Non Immigrant 'o' Visa Extension Question

I will switch from a tourist visa to a 3 month non-immigrant 'o' visa in January. After that is done, I will need to apply for an extension when there is less than 30 days remaining on my non-immigrant 'o' visa.

My wife makes over 40k per month, so I thought there was no issue extending the non-immigrant 'o' visa. But I read there was a change recently that may require me to have 400k baht in the bank. Is that true?

Thanks for the help.

I will switch from a tourist visa to a 3 month non-immigrant 'o' visa in January. After that is done, I will need to apply for an extension when there is less than 30 days remaining on my non-immigrant 'o' visa.

My wife makes over 40k per month, so I thought there was no issue extending the non-immigrant 'o' visa. But I read there was a change recently that may require me to have 400k baht in the bank. Is that true?

Thanks for the help.

The new requirement is that YOU have to have 40,000 Baht monthly income OR 400,000 in the bank

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I assume the 400,000 can be invested in some security that the bank has such as a money market or mutual fund in order to reap some benefit of having the money there.

I am not sure at what point an investment in a security at Kasikorn Bank is not 'in a local Thai bank'.

Savings account or fixed interest accounts are the only ones that seem to be accepted. :o

Yes that is correct. That has created problems for a lot of people.

It is possible to get a letter from your embassy/consulate to prove income. Some allow it to be from a savings account or other types of accounts outside of Thailand.

Where are you from?

Edited by ubonjoe

the old rules were a joint income of 40,000 Bt per month ,, am l reading it correctly that it is now only the farang that must have that income ????

cheers

egg

Yes. But they have the discretion to apply the old ruling for previous applicants for the first year.

Yes that is correct. That has created problems for a lot of people.

It is possible to get a letter from your embassy/consulate to prove income. Some allow it to be from a savings account or other types of accounts outside of Thailand.

Where are you from?

From Australia Joe ,,, l have just done my third yearly extension (mid Nov) ,,, wifes income about 25,000 PM ,, a statement from my embassy showing my income (pension) but that was 2 and a half years old , plus the 400,000 in the bank and everything went ok ,,,, was just thinking about next year

cheers

egg

From Australia Joe ,,, l have just done my third yearly extension (mid Nov) ,,, wifes income about 25,000 PM ,, a statement from my embassy showing my income (pension) but that was 2 and a half years old , plus the 400,000 in the bank and everything went ok ,,,, was just thinking about next year

cheers

egg

It is Income OR 400,000 Baht in the bank. That's probably why they accepted your out of date Embassy Letter.

The money in the bank is all you will need next year also.

cheers

egg

It is Income OR 400,000 Baht in the bank. That's probably why they accepted your out of date Embassy Letter.

The money in the bank is all you will need next year also.

thanks for that LB ,,,,the way the Aussie $ has been ,,, l had better start saving now for next year :o

cheers

egg