Laser Treatment For Bladder Cancer

delmersomsri

Currently having cancer spots in my bladder burned off by laser every three months. Chemo has not eliminated the need for this surgery so it will be an on going proccess for the rest of my life. If not then it will eventually kill me. Treatment currently done in the USA. What treatment would I expect to find in Thailand and possible cost? My Thai wife and I expect to be in Thailand March 2009. I am an American and hope to retire there. We have family scattered from Bangkok to Khorat. Do the VA hospitals still exist in Japan? Had thought that visiting them when needed would be an option. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Currently having cancer spots in my bladder burned off by laser every three months. Chemo has not eliminated the need for this surgery so it will be an on going proccess for the rest of my life. If not then it will eventually kill me. Treatment currently done in the USA. What treatment would I expect to find in Thailand and possible cost? My Thai wife and I expect to be in Thailand March 2009. I am an American and hope to retire there. We have family scattered from Bangkok to Khorat. Do the VA hospitals still exist in Japan? Had thought that visiting them when needed would be an option. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The following are western-trained urologists practicing at international standard hospitals. Both have treated other forum members for cancer of the prostate or bladder with favorable recommendations:

Dr Thanoo Choovichian at Samitivej (www.samitivej.co.th)

Dr. Viroj Chodchoy at Bumrungrad (www.bumrungrad.com)

Both hospitals I know offer a range of treatments including fairly new options such as bracytherapy (radium seed implants), although I cannot say regarding the specific procedure you are gettings as I am unfamiliar with it.

Your best bet is to email the hospitals to ask about (1) availability of the treatment you need and 2) approximate cost. Try to include or attach a summary from your physician that makes clear exactly what treatment you have been recommended to have done in detail.

As both doctors have been favorably recommended, I suggest you go ahead and email both hospitals. Samitivej tends to be much better at answering emails than Bumrungrad. the latter may answer but without providing the information you requested, whereas I find that Samitivej usually does give pretty comprehensive reply when given enough information to go on. They tend to estimate costs on the high side I think to avoid problems later (obviously actual costs will vary from patient to patient depending on whether there are complications, whether an inpatient stay is required and if so how many nights, what kind of room etc).

For sure you would be needing to come into Bangkok so in terms of where you settle I would suggest it be within fairly easy travel to Bkk. That still leaves a fair range of options although obviously not Korat.

Good luck and if you don't mind, let us know if you finally do come, which hospital/doctor you select and how satisifed you are with the care as these questions come up fairly often

The following are western-trained urologists practicing at international standard hospitals. Both have treated other forum members for cancer of the prostate or bladder with favorable recommendations:

Dr Thanoo Choovichian at Samitivej (www.samitivej.co.th)

Dr. Viroj Chodchoy at Bumrungrad (www.bumrungrad.com)

Both hospitals I know offer a range of treatments including fairly new options such as bracytherapy (radium seed implants), although I cannot say regarding the specific procedure you are gettings as I am unfamiliar with it.

Your best bet is to email the hospitals to ask about (1) availability of the treatment you need and 2) approximate cost. Try to include or attach a summary from your physician that makes clear exactly what treatment you have been recommended to have done in detail.

As both doctors have been favorably recommended, I suggest you go ahead and email both hospitals. Samitivej tends to be much better at answering emails than Bumrungrad. the latter may answer but without providing the information you requested, whereas I find that Samitivej usually does give pretty comprehensive reply when given enough information to go on. They tend to estimate costs on the high side I think to avoid problems later (obviously actual costs will vary from patient to patient depending on whether there are complications, whether an inpatient stay is required and if so how many nights, what kind of room etc).

For sure you would be needing to come into Bangkok so in terms of where you settle I would suggest it be within fairly easy travel to Bkk. That still leaves a fair range of options although obviously not Korat.

Good luck and if you don't mind, let us know if you finally do come, which hospital/doctor you select and how satisifed you are with the care as these questions come up fairly often

Thanks Sheryl for web site contacts. Will stay intouch with Thaivisa.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your condition. It sounds painful and discomforting.

I was wondering if they had ever checked any of the growths for HPV DNA or RNA?

I know in women who suffer from cancers that are HPV linked, there are some HPV antiviral drugs that can be given at the same time as the treatment for the tumor, and it may produce a better result. You may want to speak with your oncologist or a virologist in the States before you leave in March.

I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but it's just a thought that occurred to me when I read your post. Good luck!