Nokia E51

bill1960

Thinking about getting the E51 for everyday use in Cambodia and as a notebook modem for the 3G network here. We have an official Nokia shop here that sells the E51 for $220 with one year warranty.

How does the E51 speed as a modem compare with high end $500+ 3G phones ?

Just in case make sure that the E51 actually will work with the local 3G (Operating frequency - WCDMA 850/2100). If I remember well, AIS is working on 900.

I'm in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Camshin offer 3G here on the 900Mhz frequency.

Opposite the Camshin office is the Nokia (official) retail outlet. Nokia (khmer) sales guy reckons the E51 (WCDMA 850/2100) works no problem on Camshins 900Mhz network.

The E66 is 900/1800 and he reckons the E51 works just as good :o .

Very confusing and I'm wondering what works ok really means coming from the locals.

Is it the same as listening to a radio station transmiiting at 100 but having the radio tuned to 98. You can hear it but it could be better if you tuned in correctly.

Sounds like the E66 is a safer bet, plus I want it to work in Thailand and Laos. Anyone know the frequency of Laos 3G ?

Just in case make sure that the E51 actually will work with the local 3G (Operating frequency - WCDMA 850/2100). If I remember well, AIS is working on 900.

I'm in Sihanoukville, Cambodia. Camshin offer 3G here on the 900Mhz frequency.

Opposite the Camshin office is the Nokia (official) retail outlet. Nokia (khmer) sales guy reckons the E51 (WCDMA 850/2100) works no problem on Camshins 900Mhz network.

The E66 is 900/1800 and he reckons the E51 works just as good :o .

Very confusing and I'm wondering what works ok really means coming from the locals.

Is it the same as listening to a radio station transmiiting at 100 but having the radio tuned to 98. You can hear it but it could be better if you tuned in correctly.

Sounds like the E66 is a safer bet, plus I want it to work in Thailand and Laos. Anyone know the frequency of Laos 3G ?

The phone needs to do HSDPA on the correct frequency, or it won't work at all. Makes sense Camshin sits on 900 Mhz as that would need the same equipment as they use in the Chiang Mai set-up...

What about cellcard, any idea what frequency they operate their 3G network on? They say following 3G phones are available in Cambodia:

Nokia N95, Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia 6110 Navigator, Nokia 6120 Classic, Nokia E90, Samsung SGH-U700, Sony Ericsson W910, Sony Ericsson V640, Motorola Q Pro, LG KU950, LG KU970, HTC X7500, 02 XDA Atom Life, Toshiba G900

Tested the E51 today at the Nokia office in Sihanoukville, Cambodia.

Connected to Camshins 3G network (900Mhz) no problem. Got the little 3G icon in top left of the screen, watched streaming video, and got 600kbps/300kbps from a broadband test site.

Nokia sites only list the E51 as WCDMA 850/2100, so not sure why it works so well on Camshins 900Mhz site. Perhaps there's an Asian version(900Mhz E51) that the Nokia websites don't list ?

What about cellcard, any idea what frequency they operate their 3G network on? They say following 3G phones are available in Cambodia:

I went thru several layers of customer service and was finally told Cellcard 3G use 800Mhz.

I questioned this and asked, do you mean 850Mhz, no, 800mhz is what he reckons. :o

Coverage for Cellcard is mainly just Phnom Penh, whereas Camshin is most major towns I believe .