Vanilla Grower

thaidrav

• 1 year later...

Hello thaidrav, the Dec. 08 issue of House Ag.Magazine has a 5 page article with pictures.(pgs, 168-172)

rice555

I would love to try to grow some vanilla plants. Anyone know where to buy the plants?

Isaanaussie

IA , I recently bought some vanilla plants from this man in BKK "Thai speaking only, his name is "Yot" 081-923-5390"

Many other rare plans too.

regards

Hello thaidrav, the Dec. 08 issue of House Ag.Magazine has a 5 page article with pictures.(pgs, 168-172)

rice555

I would love to try to grow some vanilla plants. Anyone know where to buy the plants?

Isaanaussie

IA , I recently bought some vanilla plants from this man in BKK "Thai speaking only, his name is "Yot" 081-923-5390"

regards

Will he ship EMS? Whats the cost base? If you are looking for vermicompost then PM me. There is always a deal to be had

rice555

Isaanaussie

regards

Will he ship EMS? Whats the cost base? If you are looking for vermicompost then PM me. There is always a deal to be had

I paid B 200 per plant, We picked them up in his place but I suppose he will ship for cost.

From what I understand, lots of skill,patience and time is required to actually get vanilla from the Vanilla orchid .

That they only grow naturally (outside) in small particular areas of Madagaskar,Indonesia and Mexico would indicate some difficulty in cultivating them,as well ,only 2 insects are known to pollinate their flowers,making hand pollination skills a must.

The pods take about 9 months to mature after which they are sterilised (killed) and put into storage for a few months ,the actual vanilla is made within the pod due to a chemical reaction between the bean and its resinous coating while in storage.

From what I understand, lots of skill,patience and time is required to actually get vanilla from the Vanilla orchid .

That they only grow naturally (outside) in small particular areas of Madagaskar,Indonesia and Mexico would indicate some difficulty in cultivating them,as well ,only 2 insects are known to pollinate their flowers,making hand pollination skills a must.

The pods take about 9 months to mature after which they are sterilised (killed) and put into storage for a few months ,the actual vanilla is made within the pod due to a chemical reaction between the bean and its resinous coating while in storage.

Yes Sir as usual you are correct. I lived in Indonesia for several years and had the opportunity to observe the vanilla plantations first hand. Like coffee it is a crop that depends more on the attention of the farmer than the season. Waiting is good, WOW no need to do it right now, how can that possibly work in Thailand? Bah Humbug! Premium cash crops that are controllable.

I/A

For my knowledge, What are the only 2 insects that are known to pollinate their flowers?

From reading around the internet a tiny Mexican bee "the Melipone" only found in the growing areas of Mexico is uniquely equipped to pollinate the flower. The bee didn't survive outside Mexico. There's also references to a hummingbird pollinating the flowers.

Edit to add. There's a reference in beeculture.com from 1894 where "Cuban bees, whether indigenous or naturalized European bees, were pollinating vanilla in Cuba" but no further studies have been carried out.

It sounds like hard work. References say the flower only opens for 1 day to allow pollination and hand pollination accounts for 40% of the production costs.

A close friend is an avid orchid grower and bee keeper. He has vanilla orchids growing in his green houses. He's been unable to successfully hand pollinate the plants he keeps.

Edited by Farma

From reading around the internet a tiny Mexican bee "the Melipone" only found in the growing areas of Mexico is uniquely equipped to pollinate the flower. The bee didn't survive outside Mexico. There's also references to a hummingbird pollinating the flowers.

Edit to add. There's a reference in beeculture.com from 1894 where "Cuban bees, whether indigenous or naturalized European bees, were pollinating vanilla in Cuba" but no further studies have been carried out.

It sounds like hard work. References say the flower only opens for 1 day to allow pollination and hand pollination accounts for 40% of the production costs.

A close friend is an avid orchid grower and bee keeper. He has vanilla orchids growing in his green houses. He's been unable to successfully hand pollinate the plants he keeps.

Awesome detailed information!

Always have been interested in attempting to grow, and eventually market vanilla - as the particular demand for fresh vanilla bean is quite substantial....if attended to correctly, one could make quite a killing. I do understand that "micro-climate" is all important to this type of orchid. I'm still looking into the long-term cultivation of vanilla. I too, would love to obtain info and local knowhow into this delicate procedure.I believe there are a variety of sub-species as well, yes?

Edited by zzaa09

Always have been interested in attempting to grow, and eventually market vanilla - as the particular demand for fresh vanilla bean is quite substantial....if attended to correctly, one could make quite a killing. I do understand that "micro-climate" is all important to this type of orchid. I'm still looking into the long-term cultivation of vanilla. I too, would love to obtain info and local knowhow into this delicate procedure.I believe there are a variety of sub-species as well, yes?

I posted some stuff a few years ago on the subject. Anyway 3 or 4 years ago I had a good look into growing vanilla. Got a book from some Canadian guy in Vanautu. He had written it for the UN for a pilot project in East Timor. A very good book, lots of pics and drawings and covered Vanilla growing fron cuttings to shipping the beans. It is a very viable business for Thailand, except for one problem, no markek in Thaiand. Buyers from Europe and North America will not come here for small quantities, So you would have to sell and export yourself, with all the costs that would incur.

Issanaussie If I can find the book I will bring it to the hash in Ubon,, but right now I am living in an overcrowded construction site. Jim PS a few year ago I believe there was some government talk about setting up a pilot progect here, but I have not heard if it went ahead.