meant to.

One thing, there is no led lit for the one of 4 lan ports that I plug into for the desktop conxn.

I`ve installed the software onto the desktop. should I be installing it onto my laptop instead? I`m not sure. At the end of the installation it tells me to plug in the device. But the instructions tell you to pre-wire everything. Confused a little by this.

I`m trying to give you as much info as poss. Sorry if it`s not enough

I`m no comp. whizz kid by any means as you probably guessed, but would like to try and get this up and runing myself before giving the guy in Chiang Rai Technocom the 800 Baht he wants to install it for me.

Don`t get me wrong, it`s a good shop and I`ll pay it. But it would be nice if, with your help, I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chang35baht.

Hi guys, just bought a Buffalo WBMR-G54 Broadband modem router. Hard wiring it to my kids desktop and wi-fi to my laptop.

Instructions state that I should have my username and password ready from my adsl a/c when carrying out the wizard install. But I`m sure it`s just plug in and go with my TOT set up, which was installed for the kids when I was out the country on a dedicated line.

Anyhow, at the tail end of the wizard installation it tries to check the internet conxn but it says there isn`t one. Nor at any time does it ask me for username or pasword.

My laptop is picking up the signal from the wifi router just fine but there is no internet conxn. No internet conxn on the desktop either.

On the wifi modem router the power led is ok, the status led is flashing intermittently as it is meant to . The adsl led is steady as it`s meant to and the wlan led is steady as it`s meant to.

One thing, there is no led lit for the one of 4 lan ports that I plug into for the desktop conxn.

I`ve installed the software onto the desktop. should I be installing it onto my laptop instead? I`m not sure. At the end of the installation it tells me to plug in the device. But the instructions tell you to pre-wire everything. Confused a little by this.

I`m trying to give you as much info as poss. Sorry if it`s not enough

I`m no comp. whizz kid by any means as you probably guessed, but would like to try and get this up and runing myself before giving the guy in Chiang Rai Technocom the 800 Baht he wants to install it for me.

Don`t get me wrong, it`s a good shop and I`ll pay it. But it would be nice if, with your help, I can do it myself.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chang35baht.

[/quote

I do not know your router but i think that you will need a user name and password from TOT I did when I had TOT it will be something like your full telephone number@whatever you are on ie. supercyber or cybergold and your original password given by TOT will be your full telephone number

It seems to be quite expensive 800B to connect it when I purchased me Netgear the shop owner set it up for me before I left the shop all I had to do was plug it in and tell my computer what the wireless password was (not the Internet connection password)

Hope this is of help

You really need to have the password and username of your internet connection, along with the vpi/vci settings. They should have been supplied to you by TOT on a paper along with the modem you got from them.

When you find these you'll have to run through the wizard of the Buffalo again.

Type 192.168.11.1 in the address bar of internet explorer and a box will pop asking username and password. Enter "admin" for both.

Then in the middle of the screen click on the run the wizard button.

Next screen you'll have to enter your time zone (GMT +7 for Thailand).

Next screen up you choose the connection type. You have to mark PPPoE/PPPoA.

Next screen up you enter the info found on the paper from TOT (username, password, vpi, vci and connection type you set at PPoE LLC)

After that I guess you'll get a save and restart option, after which the modem should reboot and establish the internet connection.

Ok guys, thanks very much for your replies.

Got the username and password from my daughter already.

Should I be installing from the cd on the kids desktop comp. which will be on one of the LAN cable ports or on to my laptop, which will be the wireless receiving computer?

Please bear with me on this. I told you I`m no expert.

Thanks again

Oh and another question. When you tell me to type in the ip address 192.168.1.1 is this from the new wireless modem?

Edited by chang35baht

You can basically type the IP address from anywhere on the network, wireless or wired.

You do not need any software nor CD, just type the ip address in your browser. This IP address will direct you to the web based set-up system of your router.

I assumed the IP address would be 192.168.11.1 because I downloaded the manual from that particular model and it states:

Login to Home Page

To use the web-based management software, launch a suitable web browser and direct it to the IP address of the Router. Type in http:// followed by the default IP address, 192.168.11.1 in the address bar of the browser. The URL in the address bar should read: http://192.168.1.1.

A dialog box prompts for the User Name and Password. Type in the default User Name “admin,” and the default Password “admin” then click the OK button to access the web-based manager.

Enter Password

You should change the web-based manager access user name and password once you have verified that a connection can be established. The user name and password allows any PC within the same subnet as the Router to access the web-based manger. Note

The user name and password used to access the web-based manager is NOT the same as the ADSL account user name and password needed for PPPoE/PPPoA connections to access the Internet.

Which states 2 different IP's :D. Obviously 192.168.1.1 it'll be, it's probably used by 99.99% of the routers on the market! Silly me, and that was waay before my first beer :o

HI guys. I`ve made some progress thanks to you. Actually 192.168.1.1 got a ccannot find this page response. Wheras .11.1 immediately brought up the Buffalo wizard page. conxn established. Went thru the wiz process. Still don`t have the vci/vpi values as tot didn`t give them to my daughter before. Still waiting for them to phone me back with this info. Left in the 0 and 38 values for the hel_l of it. Don`t know if `i have an PPPoA VC-Mux or PPPoE LLC or PPPoA LLC conxn type. so default was first one, left that in. Save and restart. Conxn remains stable ok. But, when I try to access a website, no can do. IE cannot display this page. So I must have to Change one or more of the boxes I left as the default settings and possibly more. That`s as far as I`ve got at the moment chaps. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Chang35baht. :o