Kawasaki Ninja 250 - New Thread, 12/2008

PeaceBlondie

Just picked up a new green Ninjette SE for the wife... my strategy for avoiding complaints when I buy a new bike. (still eyeing the Multistrada!)

She loves it, so I'm happy. (Maybe the designers are trying to appeal the the Thai market here in LOS, rather than we foreigners?)

The black nose looks a bit odd, but the blue accents don't look quite so bad in the flesh, but that's going to be a matter of opinion.

It's a fun ride though, I forgot how nimble it was to ride a small bike. Though at 190cm, it doesn't fit me that well.

The thing that surprised me is that it has a temp gauge, but no fuel gauge, just a warning light? Is this the same as previous models? First thing it makes me think is they have an overheating problem... which I think unlikely. Just seems like a very odd design decision.

Cheers.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just picked up a new green Ninjette SE for the wife... my strategy for avoiding complaints when I buy a new bike. (still eyeing the Multistrada!)

She loves it, so I'm happy.  (Maybe the designers are trying to appeal the the Thai market here in LOS, rather than we foreigners?)

The black nose looks a bit odd, but the blue accents don't look quite so bad in the flesh, but that's going to be a matter of opinion.

It's a fun ride though, I forgot how nimble it was to ride a small bike.  Though at 190cm, it doesn't fit me that well.

The thing that surprised me is that it has a temp gauge, but no fuel gauge, just a warning light?  Is this the same as previous models?  First thing it makes me think is they have an overheating problem... which I think unlikely.  Just seems like a very odd design decision.

Cheers.

I've said the same thing and was told "You know that it gets round about 320 km from a full tank, just use the trip gage".  I've ran the bike up and down the mountains, near redline for an hour plus (only way to keep up with the big 'uns) and it's never had a problem overheating.  On the other hand it's either remember to reset the trip meter or the gas gauge on my GPS...

I've said the same thing and was told "You know that it gets round about 320 km from a full tank, just use the trip gage".

Blimey. That's so unbelievable it's actually funny. :blink:

Really? 3 of my bikes don't have a fuel gauge. The gixxer, the Ninja and the KSR. I've never run out of fuel on any of them. Once you know the range before and after the fuel light comes on it's pretty simple as long as you can count. The range can vary by about 10kms per tank depending on how hard you're riding, but then digital gauges stay in the same place for 20 minutes and then drop by one bar (sometimes an 1/8th of a tank) in a split second so you're no better off.

I guess if you put half a tank of gas in at a time there might be some benefit but I hate stopping for gas so I never do that.

"...in another league... laugh.gif" sorry, dude, you're stretching the reality vortex there. 23.7 vs 25.5 HP. And any Aftermarket exhaust claims must include Dyno charts, else theyre basically BS. Without injection remapping or carb & intake expert tuning, the stock systems are so optimized that just adding an exhaust often reduces performance of the stock bike. With the full tuning boogie, you add maybe 10% power, lets say 3hp more cool.gif Thats just <deleted>-rippin power, dude.

Couldn't bear to read this whole thread to check, so no flames for posting this Comparison Article for the '11 models... which should be mostly applicable to the '12 models in this low-fi, low-budget market segment:

http://www.cycleworl...comparison_test

Cliff Notes Version: the Ninja's quicker and faster. The CBR more nimble in the canyons. Looks are completely subjective here.. these are not Milestone Designs, either of em. Just good, solid, budget sporties.

SPECIFICATIONS

Honda CBR250R vs. Kawasaki Ninja 250R respectively:

Dry weight 337 lb. vs. 356 lb.

Wheelbase 53.9 in. vs. 55.1 in.

0-60 mph 8.5 sec. vs. 7.7 sec.

1/4-mile 16.15 sec. @ 77.54 mph vs. 15.62 sec. @ 81.84 mph

Horsepower 23.7 hp @ 9900 rpm vs. 25.5 hp @ 10,100 rpm

Torque 12.7 ft.-lb. @ 7400 rpm vs. 13.5 ft.-lb. @ 9500 rpm

Edited by bbradsby

I've said the same thing and was told "You know that it gets round about 320 km from a full tank, just use the trip gage".

Blimey. That's so unbelievable it's actually funny. :blink:

Really? 3 of my bikes don't have a fuel gauge. The gixxer, the Ninja and the KSR. I've never run out of fuel on any of them. Once you know the range before and after the fuel light comes on it's pretty simple as long as you can count. The range can vary by about 10kms per tank depending on how hard you're riding, but then digital gauges stay in the same place for 20 minutes and then drop by one bar (sometimes an 1/8th of a tank) in a split second so you're no better off.

I guess if you put half a tank of gas in at a time there might be some benefit but I hate stopping for gas so I never do that.

I've never ran out of fuel on the Ninjette either; but there's been times when I've been worried as the idiot light was on and I was on some country backroad looking for a place that had petrol (usually a litre or two from the empty whiskey bottles is enough to get me to a real station or back home). Have you also noticed that it does flicker on pretty early if you're going up a hill? Don't know if mine is ultrasensitive or that's just the way they are.

I guess it's just the fact that it's not there. Instead of trusting the rider (even though most people are in fact idiots), they take it away and put something that has, from all accounts, never been an issue. I guess I could understand if the bike was being tracked where a temp gage may be more useful than a fuel gage, but how much more are these bikes street ridden?

The range can vary by about 10kms per tank depending on how hard you're riding, but then digital gauges stay in the same place for 20 minutes and then drop by one bar (sometimes an 1/8th of a tank) in a split second so you're no better off.

Digital?

I think you'll find the ninjette's dash is analog, so far more likely they'd have a little analog fuel gauge, if they added one.

The range can vary by about 10kms per tank depending on how hard you're riding, but then digital gauges stay in the same place for 20 minutes and then drop by one bar (sometimes an 1/8th of a tank) in a split second so you're no better off.

Digital?

I think you'll find the ninjette's dash is analog, so far more likely they'd have a little analog fuel gauge, if they added one.

IF they added one? The US Ninja has one - so no need to second guess Kawasaki on this one as it takes the place of the temp gauge on the Thai Ninja. And yes of course it's analog, where did I say it was digital? :blink:

Seeing as you clearly missed (twisted) my original point about digital gauges I'll dumb it down a bit and repeat it. On my (analog) Ninja with no fuel gauge I know within 10kms when the fuel light will come on. After the light comes on within 5 kms I know when it will run out of fuel. that's pretty dam_n accurate (again, assuming you can count). On a bike with a digital fuel gauge you might sit on any given number of "bars" for 20-30 kms. So unless you're counting the kms from the last time the bar dropped then at any point in time you have no more accurate idea of the range of the bike by just looking at the bars than if you'd set the clock to zero when you filled up - I would argue less so.

The ultimate aim of a fuel gauge is to calculate the range before you need to refuel. What's the point in knowing you have half a tank if you don't know how far half a tank will take you? Therefore, to know your range with a digital speedo you still need to know how far it goes on a single bar and then multiply that number by the number of bars left (you have to do it as soon as the bar drops to be accurate). So you're calculating it yourself anyway unless you have a "range" setting like most modern cars (most bikes don't), but even they don't accurately adjust to the driving/riding style.

Get it?

Digital?

IF they added one? The US Ninja has one - so no need to second guess Kawasaki on this one as it takes the place of the temp gauge on the Thai Ninja. And yes of course it's analog, where did I say it was digital? :blink:

Seeing as you clearly missed (twisted) my original point about digital gauges I'll dumb it down a bit and repeat it. On my (analog) Ninja with no fuel gauge I know within 10kms when the fuel light will come on. After the light comes on within 5 kms I know when it will run out of fuel. that's pretty dam_n accurate (again, assuming you can count). On a bike with a digital fuel gauge you might sit on any given number of "bars" for 20-30 kms. So unless you're counting the kms from the last time the bar dropped then at any point in time you have no more accurate idea of the range of the bike by just looking at the bars than if you'd set the clock to zero when you filled up - I would argue less so.

The ultimate aim of a fuel gauge is to calculate the range before you need to refuel. What's the point in knowing you have half a tank if you don't know how far half a tank will take you? Therefore, to know your range with a digital speedo you still need to know how far it goes on a single bar and then multiply that number by the number of bars left (you have to do it as soon as the bar drops to be accurate). So you're calculating it yourself anyway unless you have a "range" setting like most modern cars (most bikes don't), but even they don't accurately adjust to the driving/riding style.

Get it?

I understood what you meant even though it was worded in a way that was easily twistable. Having said that, have you ran out of fuel on the Ninja yet? I'm only asking because if you haven't, how can you know exactly how far you can go? As I stated, I've never ran out of fuel, yet, and to be honest sometimes I let the level drop lower than I should. Perhaps it's all this time in the Middle East, but I'm a strong believer in keeping the pump surrounded with as much cooling agent as possible. Right now I don't know exactly how much is left in at any point until the light comes on if I'm not paying attention to mileage. Furthermore, if you're really into the ride, and forgot to reset the trip meter, do you really want to be doing the math?

Digital?

Get it?

I understood what you meant even though it was worded in a way that was easily twistable. Having said that, have you ran out of fuel on the Ninja yet? I'm only asking because if you haven't, how can you know exactly how far you can go? As I stated, I've never ran out of fuel, yet, and to be honest sometimes I let the level drop lower than I should. Perhaps it's all this time in the Middle East, but I'm a strong believer in keeping the pump surrounded with as much cooling agent as possible. Right now I don't know exactly how much is left in at any point until the light comes on if I'm not paying attention to mileage. Furthermore, if you're really into the ride, and forgot to reset the trip meter, do you really want to be doing the math?

Nope never ran out. I know exactly how far it goes because I know the km/l and I also know how much is left when the light comes on (from the manual and also from filling up at that point a number of times and deducting that figure from the tank capacity). On a bike with a digital gauge you can't work it out any more accurately unless you know exactly how far through the bar you are. Pretty sure the CBR only has 8 bars and a range around 350kms. So being at the top of a bar and the bottom of a bar is a difference of around 40kms. So you start the bike up with 3 bars, how far can you go? You don't really know.

I never forget to reset the meter, it's habit just like putting on my seatbelt when I get in the car.

The need for all this talk of bikes with digital fuel gauges is quite odd, on the strictly analog ninjette.

Almost like someone's always thinking of another bike.

:lol: :lol: :lol: yeah - you never mention the Ninja on the CBR thread :lol:

So can you answer the question? When you get on your bike and see that there's 3 bars remaining. How far can you go exactly? And how did you calculate it?

Since you think the alternative method of calculating this is "so unbelievable it's actually funny", I'll be interested to hear how you calculate it using your fuel gauge :)

Who mentioned the CBR? :ermm:

Maybe keep your fascination with it in it's actual thread, as opposed to polluting the ninja 250 one. :rolleyes:

I mentioned it, because you own a CBR and I'd like to compare how you calculate how far you can go before running out of gas using the digital gauge on the CBR as opposed to the odometer on the Ninja, given that you believe the method on the Ninja is "so unbelievable it's actually funny" :rolleyes:

You get on your bike and turn the key. You see you have 3 out of 8 bars left. How far can you go before running out of gas and how did you calculate it? Are you going to answer? Or just avoid the question for a third time :rolleyes::lol:

She loves it, so I'm happy. (Maybe the designers are trying to appeal the the Thai market here in LOS, rather than we foreigners?)

It's a fun ride though, I forgot how nimble it was to ride a small bike. Though at 190cm, it doesn't fit me that well.

The thing that surprised me is that it has a temp gauge, but no fuel gauge, just a warning light? Is this the same as previous models? First thing it makes me think is they have an overheating problem... which I think unlikely. Just seems like a very odd design decision.

Cheers.

hello, where did you buy the new ninja 250 from? i went to real moto sports, the new place - and they have a 2/3 months waiting list for the new ninjas :(

Cheers.

hello, where did you buy the new ninja 250 from? i went to real moto sports, the new place - and they have a 2/3 months waiting list for the new ninjas :(

Got it from the dealer in Nakhon Sawan. He only had the one on the showroom floor, but not sure if he had any other stock. He had a 2011 model with only a few hundred km he tried to sell me.

I called around the Bkk dealers looking for a white one, but no luck, so went back and took the green one.

From previous discussions on waiting lists, it seems the provincial dealers have slower turnover, so have often had stock when the Bkk guys don't.

(seems my strategy worked though... she was nothing but smiles when we went to the Ducati dealer to test ride the Multistrada yesterday! Wow, what a bike... checking the finances and will probably place the order today! ...though the finances would have been a little easier if I hadn't just bought her the Ninjette!)

Cheers.

Anyone know if there's an aftermarket rear shock for the Ninjette that lowers it a touch?

Wife's only short, and she can handle it fine, it's just a shade too tall when she needs to push it back or negotiate uneven ground.

Also, either an ajustable clutch lever, or will the clutch lever from the Er6 fit the Ninjette?

She surprised me yesterday, we went up to Nakhon Sawan on the 650 Ninja to bring the Ninjette back... she's just tips 50kg in full riding gear (wringing wet)... the Ninjette cruised comfortably at 150kph... I had trouble keeping up with her at times! What have I created!:o

We're out on a group ride tomorrow, so we'll see how she goes on a day ride.:D

Anyone know if there's an aftermarket rear shock for the Ninjette that lowers it a touch?

Wife's only short, and she can handle it fine, it's just a shade too tall when she needs to push it back or negotiate uneven ground.

Also, either an ajustable clutch lever, or will the clutch lever from the Er6 fit the Ninjette?

She surprised me yesterday, we went up to Nakhon Sawan on the 650 Ninja to bring the Ninjette back... she's just tips 50kg in full riding gear (wringing wet)... the Ninjette cruised comfortably at 150kph... I had trouble keeping up with her at times! What have I created!:o

AFAIK there are only three aftermarket shocks for the Ninjette; the YSS, the Ohlins, and the RaceTech (listed cheapest to most expensive). However I don't think that any of them lower it and they're definitely sprung for someone a bit heavier than the flyweight that you've currently got riding the bike.. Roaring Toyz offers a set of lowering links that would do what you're looking for. Apparently the 04-06 ZX-10R shackles can be used also.

Aftermarket levers that I am aware of are Pazzo, CRG and ASV. Perhaps the cheapest would be to order a stock one and bend it back to the point that she wants? That way if you ever have to sell the bike you can swap the original one back on and not be out that much.

AFAIK there are only three aftermarket shocks for the Ninjette; the YSS, the Ohlins, and the RaceTech (listed cheapest to most expensive). However I don't think that any of them lower it and they're definitely sprung for someone a bit heavier than the flyweight that you've currently got riding the bike.. Roaring Toyz offers a set of lowering links that would do what you're looking for. Apparently the 04-06 ZX-10R shackles can be used also.

Aftermarket levers that I am aware of are Pazzo, CRG and ASV. Perhaps the cheapest would be to order a stock one and bend it back to the point that she wants? That way if you ever have to sell the bike you can swap the original one back on and not be out that much.

Awesome, thanks dave_boo, great info. Very much appreciated. I'll check out the options.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,Looking for a fender eliminator sold locally (Bangkok) for a 2010 Ninja 250, price/ pics / location appreciated.Thnx

Would you like us to install if for you too? ;)

Plenty in the classified section of the Ninja250Thailand forum. Sorry, not allowed to post links to other forums on ThaiVisa, but trust you can figure it out.

Ride On!

Tony

Would you like us to install if for you too? ;)

Plenty in the classified section of the Ninja250Thailand forum. Sorry, not allowed to post links to other forums on ThaiVisa, but trust you can figure it out.

Ride On!

Tony

Attempted to access that website several times last night, it's very fussy about the password to register, it keeps saying password must have letters&numbers, mmmm pretty much every website requires this. however, every combo i used got denied,go figure. Needless to say, I gave up; Tried again this morning site was down. Then 30 min later, was back up but still fussy about allowing me to register. I will try try it again later this evening. . .

Thnx by the way for the shop regarding the longer stem bolt, as it worked out perfect for the "GPR" stabilizer.

Jason

FWIW, the last ride I went on with the Tiger/Sachs club guys had me net 162 km/h max speed (GPS verified). This was crouched over me tank bag with a backpack on...and as Tony's always happy to remind me I am not exactly a small fellow.

FWIW, the last ride I went on with the Tiger/Sachs club guys had me net 162 km/h max speed (GPS verified). This was crouched over me tank bag with a backpack on...and as Tony's always happy to remind me I am not exactly a small fellow.

Blimey Dave that must be why ya chain fell off :rolleyes:

How's the new one.. I hope it's ok :D

Yeah, that first chain that gave out on the ride was a 'real good' (fake?) EK chain. This OOh chain held up, although it did get loose (to be expected for a new chain ridden ~600 km). Actually bigbikebkk and mbox chains went loose on the way back to the houses so I didn't feel too badly.

I've got an 'x-ring' chain lined up along with some new sprockets. Still trying to figure out some good chain lube to use as the stuff I bought in Big-C was barely any better than WD-40...

Yeah, that first chain that gave out on the ride was a 'real good' (fake?) EK chain. This OOh chain held up, although it did get loose (to be expected for a new chain ridden ~600 km). Actually bigbikebkk and mbox chains went loose on the way back to the houses so I didn't feel too badly.

I've got an 'x-ring' chain lined up along with some new sprockets. Still trying to figure out some good chain lube to use as the stuff I bought in Big-C was barely any better than WD-40...

My chain went loose? Really? That's news to me...

I suspect your EK chain was fake or of very low quality, but also running the new chain with such old sprockets likely accelerated the problem since the pitch or the worn sprockets didn't match the pitch of the new chain.

If you can't find a good brand name chain lube out there in the sticks just use gear oil. Not fancy and flings a bit more than name brand lubes, but it's cheap and works just fine.

Ride On!

Tony

But kinda odd that Grant, who's even bigger than you, could still pass you with relative ease on his Ninjette. He's got the Akra exhaust and you've got the powercommander. I think you both have stock gearing and air filters? I think I mentioned to you before that a powercommander on an otherwise stock bike doesn't make much sense. Lose that stock exhaust and load the proper map on your PCV and you should be able to keep up with Grant's Ninjette.