Canon Eos 5d Mk11

The Vulcan

Canon responds to black dot and banding concerns

Canon has published a statement in response to concerns raised about the EOS 5D Mk II. The announcement addresses the widely discussed 'Black Dot' and 'Vertical Banding' issues being reported by owners and potential owners who have been scrutinizing the camera's output. The company says it is investigating both issues and will work on 'measures to reduce or eliminate these phenomena.'

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0812/08121902canon5ddots.asp

Canon has published a statement in response to concerns raised about the EOS 5D Mk II. The announcement addresses the widely discussed 'Black Dot' and 'Vertical Banding' issues being reported by owners and potential owners who have been scrutinizing the camera's output. The company says it is investigating both issues and will work on 'measures to reduce or eliminate these phenomena.'

Both mine work fine. :o

OK, only joking - I'm still at the "how can I possibly talk myself into getting one with the pound so grim" stage. Lust will probably prevail in 2009! Happy New Year.

Sadly it's come in at a somewhat dissapointing price. Early indications were $2500 (86.5k) but Fotofile are selling at 99k. Ebay also seems to be a similar price. On top of this the current hand grip is useless adding a possible further 15k or so. The previous lithium batteries are also redundant as is the remote release.

Rounding it all off I reckon you'd be in for c. 130k which is a real consideration.

I personally would like to see DEFINITIVE image examples against the current MK1 before lashing out.

I'm not interested in shooting grain free at 12,500 ISO or higher and the video mode is useless to me.

My early inclinations are to stick with my MK1.

Edited by The Vulcan

I read about the black dots a lot, and it seems to be a problem Canon is probably busting there b*&^ for right now. I agree the price is way to high at 99k when you can get a Mk 1 for 58k but the price will probably drop after new year as everything else, expensive before Xmas.

For me full frame is no point to be honest as I started with a clean slate in digital again after I sold my Nikon film camera with all the lenses. If I had a lot of lenses laying around for full frame especially wide ones I would go for a Mk 1, lot of value for the money for a great camera.

Video mode in a dSLR??? why? the autofucus hardly work in the vdo mode and it eats up your memory card in 4 minutes, also they reduced the flash sync to 1/200 vs the old at 1/250 which is much more important for many users of the 5D, so I don't really get it with Canon on the model...

Before full frame digital was the way to go to get really ultrawide shots, so that was one of the main reasons for people went for them, now when there are several excellent ultrawides for cropped sensor there is no such reason anymore. Right now the main deal is to buy one if you already have invested in wide /ultrawide for full frame sensor.

I think the 50D would do me personally much better, 1/250 flash sync, 6.3 frames per second shooting, sealed for dust for tough environment, it got all the great photography functions you would need for less than half the price so luckily for me and others not heavily invested in wide full frame we can go for that model...

there's a new review by cameralabs here in 2 parts..

for me, this camera would be (aside from the 1080i vid possibilities) totally useless as a workable unit for fast wildlife/bird photography.. quite simply, its far too slow for that...

the Nikon D300 remains king in this particular field...

I have seen some very favorable reviews of the Canon 50D as a camera for bird photography. I think I will buy after the New Year. The Mk11 is out of my league anyway and I don't want a full sensor.

But Canon needs to get a grip on quality control, they have had problems with all new cameras the last couple of years. Seems they are going the Microsoft way: let the punters do the bug testing :o

I have seen some very favorable reviews of the Canon 50D as a camera for bird photography. I think I will buy after the New Year. The Mk11 is out of my league anyway and I don't want a full sensor.

But Canon needs to get a grip on quality control, they have had problems with all new cameras the last couple of years. Seems they are going the Microsoft way: let the punters do the bug testing :o

close call Hanno, the 50d has a few more megapixels so slightly more cropability perhaps.. but the d300 has a full 100% immensely bright viewfinder coverage and a massive 51 point AF system compared to the 50d's meagre 9 point & 95% coverage. They're both roughly as fast as each other at around 6fps.. I know u visit Birdforum, seen u on there so i know u've done your homework (i'm there too under a different name than here) but at the end of the day, its what u like yourself that counts.. & for me though, its the d300 that wins this contest.

Having said all that, i've seen equally good results from both bodies..

Current UK price standing at 1,750 UKP (88k baht) for body only and (apparently) dropping slightly.

Maybe we'll see this reflect over here in due course :o

A friend has recently acquired the MK11 kit with a 24-105L and having established the lens cost he actually paid 1,650 UKP for the body!

Any member got the new MK11 yet?

How are you developing your RAW files?

I got one of the first batch that FotoFile had almost 3 weeks ago. The camera is great and produces STUNNING images. If you "expose to the right" ISO 6400 shots are remarkably clean. Even if you don't, the results are very impressive.

I use Photoshop CS4 to process the RAW files and it works very well indeed.

Sadly it's come in at a somewhat dissapointing price. Early indications were $2500 (86.5k) but Fotofile are selling at 99k. Ebay also seems to be a similar price. On top of this the current hand grip is useless adding a possible further 15k or so. The previous lithium batteries are also redundant as is the remote release.

Actually, the US price is $2700 which in baht at current exchange rates is 92,800 baht. I got one of the first batch from FotoFile and the price was 97,000 baht. I did not even need to negotiate - they immediately knocked 2,000 baht off. I would have happily paid 99k baht. So the Thai price is a little more than the US price but not so much as to make it unreasonably expensive.

The 5D mark 1 is available new at FotoFile for 49,900 baht according to their website.

:o I bought it in Japan when it was 170,000 Baht at fotofile.

I like 5D so much I might as well get another one if the price further drops.

Canon have issued a firmware fix:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/090108025d2firmware.asp

• 1 month later...

I agree with Stickman, it is a great camera and definitely an improvement on the previous model.

I have shot about 6500 exposures since I bought mine (Singapore) in December.

A lot of my work is low light, and where previously my Mark i produced very grainy images at 3200 ISO, the Mark II does a lot better.

I like the menu system where all important parameters can be accessed on the large screen on the back of the camera, great improvement over the previous menu systems.

Its buffer is big enough to deal with some of the action shots I took, it seized up once or twice, but quickly recovered.

The battery is enough for about 950 shots, the most i ever did in a day, which means I won't need a spare (yet)

Wholeheartedly recommended, worth every penny!