Tis The Season

bkkjames

If you ask most Thais, they say if police at a checkpoint see farang in the car they'll not want to stop it for no good reason. I have found that to be true.

Me too, Carl. I've always been waved on when I'm driving alone. Only when Ms. Bino is in the car will I get stopped!

If you ask most Thais, they say if police at a checkpoint see farang in the car they'll not want to stop it for no good reason. I have found that to be true.

Me too, Carl. I've always been waved on when I'm driving alone. Only when Ms. Bino is in the car will I get stopped!

Upcountry, I legitimately deserved a ticket once and was let off because I smiled!

Not uncommon for this time of year but would like to let everyone know that the BIB are out in force at night doing their usual spot checks of farangs heading home late in the evening.

Case in point, last Thursday night I was returning from setting up an event at CF lad prao at 2:30 am and the taxi turned off Rachada onto Petchburi Road - into a road block.

Now normally one would think they are doing this to check for drunk drivers but nope - it's hassle the farang time of year again.

The head cop pointed his flashlight through the windshield and saw me sitting in the back of the cab. At which point he summoned it to pull over. He approached the passenger door where I was sitting and then asked me to get out. What proceeded was the usual silly questions 'where have i been / going x 2' at which point he realised that I hadn't been drinking and perhaps my dirty hands and clothing were enough to convince him that I was in fact doing what I said and was just heading home.

On other occaisions, the BIB usually do the old empty the pocket / look in the wallet routine and ask for the passport, but this time it was just the annoying questions. FYI, Sukhumvit Road up to Ekkamai is notorious for these 'security checks'.

Sounds like the 55 boys and there out of there jurisdiction again the bunch of ##&$!*@#!!!!!!!!!!!!, careful one dude replace his extra round with a bag of blow. ROFL…

James I thought u where the man to call when things got a little rough. :o

One of the disadvantages of living along Sukhumvit is dealing with the hassles mentioned in the above posts. If you move out of the tourist areas you don't have to put up with this kind of thing. No need to move too far though. I lived on Pahonyothin near the Major Cineplex for a couple of years and wasn't stopped by the police once. Another advantage of moving away from Sukhumvit is that prices for many things drop a little, i.e. apartments and eating out. :o

They have been out in force up here the last week, with a number of their roadside checkpoints. I'll assume that it's time to get in the Chritmas bonuses. Checkpoint by Central, one by Major and another up on Kasesart- Nawamin.

I live in Ratchayothin, but did not see the BIB doing any checking. Do they pull over private cars with farang/thai in them?

I guess they were breathalyzing.

One of the disadvantages of living along Sukhumvit is dealing with the hassles mentioned in the above posts. If you move out of the tourist areas you don't have to put up with this kind of thing. No need to move too far though. I lived on Pahonyothin near the Major Cineplex for a couple of years and wasn't stopped by the police once. Another advantage of moving away from Sukhumvit is that prices for many things drop a little, i.e. apartments and eating out. :o

They have been out in force up here the last week, with a number of their roadside checkpoints. I'll assume that it's time to get in the Chritmas bonuses. Checkpoint by Central, one by Major and another up on Kasesart- Nawamin.

I live in Ratchayothin, but did not see the BIB doing any checking. Do they pull over private cars with farang/thai in them?

Well, one of the checpoints by Central was early morning, so I doubt they were doing brethalyzing, but they were pulling over private cars. Up on Nawamin, they tend to hit motorbikes more so, but they do have the cars out. By Major on the corner turning onto Rachadapisek the other week, they were pulling cars over. In the end I didn't gett pulled so, not sure what they were actually doing.

Well, one of the checpoints by Central was early morning, so I doubt they were doing brethalyzing, but they were pulling over private cars. Up on Nawamin, they tend to hit motorbikes more so, but they do have the cars out. By Major on the corner turning onto Rachadapisek the other week, they were pulling cars over. In the end I didn't gett pulled so, not sure what they were actually doing.

Normally, these checkpoints, during the day, are pulling over vehicles with expired or no insurance/tax discs.

By the toll booths, its normally a speed trap a mile or so before the toll booths, or an 'out of town' registration plate, that gets you stopped..