Language Class

MartinMM

Anyone can recommend a good Thai/English teacher for private tuition?

Thanks

M

Hi Martin...I highly recommend Khun Ploy, especially if you are interested in integrating reading/writing with speaking/listening. She has been teaching privately for a few years now, mainly to local missionaries (they are required to pass local level 6 Thai tests to stay) but others as well. She teaches at her own place and other locations, but initially it's easiest to contact her through AUA, then you can arrange privately with her.

Cheers.

Level 6 is university level if I remember correctly and that is extraordinary good if a single teacher could offer you that. I would guess that with some basic knowledge and full time studies, about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for a year would be ok in order to reach level 6.

Level 6 is university level if I remember correctly and that is extraordinary good if a single teacher could offer you that. I would guess that with some basic knowledge and full time studies, about 5 hours a day, 5 days a week for a year would be ok in order to reach level 6.

Memory is failing you Goski! :o But it's ok, mine is too. Actually, level 6 is basically the completion of elementary school in Thailand. The ability to read/write/speak Thai at a high elementary school level is beyond most foreign language learners of Thai. Quick reference for Thai education:

Primary education consists of a six-year elementary term. It is taken care of almost exclusively by municipal schools and provided free. Primary education is compulsory for children between the ages of 7 and 15. There is no compulsory education for those who haven’t finished elementary school when reaching the age of 15, or for those who finish elementary school before reaching the age of 15.

Secondary education consists of five- or six-year terms.

University is as in the West, 4 years for a bachelors...and so on.

Cheers!