Wireless Broadband Modem For Descktop Pc

aaaaaa

any info about modem for ADSL internet for descktop PC ?

so far I have seen only routers for wireless sharing with laprops and/ or LAN ... have read many news in media as well as articles here about wireless internet for hotels and offices... but so far - never about desctops.

is there any company in Bangkok which provides affordable wireless broadband connection for personal use ?

need to get this info to compare the options... the thing is - constant moving makes it not practical to get normal ADSL connection. perhaps if there is wireless solution - it can be an answer?

although I won't install sattellite dish or something like that...

regards

A

Such a thing does indeed exist, but not in Thailand (at least, not as far as I'm aware). Just for interest, there is one company offering 1MB wireless broadband in Sydney, but I think they took advantage of an old radio network that had been sitting around gathering dust, not likely to happen here anytime soon.

Otherwise, the closest thing you'll get in Thailand is DTAC's EDGE network (confined to Bangkok), which doesn't deserve the name broadband. Still, if you need mobility its not bad.

Someone told me that Hutch has a mobile internet service that's a bit faster again, but its using a different kind of technology (I think they said CDMA?). Anyway, you need a compatible phone and I think the coverage is pretty limited. I haven't really looked into it, so this is all hearsay...

Edited by Crushdepth

Just get a wireless/router combination box as basestation, connect it to the phone line, and get a USB Wireless Modem for the Desktop.

Sunny

well, yeah - that much I know myself. BUT... the whole point is in phone line... if there is now phone line ? or if we changfe phone line along with residence - it is not practical to get installed ADSL every time for new line. and even to get new phone line every time...

The cdma system used by Hutch is way faster compared to GPRS (effective speeds around 90kbps out of a theoretical maximum of 140kbps)

GPRS will give you between 5 and 30kbps at best.

Don't know about about dtac's edge system...

Hutch available in Bkk, Eastern Seaboard and some other areas, but apart from Bkk the coverage is kind of spotty.

Just get a wireless/router combination box as basestation, connect it to the phone line, and get a USB Wireless Modem for the Desktop.

Sunny

This you know. About the phone line, if you already have a phone line, fine. If not, also fine. When you subscribe to ADSL, the line is changed, but you have to subscibe in order to get an ADSL line.

I looked into the Hutch Sierra Aircard earlier this year. I contacted the distributor in Bangkok at logcorp.com in mid-May and posted the following on another board.

"Got a reply from Dao re the Hutch service. Very discouraging

She says the Sierra card only works on some desktops. Most of the time it will have a hardware and system resources conflict.

They do have an adaptor but it has to be configured correctly and they no longer have installation & configuration service available given how time intensive it can be. And after all that it may not (i.e. very likely won't??) work. Price for the adapter is 4900 baht + the price of the Aircard - which is around 18-20K baht.

She suggests buying a laptop."

I see that www.logcorp.com is now "Closed for maintenance".

Someone also stated they were requiring a work permit for Hutch service but I didn't bother to confirm that as I finally was able to get a land line.

-redwood

• 4 weeks later...

here is what I've found out in IT centre on the top floor of Pantip plaza: they do seel 2-3 kinds of cards PCMCI size, which can be used for the slot on laptop, or can be inserted into adapter, which they also sell, wich in turn can be plugged in desktop PC. all together it would be about 10K Baht; with on eof these cards is attached a package for Hutch. BUT - they explained to me that I have to fill those forms and go with them to Hutch. somehwere not far - on Pethcaburi Rd too. and then hutch is gonna to arrange an account for this kind of GSM connection.

yeah - I think as I remember that is what someone here named it - Sierra aircard....

so far I wasn't able to get aby feedbacks from anyone who IS using such wireless option from Hutch. therefore I am still deciding on it... because those guys in IT Pantip althought friednly and polite - they can't possibly provide such an information, they are simply selling their product. and I guess the only people who can tell about this - are those in Hutch, but their opinion won't be objective I guess.

You can buy a Wireless card (PCI) to plug in your desk top for 2-3000 baht.

In Bangkok you might find a local company which is not very security conscious and then you will have a high speed internet connection for free.

Being a good citizen you would not use it, of course. :o

Australia is the only place I have come across where there is a generally availabe

wireless service over a large area.

Having a desktop instead of a laptop doesn't change anything except that you would need a PCI card to cardbus adapter in order to use a cardbus modem. It's not clear to me that this is worth it unless you already have the modem. Getting a cell phone capable of using the data network and connecting it by USB, bluetooth, or infrared is probably cheaper and easier. I don't know anything about Hutch, but any typical GSM GPRS phone would allow you to try out GPRS service from either AIS or DTAC. I think your experience will depend a lot on where you are located.

I have seen many statements on this board in favor of DTAC, but my own experience using a DTAC happy-dprompt prepaid card and later an AIS post-paid account was that AIS GPRS was much more consistent and speedy for me in a 10th floor unit in Bangkoknoi. I had to use this setup for nearly 4 months until we finally managed to get a True ADSL line (this was 4 months of continuous bureaucratic ###### to get a connection at the central office, not procrastination on my part). It is rare that our True service gets as bad as our typical GPRS speed, but I did have to fall back on it last month when our True service completely dropped (no modem carrier) for a few days.

I understand your question as being about how to get Internet service without a wired phone line of any sort. Otherwise, I would point out that a 56K modem and dial-up ISP will be better than GPRS. It is alluring to think of an ISP connection that goes with you when you move without setup hassle. However, I hope we move soon, and I will try just as hard to get ADSL at our next address, despite how trying it was to subscribe the first time... I would never willingly stay with just GPRS service now, and I don't think we will be moving somewhere within range of DTAC EDGE service.

Of course, the other trick is to find a neighbor who already has ADSL and convince them to upgrade to a good bitrate and then install an 802.11 base station with a WEP key that you accidentally discover while carelessly leaving small amounts of cash in his house. :o If they are not right next door, you both might need to accidentally connect directional antennae to your routers and point them at each other. :D

Edited by autonomous_unit