Ripping Encrypted Dvd Then Changing To .mp4

livinthailandos

I've been searching for information on the internet for this kind of thing but the answers aren't clear or only tell you what programs to use. I do realize that that my opinions are using

VLC PLAYER

HANDBRAKE

but I can't find anywhere a step by step process of doing this, I've checked out lifehacker and many ubuntu related sights for this, is there any one here using ubuntu that has successful ripped encrypted dvd's then changed then to .mp4 using vlc player or handbrake if so can you provide step by step details on how to do it. Most websites show handbrake or vlc for using on mac or windows but not ubuntu / linux. Any help or links you can provide would be useful thanks

I've used dvd::rip to transcode dvds before, but note that it doesn't support x.264 that well on Ubuntu's repository version that I've tried (for Ubuntu 7.10; perhaps updating to a more recent version of transcode would fix that). Xvid is wonderful on it, and on a multiprocessor machine it is quite fast.

As long as you have libdvdcss installed (can you watch movies on your Ubuntu box?), it should be self explanatory how to use. If you're comfortable at the CLI, you can build it from source and have the latest and greatest.

Search for mplayer and mencoder howtos. The player has a -dumstream option and mencoder can encode to a huge range of outputs using most of the same encoder libraries as all the other tools...

It is a pretty arcane command-line tool, so you need to either read and understand documentation and start tinkering, or find some existing scripts on the web that would suit your purpose. I've never done what you are asking, but I have done the different steps and it should be possible. I've dumped a DVD onto my laptop for later viewing from HDD, and I've converted other mpeg streams using the x264 codec into AVI files, but the manpage suggests it can do MP4 and even has a special flag for ipod to get the right type of MP4 for those... I can never remember how to use it and have to re-read the documentation constantly. It's a swiss army knife of a utility...