Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

without a dought the best in pattaya 2009 for price and value is the special in the shammrock bar soi pattaya land 2 and real chips , and fish and chips 100 baht recommended by a fisherman.

The special? You mean it is offered only a certain night of the week? Friday?

what the f do you want for 100 baht , i can't rember if it was friday i was in, as i am still on new year mode i can spend 3 months here and don't know what the day is as they are all the same holliday enjoy.

what the f do you want for 100 baht , i can't rember if it was friday i was in, as i am still on new year mode i can spend 3 months here and don't know what the day is as they are all the same holliday enjoy.

No doubt 100 baht is super cheap! I wouldn't expect to be blown away for 100 baht. But you were the one who mentioned the SPECIAL, eh?

Edited by Jingthing

without a dought the best in pattaya 2009 for price and value is the special in the shammrock bar soi pattaya land 2 and real chips , and fish and chips 100 baht recommended by a fisherman.

I am always confused about these pattayaland sois, is pattayaland 2 the same as soi 13/2, if so that is also soi post office?? Please help as I would like to check the place out.

As i run a chippy, Beef dripping has now been proven to be better than most veg oils as it is non-hydrogenated. Non-hydrogenated palm oil along with refined and deodorised beef dripping is probably the healthiest oil that fish and chips are cooked in.

I should open a shop myself but too busy at the moment. The repeating of the stomach is more than likely the oil, if he's using veg oil then it's because it is dirty and the oil has broken down or cooked at too low a temp. and has absorbed to much oil, if you want good fish and chips you want the oil at around 180'C.

Been to simons once a few years ago, thought the cooks were Thais in the back, fish was maybe 6oz definately cod and the batter was crispy (not like pig and whistle where you need a jack hammer to get through their concrete batter) but the chips were a major let down, limp and white just cooked at too low a temp.

any offers of fronting the cash to open a shop let me know hahaha

Spending money at McDonalds is against my religion, but yes I remember their fries are tasty, probably the beef tallow they fry them in.

I assume you are joking or you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Not joking. I hate the big US burger chains and do not support them. They give the impression to the world that the pinnacle of American food culture is something off an assembly line.

Have they stopped cooking in beef tallow? Maybe they never did and that was an urban legend, in which case I would have been wrong. I think they use different oils/animal fats in different localities and countries in response to cost factors and local laws. Anyway, not my intention to morph this thread into one about McDonalds, back to the Fish & Chips!

If I remember correctly, McDonalds fries have won the best fries in the Bay Area - San Francisco - for the past 20 years or more. Considering how great restaurants are in that area, that is a pretty good record.

My only experience with the only full-on chip shop over in Jomtien was pretty bad, I did wait but that was because they didn't have the fat turned on and when the fish suppers were opened at my mates condo round the corner (5 minutes away) the batter and chips were soggy as the fat wasn't hot enough when they cooked the order.

I went there twice (Jomtien) and just as you describe. Yuk!

Edited by easyride

If I remember correctly, McDonalds fries have won the best fries in the Bay Area - San Francisco - for the past 20 years or more. Considering how great restaurants are in that area, that is a pretty good record.

I assume Mickey Dees use corn oil to cook their fries. They are really good. Idaho spuds.

You need an oil that is stable at the 180 degree C temp mentioned by moody.

Not being a food Nazi I can eat McD sometimes. Their fish sandwich is good too. With tartare sauce.

just tried the new recently open f n c shop on soi khao noi - verdict the best ive ever had outside blighty not cheap/not dear (APPROX 200-250B) choice of cod or local fish,beer batter proper chips, etc EXCELLENT.

Beg to differ but they are bloody awful.............tried them just after they opened (since i live just up the road ) went in 3pm omly customer (so had every chance to get it right) ..........got the special at 175 baht ( john dory?)..........anyway chips were brown on the outside but not cooked on the inside...........batter was heavy and soggy on the fish and outweighed the fish by 3 to 1.

Worse thing is, i was really hoping it would be ok , as Patters could do with a decent chippie. :D

edit...typo's

All very true, tried it twice now, Fish was ok, but the chips are the worst i have had in years in Pattaya. won't wast any more money at that place. :o

No doubt 100 baht is super cheap! I wouldn't expect to be blown away for 100 baht. But you were the one who mentioned the SPECIAL, eh?

I happened to walk by there tonight and they had the 100 baht fish and chip special going. So perhaps this is every Tuesday night. All the table were taken, nobody was eating food, and I wasn't hungry, so no, I haven't tried it yet.

BTW, I also noticed The Ritz in Jomtien Complex entertainment area now offers Fish & Chips as an option on their wonderful and well priced nightly set menus. Any review on The Ritz's fish and chips? I believe the owner is British.

Edited by Jingthing

Theres a big difference from a resteraunt type place and a take away fish and chip shop.

Mainly in a place like pig and whistle the fish and chips are cooked just for you.

In a chip shop they are cooked before, and just warmed ready for you in when u come in.

Just in case this refers to back home and if so, i,d like to defend our chip shops...............

I would hope this is not meant to reflect the traditonal way of serving ect. in the U.K.

I have never heard of any being warmed up as they usually go on sale at certain times and customer demand is such in reputable / traditional " British, fish and chip shops that normally you will see customers waiting for whatever as they have run out and are frying a fresh batch.

Where i live, they,d loose their customers sharpish and no mistake, recycling as you can tell by tasting if they are fresh or not.

As for the Tarter sauce issue JT, if served, ( but personally a no no ) it is usually only in a restaurant when this is available, along with the tom. ketchup and brown sauce

marshbags :D:o

Depends what sort your after, never heard about traditional fish and chip shop in Pattaya.

As it is, any sort of fish and chips the way Westerner describes them being served, anything like in another country is better than none, to eat occasionally.

Like Yorkshire Pudding owts better than nowt if it,s a reasonable clone.

IMHO marshbags

Well , i tried Pat's fish & chips before and like it very much it always remind me of when i was in the uk . she also serves the real yorkshire pudding too . incedently,every year at the children fair (Jester's fair) pat would have the stall just sell fish & chips and sausages in batter ! and they are great

[

They were prepared fresh in front of me , and thats where the problem lay..........they wanted to give a fast service but in doing so had the oil too hot .

I might give them one more go, just too see if it was teething troubles.

This is why - in earlier posts om this thread - there were comments about pre-cooked fish-in-batter and so on.

Fish in batter needs to be cooked in hot oil so that the oil does not penetrate too much and be absorbed by the batter. It is there to cook the food only, not become a part of the food. So cook it in very hot oil. put it to drain and also to allow the redidual heat to carry out the final few minutes of cooking.

Chips should first be cooked in cooler oil (tho' still hot!) to cook through, then be plunged into very hot oil for a few seconds to crisp the outside. You purists can use beef tallow if you like, but you'll have a fire before very long - if you make it very hot. It spits like crazy.

If you want really freshly cooked fish in a British chippie it is better to ask for hake than cod. This is usually fried in front of you because it does not need the few minutes of secondary cooking that sets cod up so well.

As a side note : Friends of mine used to run a chippie - only had Mondays off each week. One Monday they showered, put on their going-out clothes and went off to the cinema, powdered, painted and feeling good. Near the start of the main feature they heard a lady a couple of rows away remark to her companion "What a lovely smell of fish and chips" Soon after that they sold the chippie and went into the greengrocery business.

Another side note - In UK 'chippie' or 'chippy' can mean either a fish 'n chip shop or a carpenter. It does not mean a street-walker or similar. This sometimes puzzles our transatlantic cousins in London when they ask for directions

Turn left at the chippy, keep on to the mucky duck and it's right across the road next to the paki palace
is not clear to anyone lacking a good command of English as-she-is-spoke. Edited by Humphrey Bear

The best fish and chips in Pattaya is at my house.gf does an amazing meal every couple of weeks and its always brilliant.

Nah... MY wife's fish and chips is the best!

For the rest of you do-it-yourself types, try 'Gogi' brand tempura batter mix. You'll thank me for it.

I am always confused about these pattayaland sois, is pattayaland 2 the same as soi 13/2, if so that is also soi post office?? Please help as I would like to check the place out.

Pattayaland 2 is... Pattayaland 2. Heading towards WS FROM Soi Postoffice and passing the very new 'Pattaya Walk' that leads through to 2nd Road, Pattayaland 1 is first cross street, then Pattayaland 2 is the next; these are old sois from waaaaaay back. The giveaway are the street name signs prominent on the corners of each. Dohhh!

If you find yourself in Pattayaland 3, fish and chips is not what you will get.

Well its Friday tommorow, so for those of you that have not tried it yet - get yourself off to Jamiesons for the special - you will not be dissapointed!!!!mmmmmmmm :o:D

Seconded - with soup/salad starter and dessert (although I've always been too full to even look at the dessert) for 195 Baht you can't go wrong.

Pattayaland 2 is... Pattayaland 2. Heading towards WS FROM Soi Postoffice and passing the very new 'Pattaya Walk' that leads through to 2nd Road, Pattayaland 1 is first cross street, then Pattayaland 2 is the next; these are old sois from waaaaaay back. The giveaway are the street name signs prominent on the corners of each. Dohhh!

If you find yourself in Pattayaland 3, fish and chips is not what you will get.

Well the street name signs actually say 13/3 and 13/4 hence the confusion, but thanks anyway.

Sois from north to south

Pattaya Soi 13

Pattaya Soi 13/1 is locally known as Soi Yamato

Pattaya Soi 13/2 is locally known as Soi Post Office

Pattaya Soi 13/3 is locally known as Soi Pattayaland 1

Pattaya Soi 13/4 is locally known as Soi Pattayaland 2

Soi Pattayaland 3 (not sure if this is officially designated as Soi 13/5)

Sois from north to south

Pattaya Soi 13

Pattaya Soi 13/1 is locally known as Soi Yamato

Pattaya Soi 13/2 is locally known as Soi Post Office

Pattaya Soi 13/3 is locally known as Soi Pattayaland 1

Pattaya Soi 13/4 is locally known as Soi Pattayaland 2

Soi Pattayaland 3 (not sure if this is officially designated as Soi 13/5)

That's kinda what I thought, but never seen it in black and white like that, thanks.

Just found I have to make an unscheduled trip back to blighty tomorrow, so will be having the real thing soon enough :o

OK, here is my impression of my first time visit to Jamesons for their F&C special.

Remember, I ain't a Brit so I don't have your frame of reference and childhood memories programmed into me about fish and chips.

Anyway, for those who haven't tried it there, I found it quite pleasant.

The special nights include a choice of soup or salad. dessert, and bread and butter, nothing to write home about. I would prefer a larger fish portion in its stead, but not bad either.

The fish is one filet, medium sized, cooked nicely, some noticeable grease but not excessive, the batter had a good taste and was quite crispy. It is served with decent cole slaw, not peas as well as tartar sauce but the tartar sauce is not as good as Pig & Whistle (less of the pickle stuff in it). I am not sure about the vinegar they serve at Jamesons, it is out of the regular labelled bottle so I think it is not the real deal.

The big surprise were the chips. They were shorter sized than I expect at British places, crinkly, and wonderfully crisp. I liked the chips very much.

Overall, basically good food at a great price (195 Baht). I will indeed gladly go back but I didn't love it enough to give up on trying other places. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I was pleased to see that one member (Papatsorn) enjoyed the fish and chips served at Pat’s Pies on Third Road. I tried it for the first time last night and was immediately taken back to Surrey (England) where I always treat my sister to a fish supper at her local “Superfish” (an upmarket local chain). Pat’s Norwegian cod is the real thing and generously sized;the chips she serves are out of this world. I wish she’d tell me how to make them as the ones I do are reasonable but nowhere nearly as delicious. The fish batter was very tasty, crisp and completely ungreasy. Just to complete the picture, Pat uses real newspaper to wrap the takeaway, not appalling polystyrene boxes. Last but not least (this is beginning to sound like an ad!), she provides home made tartare sauce.

There’s a rumour doing the rounds that Pat’s Pies is going to be converted into a proper fish’n’chip shop. I hope this is true.

The best fish and chips in Pattaya is at my house.gf does an amazing meal every couple of weeks and its always brilliant.

Nah... MY wife's fish and chips is the best!

For the rest of you do-it-yourself types, try 'Gogi' brand tempura batter mix. You'll thank me for it.

dont believe you mate,you will have to invite me round for a fish supper then i might believe you lol.

I was pleased to see that one member (Papatsorn) enjoyed the fish and chips served at Pat's Pies on Third Road. I tried it for the first time last night and was immediately taken back to Surrey (England) where I always treat my sister to a fish supper at her local "Superfish" (an upmarket local chain). Pat's Norwegian cod is the real thing and generously sized;the chips she serves are out of this world. I wish she'd tell me how to make them as the ones I do are reasonable but nowhere nearly as delicious. The fish batter was very tasty, crisp and completely ungreasy. Just to complete the picture, Pat uses real newspaper to wrap the takeaway, not appalling polystyrene boxes. Last but not least (this is beginning to sound like an ad!), she provides home made tartare sauce.

There's a rumour doing the rounds that Pat's Pies is going to be converted into a proper fish'n'chip shop. I hope this is true.

I have heard that there are a number of Fish and Chip Kiosks opening in the Pattaya Area shortly with Prices from 90 Baht

post-73896-1232523877_thumb.jpg

post-73896-1232523918_thumb.jpg