Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0

mussen

I bought a Microsoft wireless, optical mouse, version 2.0. Just wondering if the red internal light is supposed to glow stronger when the mouse or wheel is moved, (mine does), also I noticed that even when the computer is switched off, there is still a dim red light inside it, it this normal? I would have thought this would use up unnecessary power.

Anyone out there with a similar mouse, how long did your batteries last?

Thanks

mussen - Some of the latest Microsoft wireless mice* have "a breakthrough, power-saving technology that extends battery life", according to Microsoft.

One of the ways Microsoft extends battery life is by using a light in the mouse’s optical sensor that illuminates only as brightly as necessary, using minimal power. Microsoft wireless mouse products also go into standby mode after a certain period of inactivity, which minimizes unnecessary battery drain.

Microsoft claim this new technology extends battery life up to 6 months. (Note the words "up to".) It would appear from your description, you have one of these new models.

More info here.

cheers

(* or should it be mouse's? :o )

Edited by waldwolf

mussen - Some of the latest Microsoft wireless mice* have "a breakthrough, power-saving technology that extends battery life", according to Microsoft.
One of the ways Microsoft extends battery life is by using a light in the mouse’s optical sensor that illuminates only as brightly as necessary, using minimal power. Microsoft wireless mouse products also go into standby mode after a certain period of inactivity, which minimizes unnecessary battery drain.

Microsoft claim this new technology extends battery life up to 6 months. (Note the words "up to".) It would appear from your description, you have one of these new models.

More info here.

cheers

(* or should it be mouse's? :o )

Thanks very much Waldwolf

There is a small downside to this. I have a MS wireless explorer mouse (matrix design) and if you leave it idle for a while and then move it, it will take a moment to actually move the cursor on the screen. It's not a long pause, but it's noticeable. Otherwise, it's pretty responsive. I use rechargeable batteries, and they last about 1 month (extensive use).

There is a small downside to this.  I have a MS wireless explorer mouse (matrix design) and if you leave it idle for a while and then move it, it will take a moment to actually move the cursor on the screen.  It's not a long pause, but it's noticeable.  Otherwise, it's pretty responsive.  I use rechargeable batteries, and they last about 1 month (extensive use).

Yes......and I've also recently heard a lot of similar complaints about the start-up "time lag" on laptops with the Intel "Centrino" mobile processor.

There is a small downside to this.  I have a MS wireless explorer mouse (matrix design) and if you leave it idle for a while and then move it, it will take a moment to actually move the cursor on the screen.  It's not a long pause, but it's noticeable.  Otherwise, it's pretty responsive.  I use rechargeable batteries, and they last about 1 month (extensive use).

I've also noticed the pause, very slight, probably less than half a second, but as you saw noticeable.