Our New Pm's Hi5 Website

opalhort

I did subscribe to Khun Abhisit's site yesterday and was granted 'friend' status today.

his site is at:

Abhisit's Hi5 page

Today I sent a message to him as follows:

"Dear Khun Abhisit,

First please kindly allow me to congratulate you for becoming the new prime minister of Thailand. I dare say the vast majority of the foreign community including myself, living in Thailand very much welcomes your appointment as prime minister.

As a foreigner (German) who has been living legally here for the past 23 years, now married for 15 years and have a 14 year old son, I do have some questions / requests for you to consider helping us make our life easier, more secure and more predictable.

1) Why do I still have to go through the process of annual visa renewals after all those years (I do not qualify for permanent residence status because of the very tough income requirements)?

2) The requirements for visa renewals keep changing frequently and I am never sure if I will still qualify for a renewal the next year, which makes me and my Thai family feel very insecure. Case in point being the recent Police order 777/2551 which was issued on 25.11.2551 and came into force on the same day. Though it did not affect me directly, the new rules caused hardship for many Thai families with a foreign husband / father.

3) I do understand that Thailand has to promote tourism and at the same time prevent foreigners from abusing the visa system and working in Thailand illegally (sad to say, but many foreigners have and still do abuse the system), but for long term staying foreigners with a Thai family, life should be made easier and more secure. Other countries can do it, so why not Thailand as well?

Note: we do have a small family run plant export company (I do have a work permit) which provides us with an income to live in Thailand comfortably but does not meet my personal income requirements as stipulated by immigration laws.

I hope, Khun Abhisit that in the near future you will be able to address issues which are of concern for the foreign community living in Thailand.

For now of course your first priority should be to re-unite the population of Thailand and get the economy back up and running.

Best regards

(signed in real name)"

What do you think if many foreigners write to him? Could it help or hurt us?

opalhort

Hmm, I receive quite a few unsolicited emails from Thai females asking me to subscribe to their Hi5 website. Bearing in mind that Khun Abhisit has sent out a load of 'spam' sms messages, do you think I should place him in the same category as the unsolicited emails that I receive from the Thai ladies? (Sorry Khun Abhisit, but spamming people with text messages is really not a good idea....)

Simon

I don't think he would pay any attention.

I'm an optimist. Let's wait and see.

It can't hurt to try.

opalhort

Since this topic has been moved. I can now say what I think.

He does not care about ordinary Thai's so why would he care about farangs and their wives.

He is only going to look out for his elite supporters.

Anyway I don't think he is going to be PM long enough to do anything.

I don't think he would pay any attention.

I would make more comments but they could be considered poltical and I don't think this is the proper forum for those.

I think he cares a lot. In fact, I think Khun Abhisit joined just so the OP wouldn´t feel lonely among all the youngsters at hi5...

Abhisit does care as I know him but not very close!

If you have been here a long time and had a chance to meet him on various occasions and develop somewhat of an opinion about him you will find he is really caring and understanding of all issues.

BB

Abhisit does care as I know him but not very close!

If you have been here a long time and had a chance to meet him on various occasions and develop somewhat of an opinion about him you will find he is really caring and understanding of all issues.

BB

I hope you are right... If you are correct I wish him the best of luck and hope he reaches out and tries to help ALL segments of the Thai population.

I may not have liked the actions of those who supported him, but I think any politician that could do the above would be very good for Thailand.

Not saying he is that man, but it would be nice if he was, I am willing to reserve my opinion until I see what he does.

Both Hi5 and FB, he doesn't make them himself but his secretaries. They just print out some questions and he does answers back a few due to his small free time.

and no ... not "my" PM

Edited by thithi