Star Alliance

sceadugenga

I'm taking a trip next month that involves several airlines.

I've been told that if they are members of the Star Alliance group, I can book my luggage right through from the departure point to the ultimate destination.

Anyone else done this? Do I need a "Star Alliance" card or membership?

I've been told that if they are members of the Star Alliance group, I can book my luggage right through from the departure point to the ultimate destination.

Generally yes, for example, if you were flying to NY on TG via Frankfurt with a change of plane to Lufthansa, they would check your bags through. But simple to call the airline and ask.

You don't need any special card to do this, it's a normal service of the co-operating airlines in the alliance, as is issuing your boarding-cards for the connecting-flights upon first check-in.

The OneWorld & SkyTeam alliances give similar assistance to one another.

However it might be worth getting a frequent-flyer card, usually obtainable on-line, in advance of your journey, if indeed you don't already have one for one of the 20-or-so Star Alliance members. This will help you accumulate more airmiles, or other privileges, eventually.

Yes, agree with above posts. I have been a SA member for years now and always have been able to check my bags through on alliance members flights. Theoretically, the same should be true if transferring to a non-alliance carrier. Your bag would be delivered to the other carrier at intermediate airports as well..but in practice this can increase the likelihood of lost or delayed baggage...because non-alliance carriers are generally located at a different terminal in the same hub airport. I fly TG out of BKK on my global travel and where they do not service my destination, I transfer to a SA carrier and (knock wood) it has always been painless.

:D Generally true....most airlines will let you know if your baggage cam be checked through to your final destination. However, one problem may be, if you enter a country at an international airport and continue on in that country to another domestic airport...your luggage may need to go through an international customs check when you enter the country...before it can be transferred to the domestic flight. One example of this that happened to me is entering the U.S. at Hawaii...then going on to a domestic flight into California. Since my entry into Hawaii was on an international flight, even though my luggage went on to my final destination, I had to have it checked through customs in Hawaii, then reloaded into the plane for my flight to California. This doesn't always happen, but it is possible. Another examle is Turkey. If you fly from BKK to Istambul, then go on to Ankara...Istambul is the first international point of entry into Turkey and the flight to Ankara is considered a domestic flight. So your bagage clearance must be in Istambul...you have to get your bags there in Istambul, have them checked, and then have it reloaded for Ankara. It has happened to me before.

:o