John Dykes

polecat

John Dykes as in Football Focus etc.

Just interested.

Tried Googling, but all I come up with are things like:

"After a long career in sports media, John has established himself as the best in Asia..."

which isn't particularly illuminating.

Personally I can't stand him. He reminds me of goody-goodies from school who had names like "Robin" and wore duffle coats. His faux mateyness makes me want to vomit. Many of my chums, however, think he's excellent. my mates are silly.

But all this is by the by. I keep seeing him referred to as an experienced sports journalist but can't find reference to anything he's done apart from these ESPN shows.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

John Dykes as in Football Focus etc.

Just interested.

Tried Googling, but all I come up with are things like:

"After a long career in sports media, John has established himself as the best in Asia..."

which isn't particularly illuminating.

Personally I can't stand him. He reminds me of goody-goodies from school who had names like "Robin" and wore duffle coats. His faux mateyness makes me want to vomit. Many of my chums, however, think he's excellent. my mates are silly.

But all this is by the by. I keep seeing him referred to as an experienced sports journalist but can't find reference to anything he's done apart from these ESPN shows.

Nick name

Dykesy

Biog

John Dykes is ESPN STAR Sports' face of football. After a long career in sports media, John has established himself as the best in Asia.

Favourite team/sport

Football, Rugby Union

Did you know?

To keep fit John trains with Muay Thai fighter Zig Zach from The Contender Asia

Programme credit

LIVE Football, First Edition, Football Focus, Football Up Close

you have a crush on him or something??? :o

Yeah, except I know we could never consummate our relationship. The man is so plastic I'm sure the squeaking would put me off my stride.

Er... I found the above info already - that's why I quoted it.

Come on, did he work in newspapers, radio... what? Any experience in the UK, or only in SEA?

Yeah, except I know we could never consummate our relationship. The man is so plastic I'm sure the squeaking would put me off my stride.

Er... I found the above info already - that's why I quoted it.

Come on, did he work in newspapers, radio... what? Any experience in the UK, or only in SEA?

well, why not send them an email at football focus?

john dykes is a pretty standard journo and presenter. he previously worked for the south china morning post in hong kong and presented on HK's TVB channel. don't think he's particularly massively sports experienced.

he is however better than his equivalent on sky in england, the failed breakfast tv presenter and missing darwinian link, richard keys.

john dykes is a pretty standard journo and presenter. he previously worked for the south china morning post in hong kong and presented on HK's TVB channel. don't think he's particularly massively sports experienced.

he is however better than his equivalent on sky in england, the failed breakfast tv presenter and missing darwinian link, richard keys.

Aaah ok, SCMP and TVB. Cheers $tevieMBE. Do you know if he covered sports for them? I'd wager not.

Watching "Dyksesy" and "Keysey" go at it on First Edition is like witnessing two exciteable labrador puppies licking ice cream off each other. (That's a bad thing, by the way, bkkjames)

Aaah ok, SCMP and TVB. Cheers $tevieMBE. Do you know if he covered sports for them? I'd wager not.

Watching "Dyksesy" and "Keysey" go at it on First Edition is like witnessing two exciteable labrador puppies licking ice cream off each other. (That's a bad thing, by the way, bkkjames)

i think he did cover sports yeah. but then covering english sport from hong kong is not really covering sport properly.

keys is on espn as well is he? never seen that. he drives / drove me insane on sky though with his thinly-veiled agenda-setting tabloidesque questioning. no knowledge of the game whatsoever but continually attempting to get some pathetic controversy out of gray or other pundits to justify their unnecessarily long coverage. hairy tit that he is.

masefield is from the midlands and never made the big time, just like jamie reeves and the clown that is shebby. macmahon is the only one who has played football at the highest level and the only one who seems to talk any sense.

I agree with the OP about Dykes, he is like a little kid, I imagine he has idiot mittens when he is in the UK :o

As for masefield, I met him in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago at an event and his ego is as big as his fat @rse, however he can easily be shot down when meeting people who actually know how mediocre his playing career was.

:o

Masefield's one of yours though?

nah, nowt to do with us as far as i know. unless he's a fan. never played for us.

i have pretty much zero respect for every ex-red who is now a media pundit, apart from maybe hansen and phil thompson. kenny dalglish is good value when he's on as he just tells it as it is and also supports the club in the face of unwarranted criticism. most are just using their ties with the club to fund their golf habits though.

:o

Masefield's one of yours though?

nah, nowt to do with us as far as i know. unless he's a fan. never played for us.

i have pretty much zero respect for every ex-red who is now a media pundit, apart from maybe hansen and phil thompson. kenny dalglish is good value when he's on as he just tells it as it is and also supports the club in the face of unwarranted criticism. most are just using their ties with the club to fund their golf habits though.

Someone told me that Masey-Wasey played for Torquay or some other south coast outfit in Division Z99.

As far as John Dykes is concerned,it always seems to me as though he considers his viewing audience as schoolchildren as does that other annoying toerag Andy Penders.

As far as John Dykes is concerned,it always seems to me as though he considers his viewing audience as schoolchildren as does that other annoying toerag Andy Penders.

they largely are now though. since the skyification of football in 1992 and the following of football by people who had never really liked, played or understood the game, the presentation and punditry has become increasingly dumbed-down. there's hardly any place in the mass media for intelligent football debate any more, it's mostly mass-market tabloid cliche and lazy misinformation that is thrown about so that people who don't really follow football can pretend to get it.

they largely are now though. since the skyification of football in 1992 and the following of football by people who had never really liked, played or understood the game, the presentation and punditry has become increasingly dumbed-down. there's hardly any place in the mass media for intelligent football debate any more, it's mostly mass-market tabloid cliche and lazy misinformation that is thrown about so that people who don't really follow football can pretend to get it.

These people are supposed to enlighten us with their wisdom and foresight but all the overpaid ,lazy minded idiots want to do is tell us what happened AFTER the event.I know that,I want them to tell me something I DON'T know.

As for masefield, I met him in Kuala Lumpur a few years ago at an event and his ego is as big as his fat @rse, however he can easily be shot down when meeting people who actually know how mediocre his playing career was.

Really!!!!!

I will have to tell him what you said.

I know Mase, although I wouldnt class him as a friend, he is someone who I share a drink or 10 on several occasions.

He really is one of the good guys, has NO ego at all and has a genuine interest in football, especially training young kids.

To give you an idea of how unpretentious he is, when I first met him I always thought he was a Birmingham fan, so my opening gambit was something like 'How are you Bluenose?"

to which he replied "Bluenose? I cant stand Birmingham, they sacked me" referring to his failed temporary playing career with them. No ego there just an all round good guy who enjoys the banter :o

Really!!!!!

I will have to tell him what you said.

I know Mase, although I wouldnt class him as a friend, he is someone who I share a drink or 10 on several occasions.

He really is one of the good guys, has NO ego at all and has a genuine interest in football, especially training young kids.

To give you an idea of how unpretentious he is, when I first met him I always thought he was a Birmingham fan, so my opening gambit was something like 'How are you Bluenose?"

to which he replied "Bluenose? I cant stand Birmingham, they sacked me" referring to his failed temporary playing career with them. No ego there just an all round good guy who enjoys the banter :o

thats good, i met him at genting and he came across that day with an ego, maybe i got it wrong and I apologise if I got it wrong, maybe he was having a bad day or maybe we wound him up :D

And whilst we are on the subject, can someone explain to P J Roberts that there are more words in the English language than "Certainly Is"

I am just glad that snot nosed pencil necked journo from the Guardian or whereever isn't on.

For all our bitching and moaning about the show though, I think we have to agree that a) we continue to watch FF and b... it's ten times better than listening to those local morons with the notebook computers at half time of most matches. The real benefit of watching the late game on Sat night is that these kiddies have gone to bed and they show that EPL review show at half time.

The real benefit of watching the late game on Sat night is that these kiddies have gone to bed and they show that EPL review show at half time.

This week's magic number is 22 - the number of appearances John Masefield made in English league football, despite being at 6 clubs. Still, at least Dyksey likes his beard ("I'm liking it Mase, I'm liking it!" :o )

And whilst we are on the subject, can someone explain to P J Roberts that there are more words in the English language than "Certainly Is"

I am just glad that snot nosed pencil necked journo from the Guardian or whereever isn't on.

For all our bitching and moaning about the show though, I think we have to agree that a) we continue to watch FF and b... it's ten times better than listening to those local morons with the notebook computers at half time of most matches. The real benefit of watching the late game on Sat night is that these kiddies have gone to bed and they show that EPL review show at half time.

Totally agree. :o

The real benefit of watching the late game on Sat night is that these kiddies have gone to bed and they show that EPL review show at half time.

This week's magic number is 22 - the number of appearances John Masefield made in English league football, despite being at 6 clubs. Still, at least Dyksey likes his beard ("I'm liking it Mase, I'm liking it!" :o )

What about Paul Masefield?

who is the pencil-necked journalist you refer to james? i don't really watch these review shows you see, only the live stuff. i tend to get my reviews from english tv and radio.

still i'd rather watch three guys with laptops speaking a language i don't understand than watch andy gray and richard keys bastardising the game i love with a language that i do.

who is the pencil-necked journalist you refer to james? i don't really watch these review shows you see, only the live stuff. i tend to get my reviews from english tv and radio.

still i'd rather watch three guys with laptops speaking a language i don't understand than watch andy gray and richard keys bastardising the game i love with a language that i do.

fortuneatly Keys is only on Football Countdown or whatever its called on Fridays and the Champions League. The other guy, can't rember his name fills in on occaision on FF and has never touched a football in his life. Bit like Piers Morgan, pure <deleted> all the way and has the annoying voice that qualifies him uniquely for print journalism.

piers morgan? there isn't a hel_l horrible enough for that despicable unflushable turd.

you ever seen the sunday supplement on sky sports? used to be hosted by jimmy hill. one hand grenade on that studio would improve the overall quality of football journalism about 200%.

John Masefield is the guy who stands in when Paul's not available. They're identical apart from the facial hair.

The other guy, can't rember his name fills in on occaision on FF and has never touched a football in his life.

I know it's not the point you're making, but a pet hate of mine is when people criticise pundits or referees for not having played the game at the highest level. To my mind, the most bum-clenchingly bad punditry etc is done by ex-pros who only get the job because they used to play.

I've never played at the top level (although I'm only mid-thirties, so there is time) but I'm sure I could offer more of an insight into the game than the likes of Jamie ("top, top player") Redknapp or Robbie ("thooperb goal that") Earle.

Then again, maybe not.