Best Media Player

Neeranam

I use Divx Player, the best for the rendering (?) of the movies, and 'eat' nearly everything and is the only, I think, to have rew and Ffw.

When I need to play Mkv files the best is Media Player Classic (MPC). When I need to play something with subtitles (I'm italian) the easiest is VLC Media Player.

All are for free, only Divx need a cheep upgrade to be fully operational.

For FLV (Flash video), I still like the GOM player.

Coincidentally, last Wednesday's Bangkok Post "Database" supplement carried some recommendations for media players:

"I have found the easiest way to solve all your video and sound problems is to download the KLM Codec Pack. It's free and you can find it at www.codecpackguide.com/klmcodec.htm. Grab the Mega Codec Pack and install it. Included is a Media Player Classic and Media Player Classic Home Cinema that between them will be able to play just everything you can download. The pack also includes a Real Player alternative."

my vote is for the klite pack

media player classic

real alternative

quicktime alternative

I went from it to VLC for a while ( and VLC portable ) but I was not happy with the sider bar for fast forward so I have gone back to klite and media player classic and will wait till VLC gets to ver1.0

oh , and winamp lite for your mp3's

Edited by stumonster

MediaMonkey for music. I use the Gold version for volume levelling - but the free version has pretty much everything else. Including plugins for iPod / iPhone / CD ripping etc..

Media Player Classic for movies (as part of K-lite codec package - latest download = Version 4.42 Full Mega Pack)

VLC for the occasional movie file that Media Player Classic gets hung up on.

The above choices after trialling: dBpoweramp - Foobar - GOM - J River Media Jukebox - Jet Audio - Quicktime - Quintessential Player - Quintessential Media Player - Real Player - Spider Media Player - Total Video Player - Tunebrite Platinum - Winamp 5.51.

Mp3gain, I have used it but it doesn't work that great, on my mp3 player, I need to adjust the volume frequently between different songs.

I suppose I could do it manually, using the mp3gain controls, what a chore that would be though.

I don't think that itunes does it very well either.

I've used MPC and KLite too for video, though I don't watch much video on my computer.

Cheers!

Maybe it's moe than you want but it plays everything I throw at it! from Video, to Music to Photo's.

Videos can be played back from avi's, mkv, iso's, DVD folders, zip files! etc etc

The Library mode is fantastic, downloads the video/movie/TV Show information by itself and has a great graphic display.

It's XBMC. You can download free versions for both Windows and Mac, and of course it's also available for the old Xbox.

Best Multimedia product there is (In my opinion)

Chris

I am having problems with Winamp and Window media. What are the alternatives to get?

Someone suggested one before to me but I can't find that thread for the life of me and can't remember which one it was.

A lot of people just use iTune's media player (along with the attendant Quick Time player), as most everyone has an iPod though you don't need one to use the player.

Does most everything, organizing, library, tags, streams, burns/rips, etc, very stable.

iTunes Medial Player download

Edited by cobra

VLC for Video, iTunes for mp3s. Just change the default rip format in iTunes to mp3 high quality, it's set to AAC by default.

Media Player Classic is also supposed to be good but I never tried b/c VLC was pretty much handling everything very well...

I use Quintessential Player. It's free and easy to use. MUCH better than Windows Media Player. Select a file or a folder. I listen to audio books and selecting the folder with a click of the mouse is very handy.