Bangkok to Singapore, train or coach

muay_thai

Just wanting some advice, can anyone answer the following:

Which is the most effective way of getting from BKK to SIN, by bus or by train. Please advise in view of times / duration and I've heard the trains have private cabins which are nice

anyone got any experience of these?

Any other tips are welcome (apart from the obvious - FLY!)

Cheers

I 've done the trip by train a few times , once from Chiang Mai , with a stop over in Georgetown ( Needed a bus xfer from Hat Yai) . Fantastic experience, the real "Orient express"

A holiday in itself. Coming back from Singers to Thailand is the best bit though!

There's no need to pay that much for a flight.

THAI AIRWAYS Bangkok-SINGAPORE-Bangkok 5,250 Valid 14 DAYS

Take note: The Singapore and Thai airlines return prices may be for 14 day max stays.

Royal Nepal Airlines, Biman Bangladesh and Indian Airlines are  the least expensive.

Are we talking one way or return? One way can be as little as 2800 baht. Return, 4800 without the 14 day restrictions. Ask when you call or email.

Here's a snapshot of fares; http://www.zee-asia.com/thailan....ore.htm         (For information purposes only. I've never used the agent)

Unless you like long train journeys, I wouldn't recommend it. Bangkok to Butterworth(for Penang) alone takes 20 hours. Cost, around 1070 baht(to Butterworth) for a lower berth sleeper.

The Air Con/VIP bus fare to Singapore is around 1300 baht. Recommended only if you hate yourself.

Speak to Charlie at http://www.travelconnecxion.com/

From Singapore? http://www.airfares.com.sg/airfares/bg/7_at_bg_bkk.htm

The guy's original question was about trains and buses , not planes.

TBH if you just want to "get" somewhere the plane wins , but

sometimes it pays to take the leisurely option.

Trains aren't everyones cups of tea , I hate 'em in UK ,

but this journey , with the right company, good food and booze, rates amongst one of my favourites , and rightly so is rated as one of the best train journeys in the world.:o

Thanks Chonabot

Though I think the replies covered three forms of transport.

Advice was given on all, including that alluding to Bkk -Singapore being an unusually inexpensive route to fly.

Who rates it as "one of the best train journeys of the world"? What journey and what train?

I'm sure the train that they are referring to far exceeds the flight, in price.

The journey itself would take around 40 hours. The cost? From Singapore(2nd Class sleeper and buying the tickets in Malaysia, not Singapore)) to Bangkok would be around £33. Not sure of the price from the other way.

With a first class sleeper from Butterworth(for Penang) this would take the cost to around £43.

Thai trains:          http://www.srt.or.th/httpEng/index.html

Malaysian trains:   http://www.ktmb.com.my/

Distance is 1946 kilometres. You would have to travel Bkk - Butterworth and have to rebook or have booked your ticket onwards from there.

If you'd like to save money, you can travel 3rd Class from Bkk - Hat Yai for £2....  :o

More? Actual timetable?

Train number:                 5:   35:      7:     33:    1:      11:

Depart Bkk (Hualamphong)   14:20

Depart Hua Hin:                  18:26

Depart Surat Thani              01:57

Depart Hat Yai:                   07:05 15:50

Arrive Butterworth               12:55 21:15  

Depart Butterworth                       21:55

Arrive KL (Sentral):                       08:20  

Depart KL (Sentral)       07:30                11:15 14:00 22:30

Arrive Singapore:          14:35                18:50 20:57 07:35

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With flights coming in from £50, I would only consider the train if I were considering getting off the thing and exploring the region.

I was talking to "Binky" and Carruthers the other day after they had put their names down for one of those jolly old 1 million Baht VIP cards as one does,and the subject of our annual charabang trip down to Singers came up......

FYIO....another option by train ...little bit peng mak...

Following the success of the famous Venice Simplon-Orient-Express, the Eastern & Oriental Express made history as the first ever train to transport passengers directly from Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok.

On board the Eastern & Oriental Express, the atmosphere harks back to a 'Colonial' age of rattan chairs on the verandah, linen suits and tea dances. The on board cuisine continues the same very high standards already established by the Venice Simplon-Orient-Express in Europe.

The inaugural journey departed in September 1993 and the Eastern & Oriental Express quickly built for itself a highly regarded reputation as providing one of the most adventurous and exciting rail journeys in the world. In addition to the two night journey between Singapore and Bangkok, the E&O also travels overnight to Chiang Mai from Bangkok.

Whichever journey passengers decide to take, they are assured of the highest quality food and service while enjoying dramatic views across the South East Asian landscape.

Timetable  Arrive   Depart  

Wednesday Singapore (Keppel Road station) - 11:00

Kuala Lumpur 19:40 20:30

Thursday Butterworth (for Penang)

Guided tour of Georgetown 08:30 11:30

Friday Hua Hin 04:45 05:00

River Kwai Bridge

Guided tour of River Kwai 08:45 11:00

Bangkok (Hualampong station) 14:45 -

Please note: Singapore-Bangkok

(3 days/2 nights)Alternatively:

Bangkok-Singapore

Highlights | Prices | Departure Dates | Itinerary/Timetable

Highlights

Journey on board the Eastern & Oriental Express from the elegance of Singapore to the excitement of Bangkok through the heart of South East Asia, with visits to colonial Georgetown, Fort Cornwallis and the infamous River Kwai.

Prices Sep 2003 Oct 2003 - Sep 2004 Oct 2004 - Sep 2005.

Pullman Compartment US$1490 US$1540 US$1590

State Compartment US$2200 US$2280 US$2360

Presidential Suite US$3000 US$3110 US$3220

Prices are per person based on sharing accommodation and include: All table d'hôte meals on board, with complimentary tea and coffee in your compartment

http://www.orient-express.com/web....kdffg.0 :o  :cool:

Last time in Lion City I thought I had it all worked out.

First of all  check in to the old Raffles for a spot of Tiffin around lunchtime with a couple of stennas as a follow up refreshment.After that a leasurely stroll around Bugis St.and see what the latest trends might be.

Then back to the Empress Room for Tea and Crumpets-Darjeeeling,Lapsang Souchong,Chai or even Gunpower Green and maybe a couple of "pinkers" before sundown,(I prefere mine out)

The evening would of course have to start with a couple of "Sing Slings" in the Long Bar ...

***(The Singapore Sling was created at Raffles Hotel at the turn-of-the-century by Hainanese bartender Ngiam Tong Boon) followed up by a looksee in the Writers Room and possibly hook up with Jefrey or Big Jim C.and spend the rest of the night around the Go-Downs on the wharf or the bars up at Tannemera.There was always a couple of old rickshaw "coolie" drivers hanging about (poor old sods)and my plans were looking good.

Only problem was I arrived in May 1991 and the hotel was shut for renovation.

(With its restoration and re-opening in June 1991, Raffles Hotel today stands as a jewel in the crown of Singapore's hospitality industry, renowned and loved for it's inimitable style and unsurpassed excellence in service and facilities.)

http://www.raffleshotel.com/legacy/legacy.htm

I eventually then ended up in a doss house called "Peony Mansions"-dont even think about it :o and spent the next 3 days trying to avoid the amourous advances of the Kateoys on Orchard Road.At least the Tigers were Cool.

Best laid plans of mice and men...soi Cowboy -all is forgiven :D

I've done the train trip a couple of times, last time was in February...takes a long time and you wouldn't want to face a return trip.  The journey can be broken by getting off in Hat Yai, Butterworth, K.L. etc., but flying S.A.S is the quickest and cheapest way I've found....Surin