A Xmas Gift

GENeIsUS

For this gift to have value, you must consult an entomologist, zoologist, and an electronic engineer. This gift has no strings or conditions attached. I am only passing on an idea that has bounced around in my mind for a decade or two. I have retired and have no interest in becoming rich, but this idea does have some good possibilities for this to become a reality for some enterprising person.

Perhaps twenty or more years ago, I read an article on the effects of high frequency waves on mosquitoes. The article reported that a frequency generator of approximately 22 to 25 Kilocycles drives the common mosquito away. Verification of this could be found by consulting an entomologist. At the same time inquire if other insects might be affected in the same manner. Can you imagine camping out in the wilderness without the buzzing of insects in your ears? Certainly a pleasant thought.

Expanding on this phenomenon, consult if you will, with a zoologist to see if any behavioral studies have been made on how a sudden loud noise would affect a predator, such as lion, bear, and polecat Etc... Since it has been proven that animals normally hear frequencies much higher that humans, a frequency generator of sufficient power would seem like a very loud noise to an animal, thus perhaps, scaring it away or at least making said animal not want to stay in the same vicinity.

After the above consultations, you then need the services of an electronic engineer to build a simple, but powerful frequency generator. In my days of engineering, this device would be of a size too large for general use, but now with the miniaturization possible, it should be a snap. I can envision the size of a brooch or maybe a small watch. My engineering abilities have atrophied to such an extent, that when I add 2 plus pi, I come up with 4.5.

I expect some of the members in this forum to deride this idea, but to the right person, it could be valuable. In any case, to all of you who bothered to read this post, MERRY XMAS.

Electronic pest scarers (working on the ultrasound principle) for mozzies, roaches, rats etc. are available in Tesco Rotus. Admittedly somewhat bigger than a brooch or watch and mains powered but the idea has been around for a while.

We have one, but I can't have it in the bedroom, I can hear the bloody thing :o

May need a big amplifier if you have lions (or more likely in Thailand, tigers) in the area :D

Edited by Crossy

For this gift to have value, you must consult an entomologist, zoologist, and an electronic engineer. This gift has no strings or conditions attached. I am only passing on an idea that has bounced around in my mind for a decade or two. I have retired and have no interest in becoming rich, but this idea does have some good possibilities for this to become a reality for some enterprising person.

Perhaps twenty or more years ago, I read an article on the effects of high frequency waves on mosquitoes. The article reported that a frequency generator of approximately 22 to 25 Kilocycles drives the common mosquito away. Verification of this could be found by consulting an entomologist. At the same time inquire if other insects might be affected in the same manner. Can you imagine camping out in the wilderness without the buzzing of insects in your ears? Certainly a pleasant thought.

Expanding on this phenomenon, consult if you will, with a zoologist to see if any behavioral studies have been made on how a sudden loud noise would affect a predator, such as lion, bear, and polecat Etc... Since it has been proven that animals normally hear frequencies much higher that humans, a frequency generator of sufficient power would seem like a very loud noise to an animal, thus perhaps, scaring it away or at least making said animal not want to stay in the same vicinity.

After the above consultations, you then need the services of an electronic engineer to build a simple, but powerful frequency generator. In my days of engineering, this device would be of a size too large for general use, but now with the miniaturization possible, it should be a snap. I can envision the size of a brooch or maybe a small watch. My engineering abilities have atrophied to such an extent, that when I add 2 plus pi, I come up with 4.5.

I expect some of the members in this forum to deride this idea, but to the right person, it could be valuable. In any case, to all of you who bothered to read this post, MERRY XMAS.

I am also too old to take this up but am interested to know whether it works. I have often tried to 'clap' a moquito and missed and later found the blighter crawling on desk, bed, sofa etc in perfect configuration but slow as if dazed, and had time to dispatch it. I now automatically assume that I have downed him even if his crushed corpse is not on my hand. I wonder if it is sound or pressure which brings them down, are they related do you know?