Prathom Schools For Eurasians

Neeranam

One of my daughters is starting Prathom(Primary) School in May. We have to decide which one to send her to. There is an International school near our house but I think that it's a waste of money for a 6 year old. We can afford to pay it but we'd have to cut back on holidays abroad etc. From what I've seen of international students, I wouldn't want her to go there anyway. They seem to be spoiled brats into drugs and want to forget their Thai roots.

What we are looking at now are blingual schools, govt.schools and catholic schols, with or without English programs. I used to work in English programs in Bangkok years ago and from what I saw, I think they are a waste of money too. Former butchers teaching science and retired Scandinavian seamen teaching sociology.

My daughter speaks English well(well like me :o ) and I have no worries about that. I'm thinking that the best thing may be to go to a good Thai school and use the saved money to have tutors.

I'd like to hear people's experience and thoughts on this.

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

One of my daughters is starting Prathom(Primary) School in May. We have to decide which one to send her to. There is an International school near our house but I think that it's a waste of money for a 6 year old. We can afford to pay it but we'd have to cut back on holidays abroad etc. From what I've seen of international students, I wouldn't want her to go there anyway. They seem to be spoiled brats into drugs and want to forget their Thai roots.

What we are looking at now are blingual schools, govt.schools and catholic schols, with or without English programs. I used to work in English programs in Bangkok years ago and from what I saw, I think they are a waste of money too. Former butchers teaching science and retired Scandinavian seamen teaching sociology.

My daughter speaks English well(well like me :o ) and I have no worries about that. I'm thinking that the best thing may be to go to a good Thai school and use the saved money to have tutors.

I'd like to hear people's experience and thoughts on this.

Sorry if it's in the wrong forum.

Not that you will listen to me :D but I do agree with you. My Mrs didn't go to a International School nor did she buy (donate) her way into Uni, she earned a scholorship the old fashioned way - hard work and dedication and support (time) of her parents.

With our little one on the way, we have discussed your situation already and have decided against 'big name - little substance' international schooling for ours when the time comes.

While it still has a way to go, the old heirarchy of career advancement based on seniority < skills is slowly changing and suspect that in another decade or so - advancement will be based more on merit / achievement and not because you have a big last name. One can hope at least.

I've got one Girl in Nursery and two in Primary School. Were out in the sticks so no International schools. We have the 'Local' school which I'm not impressed with. then there's a sort of private school which seems aimed at the small business, shop keeper types.

The fees are ridiculously low, 500B per term, plus the usual, books, food, bus etc.. The majority of the fee is paid by the goverment if the Kids are thai citizens. The standard is very high in my opinion, Theres an entrance exam, but they were keen to have our Kids to help with the English lessons. The teachers are all young , straight out of teaching college and keen.

only problem I have is just too much homework even in Nursery. We have to get an older girl who went to the 'local' school in each evening to help with it, she confirms that the work is harder than she had at a similar age . They have English lessons and english homework too. They have been in primary school in england also and they seem happier in the Thai School.

Maybe they have similar schools near you.