Bars & Temples

simba

just wondering if anyone had heard about goverment plans to not allow  bars to be near temples ( i think witin sight ).

Hmmmmm... That would be interesting because in Chiang Mai there are hundreds of temple in the old city if you go 100yards in any direction you hit a temple or Chedi. May be a work around to the entertainment area idea. With almost every square yard in sight of some temple, I guess all the bars will be closing very soon....LOL.

The one good thing about the Catholic religon is that they tend to see a bar as a natural extension to the church.

What with the priest getting half shanked at communion and the old boys round the table at the "last supper" :D

Make mine a glass of Bow-jul-ais-new-vo...father :o

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone had heard about goverment plans to not allow  bars to be near temples ( i think witin sight ).

just a whisper my girlfriend heard around chiang mia,

any truth in it??

This is from the Pattayamail

Nightclubs near schools and temples banned

The government plans to ban new nightclubs and entertainment venues from opening close to education institutes and religious places. The ban will come into force from January 1, the deputy interior minister, Pracha Maleenont said.

Under the new regulation, night entertainment venues and places that sell alcohol and cigarettes should be located more than 500 meters away from education and religious establishments. Owners of night entertainment projects must apply for government licenses to operate these venues, and if the planned project is close to a religious and educational establishment, the authorities will not issue the license.

The ban is an interior ministry regulation. It is part of a new bill regulating night entertainment currently being considered by the Cabinet. (TNA)

thanks guys ( bartender 100 ) usefull information.

Girl friend had hassle from head honcho in village about here bar being opposite a temple and a new law, and was told she had to move it in the new year.

Good to no thers sum truth in it rather than bull from the locals.

Cheers.

ps Happy Christmas and a Sober New Year to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always been the case that night entertainment areas are not supposed to be near temples and schools, but the enforcement of this rule has been varied.

In Bangkok Khao Sarn road was turned down as a night life zone because of its proximity to temples and schools. I remember ten years ago some Thais wanted to open dancing shows or go-go bars close to Khao Sarn but were turned down for the same reason.

So there isn't a new rule but the current climate of strictness probably will make such considerations more important. I do think that if restrictions on nightlife in Thailand are to be relaxed then it's important not to have open conflicts with the more respectable side of Thai life. That's the Thai way -- as long as things are hidden and not in open conflict, they are acceptable. And that's not illogical after all, is it?