Attracting Foriegn Tourist They Just Don't Get It

ray23

Bloomberg interviewed a Deputy Miniter from the TAT this morning, it was pathedic. The question what are you doing to bring tourist back. Answer we are offering special deals to Thai's travling in the country. spent two mins on it. Only the thing about tourist special spa deals maybe 15 seconds No mention about double pricing sorry they just don't get it. It's a good plan to encourage locals to travel. But as to foriegn tourist I didn't see much of a plan at all.

Now let me say I have I used TAT's services many times for travel plans they are great tell them what you need they will mail it to you free. But they are not getting the picture on this one.

You know if you want a golf vacation well then pay the price for a great resort. But, if your like me and d riding you need a place to rest and clean up not much more really the activity is touring not Spa treatment Ect,

Mae Hong Son we piad 300 baht a night but were qouted 1500 baht a night for the hut experience. You know 800 and I might have went for it. We spent a wonderful night in Chaing Dao with the hut experience. But excellent food. A good experience 845 baht the Nest. I would go again.

Now keep mind you this is in the time frame the airports were shut down. All the massage places had reduced their prices, don't know what they normally are but an oil masage for 200 baht written on a piece of cardboard. That is 50% less then what the normal charge in Udon is.

We took a boat trip to the Karen village normal charged 1250 and worth every satang with the guide that we went with. Problem the lady who sold us the pacakage went through this big explanation of how I had to pay 250 baht more then my wife. Well maybe that doesn't mean anyhting to a foriegn travelers. But I have lived her for six years. I explained to her in Thai that it was not right to do that. She dropped my price down. To be honest 1250 was a fair price for what we got. So I tipped and made up the difference.

I spoke with the lady before not to say things like that unless someone aked. They just don't understand prejudice. Try telling a black man in the states that he has to pay more because his skin is a different color and watch what happens.

I told her sees a lady wih a farrang standing in front of her she knows already the farrang is paying just give them the price for both of them. Don't break it down. They just don't understand it's insulting. Now these were really nice people and I will use them again. But I have been here long enough to understand not everyone has. Here in Udon they double price they lose a customer forever. But we went playing tourist and I accepted that before I went out the door.

The sad thing it's National policy and a really bad one right now. I love Thailand it's my home but the have a lot to learn about being really good hosts.

They will never learn.

Thai mathematics. You need to earn Bt1000.

100 customers = 10 baht each

10 customers = 100 baht each

1 customers = 1000 from that poor sucker

Now with recession and perhaps depression, let's see how these mathematical geniuses work this one out.

Need to earn Bt1000 but have NO customers ?

Edited by torrenova

slightly off topic, but i have just returned from swampypoon after dropping a friend off at the departure gates. it was VERY quiet, very little traffic. Rather nice actually ! my friend called to say zero queues at immigration and she also suggested duty free prices appeared to be lower

The sad thing it's National policy and a really bad one right now. I love Thailand it's my home but the have a lot to learn about being really good hosts.

I fully agree with you.

The problem for many Thai is that they don't understand WHY there are (foreign) people who want to pay for something that is so simple and normal in their eyes. And free as well.

They simplydon't understand that there are people willing to fly 12+ hours in a plane, undress and put on a small piece of cloth and lie down on a bloody hot beach, risking their skin getting burned.

They simply do not get that and in fact, they're right.

But, they DID understand very quickly that those stupid people were willing to pay a lot of money to a poor Lady that has no education at all but has hands to rub those white legs and backs....NOT knowing that those poor tired legs and backs are NEVER touched in their own home countries.... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Forget TAT with thier fancy website, it's only another Thai tourist scam, which seems well documented if one checks "thailand scams on Google"

I was scammed 28,500 THB plus another 11,000 THB incured expenses by a "TAT" Licensed Travel Agent.

TAT was contacted by email, no replies, TAT Crimes Division was called no answers. I had a face to face with TAT "nothing we can do" (or not our problem).

My question was; "well you did license him, did you not"?

I also contacted both Regular and Thai Tourist police "nothing we can do".

Just another day in the Land of Scams for farangs.

<snip>

TAT (another Thailand failure) really knows how to attract tourists.

Edited by Jai Dee
URL deleted as per forum rules

Me I get hotel info and proceed with caution. Look for the where the sites are and travel there on my own.

Been helpful, but beyond that no experience with them.

I had great luck on my trip to Mae Hong Son, with the Gtriders maps both the Golden Triangle amd Mae Hong Son loop. They show where the hotels are but no phone numbers.

If yourfirst timer in that area definelty recommend them.

I'm still wondering where all these discounted hotels are?

I thought that was a part of the plan, but I haven't seen any as of yet.

I will be writing a ride report but it's huge project still editing 2K of photos. I plan on giving my experience with the hotels I stayed at and phone number price ect. I have a bad back so the quality of the beds mean a lot to me. All I'm looking for is a good bed, western toilet and this time of year, hot water for showers.

Most of the places that I stayed at and were really confortable for me were in the 800 baht range.

I see the forum now has a hotle listing site so maybe that will be helpful.

It was funny he least expensive place was 240 baht, it did have a shower, one located in the middle of the complex. The beds were certainly firm enough concrete would have been softer. Thai Toilet try that with seven bad discs in your back LOL

They got even at dinner no kitchen so the went and got dinner for the four of us. BBQ chicken rice and mixed vegetables. 1K baht 2 Klms to the village could have purchased it all fror 200 baht. I don't think I will let a Thai book something for me agian :o

There is good value around but very difficult to find on the net.

Actually when I deal with TAt I give the price range I want to pay and that is what they give me. Not hard just got to e-mail Bangkok

Edited by ray23