Prepaid Internet Service

Trev

I am living in an apartment building in Bangkok which has phone lines through a switchboard, eg you have to dial 9 to get an outside line. As a result, as far as I am aware, highspeed is not a possiblity for internet access... correct me if I am wrong.

I have been using Ji-Net prepaid connections and they work well enough under the circumstances. I once tried a more expensive Ji-Net prepay which offered unlimited access but it didn't work through the switchboard.

Given that highspeed is likely out of the question does anyone know of a prepaid system that allows unlimited access and will work through the switchboard. Or, for that matter, any other possible suggestion.

I don't think you can get hispeed because you're probably on a shared line. You can get dialup cards which offer unlimited access for a certain period, and then you just keep renewing the card. I believe loxinfo do one and several others.

There is many prepaid cards out there. you can get them form any supermarket, 7-11 or computer stores. Shop around. I use a few different ones deoending on what shop i goto. KSc, Asianet,, mycard nation and my gf bought me me a Sanook card. As for unlimited cards. theres a place in Fortune town IT mall that has cards at discounted prices.

I think any prepaid ISP card will work for you, but to set up the number you dial up properly, you have to put a comma after the 9 like this:

The comma after the 9 gives a pause long enough to get an outside line before continuing to dial the full number.

Also, I'd recommend one of these cards from Internet Thailand:

package_easy.gif

You can buy them at any Family Mart.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I mentioned I did try an unlimited access card through Ji-Net. It seems to have only been for ToT direct line and I couldn't access through the switchboard.

Has anyone had success with pre-paid cards that allow unlimited access for a specified period of time (one week/one month etc)? I want to be able to leave the internet connected without using up pre-alotted time.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

As I mentioned I did try an unlimited access card through Ji-Net.  It seems to have only been for ToT direct line and I couldn't access through the switchboard.

Has anyone had success with pre-paid cards that allow unlimited access for a specified period of time (one week/one month etc)?  I want to be able to leave the internet connected without using up pre-alotted time.

Thanks again.

I used to live in an apartment block where you had to dial '9' for outside, just like yourself. They had several lines coming into the building, but they were shared, we were only allowed a maximum of 30mins per call. I doubt very much if they will allow you to hog an entire line for your internet. You probably have to get a new line installed to your apartment, if you can.

TWO OPTIONS WITH UNLIMITED:

TRUE - 195 baht /15 days street price: THB 160 (used to be ClickTA).

(works with TRUE lines)

PACIFIC (and many others, look in Pantip) - only for TOT lines.

So check with your apartment which line they use. As Ji-net didn't work, I'll guess it's a TRUE line (starts with a certain digit like 6,7,9).

Best solution is:

1 - Talk to your landflord and ask them if you are allowed to install your own telephone line

2 - If yes, apply for Hi Speed Internet and TRUE will throw in a telephone line (plus modem) for free (savings of THB 5,500+).

If the apartment refuses, your only possibilty is the TRUE unlimited 15 days package (note that your line will be cut by TRUE every three hours).

There is no provider that doesn't cut your line after a certain number of hours.

Edited by sniffdog

I bought a vodaphone PCI card in the uk for my lap top and was told it would work in Thailand by vodafone (it never did)

But when i moved out here to live i tried again,this time i bought a One to Call sim card and removed the vodafone one. I contacted customer services at O T C and they simply gave me a number to put into my lap top dial up and hey presto i am on line again.

They charge me 2bht per min for access wherever i may be in Thailand,

Its great and a lot cheaper than mobile access in the uk.

mike.