Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

The majority are liking Gooses, as do I. Surely it is worth a try by all the F&C fans. Ask about the bread when they offer it, IS IT FREE?

You get one slice of crusty white bread for free with butter

That is what I think also, but maybe one of our posters got toasted with a petty waitress scam. So do ask if offered, and we'll get to the bottom of this mystery!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In any case their F&C is good. I was there much more recently, free bread. I would say a slice of their bread isn't really worth 30 baht so if they are charging, just say no when they offer.

Edited by Jingthing

$1 for a slice of bread??......me smells something fishy

Me too. I did ask the guy who got charged whether he asked for a SECOND slice. He didn't respond as yet, so the investigation continues. If this is a scamming waitress, the owner needs to know.

Edited by Jingthing

Is it an English thing to have bread and butter with f&c? I never even eat it when I go to Goose's. (or any fish and chips anywhere) Batter, potatoes and bread - woo!

All I know is they have a policy there to offer the slice with butter. A price is not mentioned. I know it is free from experience and also ASKING. It has been free for me. They of course have the right to decide to charge money for it, but they should make sure to MENTION that if the offer is made, especially as this would be a change in past policy. I understand they don't want to give it to people who don't want it.

Edited by Jingthing

No doubt defintely needs to be sorted, thats if the owner is about and not on holidays, might be another reason for the surcharge...I think the guy's asked for seconds and spat at having to pay 30baht for one slice.

As I recall all the items included with the meal were listed on the menu which included bread.

Is it an English thing to have bread and butter with f&c? I never even eat it when I go to Goose's. (or any fish and chips anywhere) Batter, potatoes and bread - woo!

Aussiechick yes its a pom thing to have bread and butter with fish and chips, it's to make a chip butty (sandwich). Just as strange to us poms is having tartar sauce with battered fish...... still takes all sorts.

If the tartar sauce is so strange to Brits, why do the better British places here all offer it?

To keep all the none Brits happy. I challenge you to find a chippy in the UK that will as a matter of course offer tartar sauce.

If the tartar sauce is so strange to Brits, why do the better British places here all offer it?

To keep all the none Brits happy. I challenge you to find a chippy in the UK that will as a matter of course offer tartar sauce.

If you say so.

:)

http://www.geales.com/

LONDON’S FIRST POSH FISH AND CHIPPY OFFERS THE BEST BATTERED FISH AND CHIPS IN TOWN. CHOOSE FROM CODE, SOLE OR HADDOCK CAUGHT FRESH DAILY FROM CORNWALL AND SERVED WITH TARTARE SAUCE AND THE YUMMIEST CHIPS YOU HAVE EVER HAD. STILL ROOM FOR MORE... IT IS A TOUGH CHOICE BETWEEN OLD TIME FAVOURITES TREACLE TART OR EATON MESS.

LOCATEDIN THE HEART OF NOTTING HILL DIRECTLY BEHIND THE GATE CINEMA.

NEAREST TUBE STATION: NOTTING HILL GATE

Perhaps there is generally a distinction between a dedicated chippie and a real sit down restaurant that serves fish and chips. Of course tartar sauce would be messy served in a newpaper.

Edited by Jingthing

If you say so.

:)

http://www.geales.com/

LONDON’S FIRST POSH FISH AND CHIPPY OFFERS THE BEST BATTERED FISH AND CHIPS IN TOWN. CHOOSE FROM CODE, SOLE OR HADDOCK CAUGHT FRESH DAILY FROM CORNWALL AND SERVED WITH TARTARE SAUCE AND THE YUMMIEST CHIPS YOU HAVE EVER HAD. STILL ROOM FOR MORE... IT IS A TOUGH CHOICE BETWEEN OLD TIME FAVOURITES TREACLE TART OR EATON MESS.

LOCATEDIN THE HEART OF NOTTING HILL DIRECTLY BEHIND THE GATE CINEMA.

NEAREST TUBE STATION: NOTTING HILL GATE

Jing you hit the nail on the head POSH not a normal chippy.

Er no I didn't ask for 'seconds'

Waitress after i had ordered local fillet 'n' chips with garden peas.............."ow kanom pa mai"

Me "ow krap"

Left half the bread as it was stale............ maybe i should of been charged 15B for the stale bread instead of 30B.

Still stand by my experience that the meal served up to me needed just a little more cooking. Hopefully just a one off and as i said I will try it again if I'm in the area

So I guess I am just very posh then, innit?

learnin the lingo there bruv :)

Oh snap, Brudda. If it wasn't for my thick Brooklynese accent, you'd take me for a Chav. When I'm not shopping for tracksuit garms and tin bling, you can find me at all the Manchester United cricket matches, cures my insomnia every time.

Er no I didn't ask for 'seconds'

Waitress after i had ordered local fillet 'n' chips with garden peas.............."ow kanom pa mai"

Me "ow krap"

Left half the bread as it was stale............ maybe i should of been charged 15B for the stale bread instead of 30B.

Still stand by my experience that the meal served up to me needed just a little more cooking. Hopefully just a one off and as i said I will try it again if I'm in the area

Truly shocking! We are on the case. Fish and Chips fans, please report your experiences about the so called "free" bread with the F&C at Mooses. This could be the beginning of another notorious fish and chip restaurant caper, perhaps rivaling the infamous Simon's "free beer coupon no good" incident!

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

OK - the slice of bread story: with fish and chips it is free, with any other meal it is 30 Baht extra. The bread is delivered fresh every morning the problem is staff forget to keep the bread bag closed so the next piece dries out rather quickly. They are being reminded constantly. Yes, the waitress does ask if you want bread so you do do have an option and I have just said with the fish and chips it comes free.

The owner, Goose, does actually read this and then tries to recify any problems he sees written on here. As he said if you have a problem tell him at the time, and he will do his best to make you a happy customer! Can't ask for much more than that.

IMHO it is still the best fish and chips I have had.

Moose's can be found either side of the place

I am not aware of Mooses. I mentioned them by accident for obvious reasons. To avoid future confusion I will think of a big bird that eats battered fried fish.

Edited by Jingthing

• 2 months later...

Is Gooses on Second road , left side before the traffic lights? :)

Sorry, I have not read the whole 9 page thread and need to take a Thai student out for Fish and chips on Thursday lunchtime. Only snag is that this student of mine has already had 'proper' fish and chips from one of the award winning makers last year in the U.K.

Anyway, he is only 8 years old( and very clever ) and hopefully won't be able to remember the difference apart from the 'woh' factor when his plate arrived with a generous portion of battered cod, chips, mushy peas and thick bread and butter all cooked/served to perfection!

So, after 9 pages, who has the current best Fish and Chips in Pattaya or Jomtien?