Where To Buy Rice Cookers In Bangkok

drayon

Besides Tesco/Carrefour, is there any other places in Bangkok with a good varied range of rice cookers worth recommending?

I browsed Tesco/Carrefour today, the range was limited, basically just the cheapo large 10 cup cookers. I cook for myself so a 3-5 cup cooker is more practical. Maybe Zojirushi or Tiger rice cookers are available in Bangkok?

Thanks in-advance

Besides Tesco/Carrefour, is there any other places in Bangkok with a good varied range of rice cookers worth recommending?

I browsed Tesco/Carrefour today, the range was limited, basically just the cheapo large 10 cup cookers. I cook for myself so a 3-5 cup cooker is more practical. Maybe Zojirushi or Tiger rice cookers are available in Bangkok?

Thanks in-advance

Its a bit like looking for ice at the North pole dude. They're everywhere. Far more important is how you cook the rice.

Thanks in-advance

Its a bit like looking for ice at the North pole dude. They're everywhere. Far more important is how you cook the rice.

Where is everywhere? Provide examples of stores. Im not familiar with retail outlets other than the two I've mentioned and visited. If Tesco/Carrefour don't have them where else may I visit? small 3-5 cup cookers, eg Zojirushi or Tiger.

bought a new one the other day from HOMEPRO....had quiet a few on display....this one has a little basket in the top you can steam veggies too, even cook a cake if you want....some department stores have whole levels of rice cookers :o ...skys the limit!

bought a new one the other day from HOMEPRO....had quiet a few on display....this one has a little basket in the top you can steam veggies too, even cook a cake if you want....some department stores have whole levels of rice cookers :o ...skys the limit!

Ah yes, I'd like to be able to steam veggies, this should negate the need to buy a steamer. I wonder if a rice cooker can also be used to steam noodles?

Thanks for the idea's btw.

Thanks in-advance

After reading your post and subsequent follow-ups, I am wondering if you are serious. Just because its a 10 cup rice cooker, doesnt mean it can't cook 2 cups.

As for the brands you mention above, never heard of them - only those little known international brands like Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips.

OH and by the way, if you open one up, you will see most now include a little plastic tray for steaming.

As one other poster put it, Rice Cookers are the most common appliance sold in Thailand and probably Asia. Like a tuk tuk driver, found on every corner.

Thanks in-advance

After reading your post and subsequent follow-ups, I am wondering if you are serious. Just because its a 10 cup rice cooker, doesnt mean it can't cook 2 cups.

I read the manual of several 10 cup Tiger rice cookers, the manual does not recommend using them for small quantities of less than 3 cups. So actually I am serious and have done a lot of research. BTW Tiger and Zojirushi are the most common & widely known cookers in Japan. If you were a foremost authority on rice cookers then you must have known, but since you have never heard of them I must ask myself how serious I really am. :sigh:

Thanks anyway for the sliver of useful info you did actually post.

Special thanks to yogi, neverdie, dotcom for the suggestions.

Edited by drayon

I suggest if you want the later models from Japan you go to Isetan or Jusco, I am very happy with Panasonic cookers, but have used Zojirushi before without hassle. I have seen both brands also in the Emporium. Just find 'little Japan' and you'll find the better ones.

OZ

Thanks in-advance

I read the manual of several 10 cup Tiger rice cookers, the manual does not recommend using them for small quantities of less than 3 cups. So actually I am serious and have done a lot of research. BTW Tiger and Zojirushi are the most common & widely known cookers in Japan. If you were a foremost authority on rice cookers then you must have known, but since you have never heard of them I must ask myself how serious I really am. :sigh:

Thanks anyway for the sliver of useful info you did actually post.

Special thanks to yogi, neverdie, dotcom for the suggestions.

Ok mate. I didn't read the manual on any i bought over the years so you got me there. :o But I can say that for 10 years here I have successfully cooked 1, 2-8 cups of rice at a time without incident. The sky didn't fall down, the house remained standing and yes it was even edible.

As for knowing about all the Jap brands of the world, like I said, I only know the big ones - but pretty sure they were all made in the same factory in Mainland China anyway.

Ah yes, I'd like to be able to steam veggies, this should negate the need to buy a steamer. I wonder if a rice cooker can also be used to steam noodles?

Hey funny you mention noodles...I might just give that a try and let you know...do you have any preference to the type of noodles we should be eating????

I believe it is well worth buying one of the good ones, by that I mean, not top of the range 5,000 baht jobbies with vibrating whatevers, but I think mine was about 1700 baht, something like that, has a tefel coating, dead easy to clean. About 18 years ago, I bought a Sunbeam rice cooker in Australia, it was upmarket one and it still works today....last year I had it in my 4x4 & it travelled around Australia with me on a 40,000km trip & guess what....its still cooking rice, it also had a tefel coating, but it wore that out a few years ago.

Avoid the ones with the retractable cords, the retracting thing always buggers up & ur cords either jammed in or out.

Hey funny you mention noodles...I might just give that a try and let you know...do you have any preference to the type of noodles we should be eating????

I believe it is well worth buying one of the good ones, by that I mean, not top of the range 5,000 baht jobbies with vibrating whatevers, but I think mine was about 1700 baht, something like that, has a tefel coating, dead easy to clean. About 18 years ago, I bought a Sunbeam rice cooker in Australia, it was upmarket one and it still works today....last year I had it in my 4x4 & it travelled around Australia with me on a 40,000km trip & guess what....its still cooking rice, it also had a tefel coating, but it wore that out a few years ago.

Avoid the ones with the retractable cords, the retracting thing always buggers up & ur cords either jammed in or out.

--> neverdie I love fresh rice noodles and soba noodles, both of which have low-med glycaemic index.

thanks for the tip about the retractable cord. Hopefully I can find one with a detachable cord, the chief advantage being able to suit locally pinned power sockets (if the device will be taken to other countries) via using a local cord.

thanks again. post back on your noodle experiment. curious, would you put the noodles in the bowl the rice normally resides in or in the top steamer bowl the veggies are placed?

Edited by drayon

Well the top tray is a little steamer jobby, so i think one could try the noodles up there & some water down below....I'm certainly no Samak in the kitchen....but I reakon I'd make a great PM....but I will talk to the cook if she ever gets of the telephone & will let you know.... :o thai sheilas and telephones :D

Drayon - I used to add dried mushrooms and other dried veggies to my rice before cooking, maybe some peanuts and sometimes egg. I bought my rice cooker in a small soi (I don't like department stores) where you can barter the price and get good advice from the local ladies on it. The type of shops selling them often have soft drinks in a freezer at the entrance then as you go further inside the darkened shop you will find rice cookers at the back near the 'till' amongst other electrical stuff, blankets and household goods. The owner of the shop usually sits at the back. The make of mine is Cookworks - nothing fancy - and I bought it in 1994. Still going strong :o

Makro Store on Naratiwat sell heaps of them, many brands I have never heard of.  I bought a Maneki Neka and had to take it back after I used it twice, the element broke down on it. Only paid 900 Baht for it, so no surprises there. 

Have Panasonic in Oz, which I used everyday and could leave cooked warm rice in it for many hours without it sticking for three years, never had a problem with it. My Japanese and Korean students living with me also gave it the thumbs up.

I think it wise to spend the money on a good quality brand with warranty if you are going to cook rice a lot. Xmas sales now on at Central, Paragon might be worth a look.

Exactly.

Just 1.5 cup of water to one cup of rice, same for Pasta.

No need for rice cookers.

I knew a guy who owner a restaurant in Taiwan. He told me to add whatever amount of rice I wanted, place a clean finger on the rice and pour water until the liquid covered the rice and reached my fingernail.

It worked brilliantly everytime, and saved me the trouble of actually measuring. The only problem is, if you live in a small place, you're hogging one burner on the range just to boil rice.

As to the original post, there is a nice department store just down the street from Khao San Rd. It has electronics on the fifth floor. Cheap but good quality built stuff. If I were going to buy a rice cooker, I'd probably get one there.

Thanks in-advance

tell me where I can get rice in thailand and I will tell you where you can get a cooker...