Movie "australia"

skippybangkok

I haven`t seen it yet....But people told me if your australian it`ll be boring...so i dont want to watch it :o

Maybe thats why you found it boring skippy......or is it just a shit movie in general??

Yeh, maybe made for an american audience with another Crocodile Dundee character ! I mean, when i go to the US these days, they all think we wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis :D . In fact, i think its a Crocodile Dundee repackaged.

It was just tooooo long, and, well - boaring. And the "mystical" way grandpa and kid Aborigine could communicate, was amazing. ( Put a bottle of grog in their hands, would look more realistic )

Best part of the picture was when they shot the Kangaroo :D ( ok, i am gonna get flamed for this comment :D )

Edited by skippybangkok

Yeh, maybe made for an american audience with another Crocodile Dundee character ! I mean, when i go to the US these days, they all think we wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis smile.gif

First I learn there is NO Santa Claus, and now I learn this is not true either! :o Thanks for the movie tip though.

It was made for an Australia Audience and they will need the American

audience to break even so you have it backwards.

Ever watched "Gone with the wind"?

Maybe it's not a Thaivisa kind of movie.

Snap !

Reminded me of a Gone with the Wind / Croc Dundee hybrid. ( the afore 2 mentioned better )

I enjoyed the movie, worth seeing just for the scenery, bit of a thinking mans movie, give it time it willbe appreciated on the same level as gone with the wind, wont appeal to australian youth simply because there is not a single holden donut or burnout in it , bit difficult for for americans to understand, in the whole 3 hours G W Bush did not declare war or invade a single country :o

It isn't the slightest bit difficult for ANYONE to understand. It is a modern movie trying to be an old fashioned big movie, and it doesn't fail entirely. Worth seeing for the scenery alone. You have to be well rested, bladder emptied and willing to suspend belief because they are trying to push your emotions, but in a very primitive way. Yes, it is on the long side but not really too long for the story they were telling. Sorry, it ain't Gone With The Wind.

BTW, calling this a "thinking man's movie" is very laughable!

Edited by Jingthing

Snap !

Reminded me of a Gone with the Wind / Croc Dundee hybrid. ( the afore 2 mentioned better )

Hi Skip, did you watch it at home on a DVD or at a cinema?

Snap !

Hi Skip, did you watch it at home on a DVD or at a cinema?

Cinema..... good to hear other views........

Guess i am the odd ball out :o

"Blood Diamond" or "there is something about Mary" more of something which tickles my fancy.

Yeh, maybe made for an american audience with another Crocodile Dundee character ! I mean, when i go to the US these days, they all think we wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis

Oi Skip, Real Aussie MEN, DO wrestle crocs on a daily basis.....where were you living? :o

Yeh, maybe made for an american audience with another Crocodile Dundee character ! I mean, when i go to the US these days, they all think we wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis

Oi Skip, Real Aussie MEN, DO wrestle crocs on a daily basis.....where were you living? :o

"Oi" sounds pretty British to me !

Nah, we southerners just defang Tipan Snakes and play with Black Widow spiders.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/entert...g-Tourism-.html

Can Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Australia’ Revive Flatlining Tourism?

November 20, 2008 04:15 PM

by Shannon Firth

Nearly 25 years ago, “Crocodile Dundee” brought heaps of tourists Down Under. Can a film critics call Australia’s “Gone with the Wind” bring them back?

Much Riding on ‘Australia’ Debut

“Australia,” the most expensive film ever made in its namesake country premiered Down Under Tuesday after much ado and some delay. Set against a WWII backdrop, the film stars Nicole Kidman as an English heir to a cattle ranch and Hugh Jackman as a boorish but handsome ranch hand. Australia’s tourism board has invested heavily in the project and is hoping, along with the movie’s cast and its director, Baz Luhrmann, that the film will trigger “The Crocodile Dundee Effect,” a term coined to describe the burst of tourism brought by the adventure film’s release in the 1980s. (“Australia” opens in U.S. theatres on Nov. 28, and in the UK on Dec. 26.)

Nick Bryant, a writer for the BBC, says that Australia’s tourism industry regards the film as a “feature-length advertisement.” The Independent reports that the industry invested $50 million for international advertising. The BBC also notes that Oscar-nominated director Luhrmann, known for his perfectionism, delayed the film’s release for several weeks and that, according to rumors, test audiences were disappointed “because it failed to end on an emotionally uplifting note.” However, Luhrmann told the Los Angeles Times that he wrote six different movie endings, filmed three, and ultimately chose one that surprised even him.

Last year, David Marshall, a spokesperson for the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) told The Independent, “Lavish and beautiful settings are among the most significant drivers of growth in tourism.” As evidence, Marshall cited “The Lord of the Rings,” which was a boon for tourism in New Zealand, and “Captain Corelli’s Mandolin” which unexpectedly drew travelers to Cephalonia, an island off Greece.

The Independent also noted media predictions that “Love in the Time of Cholera” and “No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency,” both released this year, would inspire travel to Cartagena, Colombia and Botswana, respectively.

With previews and ads, it was pushing 3hrs.

It's not bad, some very beautiful scenic shots.

It came across rather confused, probably because the script was written by a panel of writers/producers. I could almost hear them hashing it out:

--Let's make this a comedy.

--OK, but we'll dumb it down and throw in a kid to narrate the whole thing so we can sell it to the Disney crowd.

--Hey, we need romance too. And get Jackman jacked up 20kgs to make him even bigger than Wolverine so the ladies will get really juiced up.

--Throw in a few songs and we can reel in the musical fans too.

--Brilliant! While we're at it, why not do an Australian "Pearl Harbor." That movie was big.

--hel_l, boys, don't forget to put something in for the Oprah mob too.

So, there you have it.

Not too bad, but, hey, there have been many, many far worse movies out this year (at least, the ones that made it to Thailand anyway).

Yeah, go see it. Just in case, order a few drinks. I find that the more beer I drink the better the movie becomes.

I was a little bored, and I don't think it showed off the scenery as well as it could have done. But the movie was OK.

I was wondering about the accuracy, though.  The cows running for the cliffs seemed rather contrived and the unfettered ability of the bad guys to do whatever they wished without fear of the consequences were two such things.  THere were no Japanese soldiers landing in Daarwin duirng the raids, so I know that was not too accurate.

BUt I rather got caught up in the lexicon. "The wet,"  "the dry," a "grumpy," etc, all were wonderful uses of language.  I had recently read in another thread about the phrases "blackfellow" and "whitefellow," and maybe I had heard the others, but taken together, they were rather entertaining.  I am not sure just how many of the phrases were relaly in that common usuage at the time, so I would welcome somebody who knows posting here.

I haven`t seen it yet....But people told me if your australian it`ll be boring...so i dont want to watch it :o

Maybe thats why you found it boring skippy......or is it just a shit movie in general??

Yeh, maybe made for an american audience with another Crocodile Dundee character ! I mean, when i go to the US these days, they all think we wrestle crocodiles on a daily basis :D . In fact, i think its a Crocodile Dundee repackaged.

It was just tooooo long, and, well - boaring. And the "mystical" way grandpa and kid Aborigine could communicate, was amazing. ( Put a bottle of grog in their hands, would look more realistic )

Best part of the picture was when they shot the Kangaroo :D ( ok, i am gonna get flamed for this comment :D )

funny....my ozzie friend just said she heard it didn't go over to well in the states because they didn't get the underlying ozzie humor. guess maybe you didn't get it either.

Your right in your assesment that a few of there scenes in "Australia" were a little bit fanciful, but in comparison to the American standard of cinematics where one guy (a Sly stallone,tom cruise or chuck norris) takes on a countries entire army and comes out stunningly victorious without so much as a hair out of place, i thought the story line was kept reasonably humble.

The terms you metioned (actually pronounced as written "blackfella" and "whitefella") were the terms most originally used in the those days but over the years the aussie's discriminatory vernacular has coined many more names such as coorie or abbo and the much less savoury boong and coon, to name a few.

Like most of our planets "civilized" nations, our forefathers treated the indigenous natives in ways that could only be described as disgraceful.The forceful taking away of children from families was a practice of the not so distant past but first settlers in certain parts of remote Australia considered it somewhat a sport to hunt down and kill the males in their own environment.

Such other things you wont see in history books:

British settlers killing aboriginals in cold blood and taking their hand carved weapons and art (boomerangs, spears,woomeras ect) as souveniers of the kill.

When later asked of their wives what these mysterious artefacts were they simply stated that "they were found growing on peculiar looking trees"

Saw the movie and it was mildly entertaining, however to say it was made for an Australian audience is an absolute croc. Baz and the Australian Tourism Board made the movie for Hollywood and international audiences. No Australian would accept such a flimsy depiction of a country filled with so many wonderful landscapes and way more interesting stories.

Essentially it's a cross between Out Of Africa and a touch of Pearl Harbour, Baz Luhrmann should be ashamed of what he's done, for a once iconic Aussie director has become a Hollywood whore and now has sold his heritage for a few shiny pennies. Shame. Shame.

Your right in your assesment that a few of there scenes in "Australia" were a little bit fanciful, but in comparison to the American standard of cinematics where one guy (a Sly stallone,tom cruise or chuck norris) takes on a countries entire army and comes out stunningly victorious without so much as a hair out of place, i thought the story line was kept reasonably humble.

There is a difference, though. Australia purports to be the story of some people taken in the backdrop of history, while the big Hollywood action flicks are pure fantasy. I would give Mad Max full rein to let the imagination flow, and I took Pearl Harbor to task for being too free with history. These are two totally different types of movies.

My date was amazed and rather dismayed when she found out that removing children was a real practice, so in that sense the movie was informative. But my main beef with the movie was that it was a little boring. Not horrible, and not a complete waste of time, but it could have been better.

Even with high power stars such as Kidman and Jackman, I thought the best actor was Brandon Walters, who played Nullah. The kid's got a future, should he wish to continue in films.