Taking Pleasure In Other People's Misfortune

dave9988

Many farang, I am sure were hoping to see the airport stay closed as long as possible as it would hurt the Thai economy and perhaps weaken real estate prices, hotel prices and in general, the cost of living. They know that this would cause many Thai people to suffer, but it would serve them so they do not care. Now, every person is interested in their own well being and wants to experience happiness. For many, their ability to experience happiness is greater when other people are down. Does this aspect of human nature bother anyone? There has to be some sort of middle ground, right?

One aspect of living in Thailand and reading these boards is the constant talk of: "It only costs this much money", "I can get this, this, and that here for only...", "Do you know how much it would cost in a first world country?".

Does this sort of attitude and might I say, lack of class, bother anyone else?

Edited by dave9988

attitude of forum members to the closure of the airports was completely different from what you are describe - read the threads from 25.11-2.12.

there is no human nature, but we, as social animals, depend very much on each other, hence tend to cooperate rather than compete - for the good of all

Edited by londonthai

Many farang, I am sure were hoping to see the airport stay closed as long as possible as it would hurt the Thai economy and perhaps weaken real estate prices, hotel prices and in general, the cost of living. They know that this would cause many Thai people to suffer, but it would serve them so they do not care. Now, every person is interested in their own well being and wants to experience happiness. For many, their ability to experience happiness is greater when other people are down. Does this aspect of human nature bother anyone? There has to be some sort of middle ground, right?

One aspect of living in Thailand and reading these boards is the constant talk of: "It only costs this much money", "I can get this, this, and that here for only...", "Do you know how much it would cost in a first world country?".

Mate, I can't think of any farang, or other who wanted the airport closed a minute longer that it was. What are you on?

attitude of forum members to the closure of the airports was completely different from what you are describe - read the threads from 25.11-2.12

i did. i would say there were an even number of posts expressing sorrow for Thais who would suffer because of this and those who were thrilled with the prospect of lower prices.

attitude of forum members to the closure of the airports was completely different from what you are describe - read the threads from 25.11-2.12

i did. i would say there were an even number of posts expressing sorrow for Thais who would suffer because of this and those who were thrilled with the prospect of lower prices.

rediculous, back it up with some fact or <snip>. We don't have to say sorry to the Thais who would suffer cause it wasn't our fault, even though it will affect many thais and farangs.

or should i say "On behalf of all the farangs here, we wish to express the sorrow that your fellow countrymen have inflicted upon your economy"

looks like we have read different threads

rediculous, back it up with some fact or <snip>. We don't have to say sorry to the Thais who would suffer cause it wasn't our fault, even though it will affect many thais and farangs.

or should i say "On behalf of all the farangs here, we wish to express the sorrow that your fellow countrymen have inflicted upon your economy"

<snip>

Many people in those threads were anti-PAD and expressed the sentiment of "None of this nonsense bothered or reached me before but now they are in an airport that I use"... I do not view that as expressing sorrow at the prospect of lower prices in Thailand and economic misfortune for Thais.

Dave

I think maybe you are barking up the wrong tree mate. I live here and it never even crossed my mind for a nano second that the situation might benefit me in monetary terms. It just never crossed my mind, I do not think like that. Just because you may, do not assume that others do. I would also dispute your notion that an even number of people either thought the airport occupation was terrible as opposed to thinking it would be a good thing in terms of personal benefit. The PAD supporters on TV welcomed the occupation for ideological purposes as opposed to peronal gain. Just MHO

I'd much rather see the hotels full, and people working. It looks extremely difficult to make a living for the majority of people who live in the cities. Business is down dramatically since the airports were closed. I don't like passing 15 cabs sitting and hoping for a fare. I'd much rather see their smiling faces.

When the letter 'i' is used singularly as a pronoun it should be capitalized. Don't you have and use a browser with spell check? Hmmmmmmm

Edited by Tigs

Dave, I think there are very few people who were pleased with the closure.

It has hurt the Thaieconomy very badly which will have a knock on effect to a lot of people, and from a personal oint of view it has put back a lot of business for the next couple of months, which has also had an impact on Thais who would have been involved with several of the projects.

I for one, hope that Sonthi is taken to task for his harmful actions, along with Thaksin who should also shoulder some of the blame. There ongoing bitching session has not served anyone but themselves, and for tha they should both be ashamned.

Lack of class? Oh well ! you have your class Dave and I'll deal with the brass tacks of life.

That aside, yes I'll be honest enough to say that I feel they have got there just desserts, and things have been building up for a while.

You simply can't pee people off indefinitely and I agree with another poster who remarks that lessons never get learnt.

Dave,

not the airport part but the part you said about the many Posters in TV who demand a 1rst class life on the backs of 3rd world servants. "where can I get a beach front resort with smiling servants for $20 pee day?" I get!

I have done a couple of detailed posts on that exact issue, and the moderators close them out. They are not big supporters of Fair Trade or Fair World. The Colonial attitude of Entitlement requires a 3rd world labor force. I can only assume the ones closing my posts have lives built on prices they can only afford in Thailand.

Avoiding scams, yes, shopping for good travel deals, yes, but all this whining and crying about how the good life in Thailand is not cheap enough smacks of JUST what you said. low class.

I have said it before and will say it again: while I'd like to see Thailand do well, I will not hesitate to benefit from its misfortune by utilizing beneficial exchange rates and cheaper prices to get more for myself (which, in effect, is good for Thailand). Similarly, I shorted much of the market crash before liquidating. Doing otherwise would be wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Why do you chastise others for wanting the best for themselves at the lowest possible cost? Unless, while you shop, you look for an inferior product at a higher cost.

I have said it before and will say it again: while I'd like to see Thailand do well, I will not hesitate to benefit from its misfortune by utilizing beneficial exchange rates and cheaper prices to get more for myself (which, in effect, is good for Thailand). Similarly, I shorted much of the market crash before liquidating. Doing otherwise would be wasting a perfectly good opportunity.

Why do you chastise others for wanting the best for themselves at the lowest possible cost? Unless, while you shop, you look for an inferior product at a higher cost.

-----

If you mean me, I actually like YOUR attitude. It's the ones who are always complaining its not 'cheapo' enough for them that get MY goat. Especially the ones that post that the Thais should pay farang prices at attractions, or they should get the Thai price, I'm not sure which?

I can't stand the backpackers who 'think' Thailand needs them to keep the economy afloat, when tourism is a very low percentage of GNP. If they post that some taxi driver 'cheated' them out of $5, they always threaten to take THEIR business out of Thailand. LOL where? Hawaii! It's them that are the 'rip offs', in my opinion. They want vacations that can only sustained by slave labour wages.

I have Posted twice here and it seems, at least 2 moderators, see themsleves in the mirror, because they block my posts. They must need it stay the way it is, or face going home with their old copy of Lonely Planet in a bag.

I can't stand all the posts that 'declare' that Thai Immigration policies violate their human rights. Before you know it, Thailand will be over run with back packers and sex tourists, if they had their way.

Look in Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree at all the Posts getting advice on how to have a 1rst class holiday on $20 per day. check out the Thorn tree - Laos for the lady asking if $100 will be enough for one week of food, trekking, tubing AND jewellery' - responses YES that's more than enough!

At least you are thankful its a good deal, the way it is! Same here. I am glad I will be able to spend 2 years in Thailand, maintain my Canadian medical coverage, stay for free in nice houses, one with a swimming pool and the $1500 per month Income, especially with free accommodation will afford a very comfortable life style.

I will try to avoid rip offs, look for 'bargains', but will feel happy and proud when I pay more than a Thai to visit a waterfall.

As for the exports I am working on, if it works, I will make sure the Thai 'family' gets Fair Trade compensation.

I am chastising the losers and cry babies who want things way better for themselves, when it already TOO good for them, and when they do nothing to make things better for a Fair World. The reckoning is COMING. Just wait until credit card debts begin to default in no recoverable terms for the banks!

The OP might be just projecting his beliefs here on TV. I know it has been mentioned after Suvarnabhumi closed the price of beer and girls may decline a bit but who revels in the misery of others unless they have deep rooted psychological problems?