Working From Thailand

Hi all,

I'm considering splitting my year between the UK and Thailand.

One of the reasons I can do this is that the work I do is largely carried out via phone and internet.

Leaving aside visa issues at the moment, the biggest obstacle I see is the cost of inbound communication - i.e. my customrs having to phone Thailand.

I probably have 50-60 calls a day split evenly between inbound and outbound and I wanted to know what people think are the options available. I want to know if there are options available that leave my customers having to pay no more than a normal UK to UK call and also without it costing me the earth.

It wont be for some time yet, but I want to start doing the groundwork now, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Skype-out for your outgoing calls, for incoming calls try Skype-in, get a UK number that directs to your Skype account. Both work well if you have a half decent internet connection.

I imagine all the 'professional' VOIP providers have a similar product.

Edited by Crossy

Hi all,

I'm considering splitting my year between the UK and Thailand.

One of the reasons I can do this is that the work I do is largely carried out via phone and internet.

Leaving aside visa issues at the moment, the biggest obstacle I see is the cost of inbound communication - i.e. my customrs having to phone Thailand.

I probably have 50-60 calls a day split evenly between inbound and outbound and I wanted to know what people think are the options available. I want to know if there are options available that leave my customers having to pay no more than a normal UK to UK call and also without it costing me the earth.

It wont be for some time yet, but I want to start doing the groundwork now, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Get a 1-800 number. That's what serious companies do.

You pay.

Thanks for the replies.

What's the likely costs of the 1-800 number?

You say serious companies - I'm not IBM, just one guy with a decent income, but not enough to spend £1,000's on comm's.

The nature of the work means I just need a laptop and a phone, so looking to take advantage of 21st century technology to improve my lifestyle.

Thanks for the replies.

The nature of the work means I just need a laptop and a phone, so looking to take advantage of 21st century technology to improve my lifestyle.

Most of VoIP systems would fit your needs... I use some of them every day, and I would say skype is not in my top-list.

But the trouble is then getting a good internet connection.... and that is another trouble!!! :o

Really we need some more information. However, I'll make some comments and assumptions.

I guess you are now using a UK based landline and / or mobile phone. Redirecing your existing landline to a Thai number at reasonable cost is unlikely I think as you will probably be on some sort of contract. However, I did see when in the UK some telephone companies who would allow international calls on a fixed cost basis per month, presumably using VOIP. You may be able to move your landline to one of these companies if they will forward calls on this fixed rate plan. I do not know any details unfortunately.

You can have a UK or USA type number and have it redirected to any line anywhere for a fee using VOIP. I guess you'll have to change your number though. But perhaps not ?

One of the biggest considerations you have to think about is the time difference between Thailand and the UK. It is bad enough for customers based in the UK but if you have customers in the USA and they call you UK time, then they will be 12 hours to 15 hours (or so, have to check) behind Thai time. That can be a major consideration.

Think about your lifestyle. Presumably you devote some time each day to work. That is easier said than done in Thailand and requires much more discipline. Add in the time differences and ......

Skye is one option for sure. Perhaps people who know better providers would actually list them rather than just saying they know people better than Skype.

I'd also look at those calling card and VOIP people in the UK. Perhaps they have a product ?

Finally now off the top of my head, you know the companies like Telediscount who require you dial a prefix before the country number, then you can set phone memories to do that but new customers will not be bothered and it would identify you as being in Thailand to your customers.

For professionalism, you will probably need a UK number. You will also have to consider whether your customers call you on your mobile as well because that would need additional consideration. Have a look at Carphonewarehouse as they have SIM cards which you plug in a UK phone and it costs about 10p or thereabouts a minute to call Thai mobiles. There must be a solution within their technology.

Please post up as you go along and what solutions you find for the benefit of others.

You could get a redirected number which can also be called a "virtual uk number" such as an 070 mobile number.

The benefit to you is that your client doesn't know you're abroad (local ringtone) and picks up the tab. Perfect solution for any business or individual who wants a UK presence with no cost.

However, this could be an issue when your clients get their bill! :o

There might be a cheaper way of doing it (for them) with the cost split between caller/receiver.

Will be interested if you find out.. :D

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I use a company that provides me with a UK national call rate (0870) number that is automatically redirected to my Thai mobile phone at no additional cost to myself or the caller. works fine, no set-up or running costs at all to me.

Simon

I use a company that provides me with a UK national call rate (0870) number that is automatically redirected to my Thai mobile phone at no additional cost to myself or the caller. works fine, no set-up or running costs at all to me.

Simon

Have you got a link or can you PM me that Simon?

RAZZ