Get The Sand Off The Ghostroad. Now!

Regardless of how long you've been riding, if you want to find out how much you DON'T know, take any sort of experienced rider course.

I thought I knew it all until I took some advanced training- I was so wrong- it was a very humbling experience. :o

There were guys who had 25+ years of road and track experience taking classes to improve their technique.

Regardless of how long you've been riding, if you want to find out how much you DON'T know, take any sort of experienced rider course.

I thought I knew it all until I took some advanced training- I was so wrong- it was a very humbling experience. :D

There were guys who had 25+ years of road and track experience taking classes to improve their technique.

:o Exactly

Today they cleaned the ringroad in baan lamai from sand by using high preassure water from a firetruck(No,no removal of a accident). Maybe the message are coming through.

Merry Christmas folks

Mr Lamai

Did they use a hose? It looks like they used a grader and pushed it all off, leaving a thin layer of (shock, horror!) SAND!

But it is amazing that it was done at all. What on earth were they thinking of? Any attempt to clean up the roads there can only mean one thing:

SOMEONE IMPORTANT (READ DISTANT RELATIVE OF THE ROYAL FAMILY) IS COMING TO CHECK OUT THE NEW CONSTRUCTION AT BUDDY!

Keep your eyes peeled for the convoy of darkened windowed vehicles...and the traffic closures along the way.

Just to put in my penneth on the bike control topic. :D

The problem for most people who have never ridden in sandy or slipper (mud) conditions and experienced the sudden lack of grip and control of the bike is more throttle control opposed to braking.

When the bike makes that sudden movement 90% (or more) of people with snap the throttle shut which is the worst thing to do - since it'll either regain grip and throw you highside (or face first at low speed) or the slide will become uncontrollable and drop you lowside.

Getting use to controlling slide or sudden lack of traction is a totally different ability to normal driving/riding conditions. Personally having many years of trials and moto-x riding under my belt I have learnt instinctively how to counter and control them (including big road bikes) and love the sliding feeling.

The road to my house here are basically dirt tracks with occasional sand pockets which I purposely ride through, I'll get up to about 40 ot 50 kmph before I hit a sandpocket, then the front will starts to slide, then when the back wheel hits you get a back slide - open the throttle more and hold on the bike bucks about goes sideways a bit but as soon as you are back on the harder dirt it rights itself and you have a big grin and a chuckle to yourself! :o

People who ride bikes and want to improve their bike control should take some Trials or Moto-x courses to learn real throttle, brake and clutch control - most MotoGP riders started out learning that way. On the road bike you cannot push the limits and learn about the 'what if' scenarios when you sudden do not have control without risking serious injury.

My bike experience is 24 years of riding - I am 34 now. :D

Still the answer about the people involved in the accidents wearing a helmet hasn't been answered by the OP. Even with the flimsy helmets on sale here, there would be some kind of protection for the victims, since the OP talks about head and facial injuries. It's unfortunate but it's not very difficult to assume that the victims weren't wearing a helmet.

Maybe the OP should berate these drivers about the use of helmets.

None of the girls i been writing about (this thread and another one 2 mos ago) had helmets. The reflex to "hold the head high" is gone when you are intoxicated with alcohol. When i drove racingbikes, we learned "how to fall". I fell 100 of times on the track, in high speed, with propeper gear on, and knowing how to fall, it´s usually harmless, allthough something offcourse sometimes goes wrong. But with no knowledge, no gear, and halfway drunk, you can be very low speed and still get badly injured. The head don´t take much. Its a thin shell really. And sliding on the ground without gear, we used to describe as similar to putting your hand on a rotating grinding-stone. Would you do it? No? So, dont drive without gear, used to be our arguments. And here i am now driving in short pants and sometimes without helmet. But i always have those old times in the back of my head. I am aware. Drive slow, dont drink much. And watch out for the other maniacs on the road over here. Plus the bad road, loose dogs et.

The last girl (in this op) was bleeding all over the place. She hit the front off her face to the ground. Probably hard since the neckmuscle is the first to relax when you drink alohol. Already after 2 beers you are not able to hold up your neck if pressure is put on it. I know, that if you hit a blood vein in the lip or noose or the eye, it can look more nasty that it really is. But she was all covered in blood. It looked very nasty. I sure hope she´s ok again, but i dont know. For sure she will come out with nasty scars in her face for the very least.

Take a look in the Banrak bar area. These isaan girls newly arrived have zero experience in alot of the thing they do. You speak to some of the newbies and you can just hear they are about to die. Up til 2 months ago, some off them NEVER road a bike, almost NEVER drank alchol, almost NEVER had sex even really and here they came with the promise to "go to samui and be rich". Standing in a bar drinking themselves drunk on commission, drundriving motorbikes without helmet, having sex with strangers with no protection, and after being here for a while in some cases the "ganja" comes in the picture. Said really. Still with no money in the wallet since there is not any people in the bars.

I guess we should start a course already in isaan, educate this people about some things that they just dont understand is dangerous. Ooppps, wait a minuite, now im stepping into destroying tourism again. There´s alot of people here that make their living out of what these girls bring in so i might get the almighty samui forum maffia after me again now. I rest my case.

people here drive like crazy without any thinking for consequences and when they fell on the floor it's like a baby learning life, the small accident they did in the ghost road was certainly a lesson for them and maybe saved them from a future big accident wich could have cost their life.

sand is normal in places near the sea, holes in the road are not and are a real threat.

people here drive like crazy without any thinking for consequences and when they fell on the floor it's like a baby learning life, the small accident they did in the ghost road was certainly a lesson for them and maybe saved them from a future big accident wich could have cost their life.

sand is normal in places near the sea, holes in the road are not and are a real threat.

The way she was bleeding i call it more than a "lesson". Hope she survived. :o .

The way she was bleeding i call it more than a "lesson". Hope she survived. :o .

of course but don't forget a drop of blood looks massive on the floor compared to a drop of water, so it was certainly more impressive than something else at least i hope it.