Sometimes It Works The Way Its Supposed Too.

jbowman1993

Last night as the missus and I were taking our 3 yr old Toyota Prerunner to the landscaping store, and were stopped in the left lane as a bus loaded and unloaded passengers on Boromrachachonnani Road, when a guy slammed into us about about 50 kph from the rear. No one was hurt. fortunately. My truck only had minor damage to the bumper but the body appears to be unharmed. The front end of his car was undrivable however, as it had wedged itself underneath my truck, radiator fluid everywhere.

Police arrived within 5 minutes, marked off the scene with spray paint and asked us to move our vehicles to the side of the road. I drove mine and we pushed the car. The police took a few minutes, pronounced the other driver at fault, handed the other driver's licence to us to hold on to (in case he did a runner while waiting for the insurance companies, apparently). Both of our insurance company guys arrived about 45 minutes after the accident, took pictures, assessed damnages, filled out forms, and we were on our way within the hour. His fault, and no talk of "Bilk the foreigner".

Sometimes it works the way its supposed to, and for those occasions, I am grateful!

Peace

A friend of mine was sat at some traffic lights. One car in front of him. Another comes up behind him, hits his car and knocks it forwards into the car in front.

The car in front was driven by a policeman. The car that hit him from behind was driven by a Thai lawyer.

My friend couldn't believe how unlucky he was, fully expecting to be blamed for everything. Then he was surprised when the two Thais told him not to worry, not his fault and they would sort it all out.

They did too.

Yes, there are probably more times than we'd admit that it all turns out exactly as it should but it just doesn't make the same grade as the usual "I was blamed because I am a farang and shouldn't have been here and my license plate was an unlucky number and the other guy was a pal of the police chief" stories. :o

But my understanding of accidents with a car vs a motorbike it's a different story. I have heard of motorcyclists running into back of cars and supposedly its the car driver's fault somehow. The fact they sustain head injuries with no helmet seems insignificant. Anyone had such an incident with a bike? Hopefully its just an urban legend of sorts..

A friend of mine was sat at some traffic lights. One car in front of him. Another comes up behind him, hits his car and knocks it forwards into the car in front.

The car in front was driven by a policeman. The car that hit him from behind was driven by a Thai lawyer.

My friend couldn't believe how unlucky he was, fully expecting to be blamed for everything. Then he was surprised when the two Thais told him not to worry, not his fault and they would sort it all out.

They did too.

I may be wrong, but if that was in the UK and he was stationary at a red light. The police would have asked him if he had his handbrake on. If he was relying on the footbrake only, he would be at fault for hitting the car in front. The driver behind would have been responsible for damage to one vehicle only.

They did too.

I may be wrong, but if that was in the UK and he was stationary at a red light. The police would have asked him if he had his handbrake on. If he was relying on the footbrake only, he would be at fault for hitting the car in front. The driver behind would have been responsible for damage to one vehicle only.

Sounds like the UK has some pretty weird driving rules...... I think it's strange that putting on the emergency brake (hand brake) when stopped at a stop sign or traffic light is ridiculous...

The idea is, if you are parked, relying on your footbrake. An impact from behind can make your foot lose the pedal. The result being you are pushed forward into the vehicle in front. If you are on the hand brake, then that risk isn't there.

Also it is part of the UK driving test, if you stop at a red light during the test, and do not apply the handbrake you fail the test.

Edited by Mosha

But my understanding of accidents with a car vs a motorbike it's a different story. I have heard of motorcyclists running into back of cars and supposedly its the car driver's fault somehow. The fact they sustain head injuries with no helmet seems insignificant. Anyone had such an incident with a bike? Hopefully its just an urban legend of sorts..

I had, and the motorcyclist was at fault.

The main question from the insurance guy was: "Was I changing lane when the accident happen?" and the answer was "No".

Luckily, he was not seriously injured. I let him drive back his bike to his work place, and he came back later to settle the paperwork.

It is not an urban legend. I am currently involved in such a case. My car was struck by a motobike while he was attempting to make a u-turn. The police at the scene told us it was not our fault, 4 witnesses (drivers behind us) said it was not our fault, our insurance man said it was not our fault.......but we are going to court because we are being sued for injuries by the motobike driver. Doesn't matter that he had no drivers license, insurance or current registration.

We were politely ask by the policeman to be nice to the "poor" old man and admit fault so that our insurance will pay his medical bills and repair his bike. But I told them to suck my %@$#.

Since my friend is a lawyer and is willing to work for free since he owes me BIG time.....I will let this drag on for as long as possible and will counter sue :o

Ski......

It is not an urban legend. I am currently involved in such a case. My car was struck by a motobike while he was attempting to make a u-turn. The police at the scene told us it was not our fault, 4 witnesses (drivers behind us) said it was not our fault, our insurance man said it was not our fault.......but we are going to court because we are being sued for injuries by the motobike driver. Doesn't matter that he had no drivers license, insurance or current registration.

We were politely ask by the policeman to be nice to the "poor" old man and admit fault so that our insurance will pay his medical bills and repair his bike. But I told them to suck my %@$#.

Since my friend is a lawyer and is willing to work for free since he owes me BIG time.....I will let this drag on for as long as possible and will counter sue :o

Ski......

Ski, I'm sorry to hear about that. So this guy wasn't covered by the 30 baht scheme? Surely he would get free treatment at a government hospital. I agree with you - let it drag out and drag through the courts. See who was in the wrong. But then again, if the medical bills 9and get the receipt) is small, might be best to pay it and be done with it. I certainly wouldn't pay up for any loss of income he has sustained though, through not being able to work. Let us know how it works out. I could only imagine the worst case is that the judge would ask you to cover medical costs - even then that would really piss me off too! These guys want to drive too fast without licences, insurance and helmets so they get what they deserve.

I had a simular case. Motorcycle hit me. My car stands still for 3 minutes, when i wating at the exit of a gasstation. I couldn't drive out from the gasstation during heavy traffic Motorclycle hit my car wit overspeed. He din't had a license. My isurance had to pay, because i was there. I din't cut his way, no i waiting for 3 minutes already.

Once i parket my car at private property near to a Sukhumvit Raod, over night. 2 cars had accident and one of them smashed in my Mitsubishi Galant Ultima (350'k, but to old to make full insurance) at that time. My car was compleatly wrecked. No one had a insurance. It was their fault. They offered me 10'000 Baht to repair my car. i refused the offer. My car was totally wrecked. I never goat a Dima afhter refusing the offer.

One thing i learnet at that time: Never drive a expensive car overhere. My final solution: Today i have a old Toyota Crown (year 75) and a old Oldsmible (year 77). both cars have real chassis and massive steelbumpers and are worthless. I never got any problems or parking damages anymore. So if a "plastic car" want hit the mine, please go on............

They did too.

The fact that you're telling this story, proves it is the exception. Exceptions will always exist, no surprise.

Hi :o

I had the "motorbike" situation. I was coming out of a soi and was hit by a motorbike which

- was traveling in the wrong direction (wrong side of the road)

- was speeding (police determined 100+ km/h)

- was not insured

- was not registered

- had no lights present (none physically on the bike, and the crash happened at night)

- the driver had no license

- the driver was drunk and almost unable to walk because of that

That bike disintegrated into the left front fender of my Volvo while they guy flew clean over the car and had a soft landing in the bushes on the other side of the road. He was unhurt save for a few scratches to his legs.

It was ME who was declared at fault because i had the nerve to come out of a soi, onto a main road! My insurance (1st class) paid for the damage to the vehicles but i had to pay 3,000 Baht to the guy (after quite some negotiation between him, his friend, the cop and my insurance guy) for "lost income" as repairing his bike would take "a week" during which he couldn't get to work! <deleted>. I myself would have fixed that bike in one day, and that guy is lucky if his job (if he had any at all) makes 250 Baht/day.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Glad to see it worked out for you jbowman1993

A question...did you need to show your passport to the police or insurance guy? The reason i ask is because in my other post I am asking whether my Thai licence has become invalid with a change in Passport and Visa numbers (renewals) and whether insurance companies could use that against me in an accident. If no one took any notice of your passport, then I would assume it's not an issue..

Edited by aromsia

As a farang you are alwways wrong in case of a accident, at least the police say so. But there are possibilities. If you drive a cheap junk car (you don't worry about), you can take the story to the court, if the police say you are wrong. Just don't sign anything and don't accept the polices decision. Both vehicles getting impounded by the police (yours and the others). If you car is nothing worth in compare with the otherone, wich is maybe much more expensive than yours, you can let the police take both vehicles into the police station where they locked up until a court date. It can take mounts. Use this advandage. So you can bluff them. You can say you don't care, bnecause your car is nothing worth. You'll see the other partie will give up, because they have much more to loose than you. Noone will let a expensive car into a policestation, because it's very risky. Parts gonna missing, acessory items are gone, after a couple weeks, etc. So if you have a junk car, you don't care. The other partie will take the fault, just to get the story ended that he get his expensive car out of the policestation. But the same game plays the "Slum Motorbikedriver". He knows that you have to take the fault and pay for him, because you don't want the police impound your car. The "Slum motorbike driver" (without license and drunk and not registered motorbike) have nothing to loose. His motorbike is just 2'000 Baht worth for the "chang kilo" That's the problem. But i would try to offer the police some T--- money, when i arriving at the accident. I'm quite sure he will help you. I would feel much better to pay the Police 10 grand, than to the Mister "Slum" 3 grand and the police will not share anything, im sure.

Glad to see it worked out for you jbowman1993

A question...did you need to show your passport to the police or insurance guy? The reason i ask is because in my other post I am asking whether my Thai licence has become invalid with a change in Passport and Visa numbers (renewals) and whether insurance companies could use that against me in an accident. If no one took any notice of your passport, then I would assume it's not an issue..

I don' t need to show my passport. I just show them my Mahidol University ID (i.e. Get out of jail free card) and thats all it takes, every time.

The idea is, if you are parked, relying on your footbrake. An impact from behind can make your foot lose the pedal. The result being you are pushed forward into the vehicle in front. If you are on the hand brake, then that risk isn't there.

Also it is part of the UK driving test, if you stop at a red light during the test, and do not apply the handbrake you fail the test.

In the UK people are not taught to drive, just pass the test on the day. 22 years ago I was taught you should only use your handbrake if you are parked on a hill otherwise leave your car parked in 1st gear. If you are stopped at a red light with a car behind you and somebody hits the car behind you and they in turn hit you then it is the person behind the car behind you that is at fault.

Unless I was going to have serious problems, I would never pay the little buggers anything. Let them go to court. I doubt they ever will.

The problem is that both cars impounded by the police, and as i said ,the "bugger" have nothing to lose, but in an other way he maybe not even can afford a lawyer. Therefore some car sitting years on a police station. If you have a good insurance, maybe the bugger have no chance, because the insurance don't want pay him anyway and they have their own lawyers. But something was defenitively wrong in this case of accident . The insurance payd his bike. So there should be that deal or no deal. No insurance in thailand pay compensition for lost time. I know from a similar case that the isurance guy asked the bugger to show him evicence, that he realy have a income or job. He didn't hade anything to show. So no compesation was payd.