Thaksin Strains Thailand's Friendship With U.s.

george

Crackdown by Premier Strains Thailand's Friendship With U.S.

BANGKOK: -- A little over a year ago, as President Bush prepared to make a state visit to Thailand, he declared that the country's prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, was a "very strong leader and a very capable leader." Bush said he admired Thaksin because he is "not afraid to make tough decisions" and "stands his ground in the face of criticism."

Thaksin, for his part, earlier this month called Bush a "good friend," noting that "we're both Texas cowboys." During Bush's October 2003 visit, Bush rewarded Thaksin for his assistance in the war against Iraq by granting Thailand the coveted status of a "major non-NATO ally."

Now this relationship is being tested, in ways that some U.S. officials believe mirror the increasingly troubled partnership between Bush and Russian President Vladimir Putin. As with Putin, actions taken by Thaksin conflict with Bush's pledge to promote democracy and freedom around the world. And Thaksin's response to Muslim insurgency in southern Thailand has led to a nasty spat with Thailand's neighbors.

Thailand has long been considered a model of democracy and human rights in Southeast Asia. But Thaksin, a telecommunications billionaire who took office in 2001 and is running for reelection in February, in the past year has accelerated a campaign to tighten control over the media, attack human rights and democracy organizations, and oust critics in the government. Under Thaksin, for instance, there has been an increase in criminal defamation cases against the press and civil society groups, according to Article 19, a British free-speech group.

Thaksin's government has been widely criticized for a campaign against drug dealers in 2003 that left 3,000 dead, many through extrajudicial killings. The U.S. State Department's annual human rights report this year said the government's human rights record had "worsened with regard to extrajudicial killings and arbitrary arrests." The report concluded that a "climate of impunity" had been created through the government's failure to thoroughly investigate the deaths.

In October, a crackdown by the Thai army on Muslim protesters in a southern province left at least 85 people dead. An investigative report by the Thai Senate's foreign relations committee said recently that the Thai army had arrested nearly 1,300 protesters, tying their hands behind their backs and forcing them to lie in piles five-deep in army trucks. The report said 78 people, many of whom were fasting because of the Muslim holiday of Ramadan -- suffocated as they were carried in the trucks for six hours. People who complained of the confining conditions were severely beaten with rifle butts, the report said.

Thaksin, whose family is reported to have business interests in Burma, also has become increasingly close to the military regime there, to the point of justifying the continued detention of Nobel Peace laureate Aung San Suu Kyi. The 59-year-old democracy activist has already spent nine years in detention since 1989. Her party won a landslide election in 1990 that the military leadership has refused to accept.

Thaksin promised Bush in a private phone call in March that Suu Kyi would be released in May -- and instead the regime has further isolated her. Earlier this month, a few days after the White House issued a statement decrying the continued detention of Suu Kyi, Thaksin returned from a visit to Burma and said the military junta has reasonable and convincing reasons for continuing to keep her under arrest.

Senate Majority Whip Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said in a statement that Thaksin's comment on Suu Kyi was "both reckless and dangerous, and calls into question his democratic credentials."

U.S. officials acknowledge that Thaksin's government has prompted concerns, but they said that overall Thailand remains a good ally of the United States. A senior State Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitive diplomacy, said Thaksin's remark on Suu Kyi was a "terrible comment," that Thailand has not handled the situation in the Muslim south "terribly well" because of an "appalling lack of cultural understanding" and that the extrajudicial killings of drug dealers were a "serious problem."

But, the official said, the bottom line is that Thailand has supported the invasion of Iraq, including providing troops for humanitarian tasks, and has been helpful in the war on terrorism.

"We've tried to be clear with Thailand on areas that are important to us, with respect to democracy and the rule of law, and especially Burma," said another senior administration official.

During a regional economic summit attended by Bush in 2003, Thaksin went to great lengths to position himself as Southeast Asia's dominant statesman. Bangkok was scrubbed clean as 10,000 homeless people were shipped to army camps and 600 Cambodian beggars were rounded up and shipped home.

But Thaksin has riled his neighbors with some of his comments. He said Malaysia and Indonesia had a hand in Thailand's troubles in the Muslim south, prompting fierce complaints, especially from Malaysia, which borders Thailand. "We do not see an outside hand in this," the State Department official pointedly said, adding that the United States has "no information" to back up Thaksin's claims. "If Thaksin has that information, he should share it with the Malaysian government."

Meanwhile, as the rest of Southeast Asia has increasingly distanced itself from Burma, Thaksin has sought an ever closer embrace.

Speaking on his weekly radio broadcast after a visit to Rangoon, Thaksin said Burma's military leaders had said political instability caused by Suu Kyi's release could split the country along ethnic lines.

Burma, also known as Myanmar, "will be torn apart into many different countries," Thaksin quoted the senior military leader, Gen. Than Shwe, as saying. "The country will be a mess -- nothing will be left."

"These are the reasons they gave [for holding Suu Kyi], which are reasonable enough and convincing," Thaksin told the radio program.

His comments have prompted concern among administration officials and lawmakers who think his policy of engagement with Burma has failed. "The regime has stiffed him," said a senior U.S. official.

David I. Steinberg, head of Asian studies at Georgetown University, called Thaksin's comments on Suu Kyi "really bad" and said his voicing them "endears him to no one."

The State Department official said the administration has raised questions with Thai officials about Thaksin's remarks. The problem, the official said, is that "our normal interlocutors in the foreign ministry are scratching their heads like we are, so it's kind of difficult to get what he had in mind when he says things like that."

--Washington Post 2004-12-25

The State Department official said the administration has raised questions with Thai officials about Thaksin's remarks. The problem, the official said, is that "our normal interlocutors in the foreign ministry are scratching their heads like we are, so it's kind of difficult to get what he had in mind when he says things like that."

Methinks the folks at State are a little slow on the uptake. Mr Big has been making head-scratching statements for about as long as he has been in the public eye. :o

Really, who cares about the US these days. They are on a introverted trip down-hill, and have lost the position to Eurpoe and China.

Sure they spend more on the military than nearly the rest of the world - really a sign of paranoia?

Its like looking at England 80 years ago and now. Sure England was the "superpower" but that was then and this is now.......

I wonder if any opposition leaders in Thailand are considered a threat by Mr. Moonface as he thinks Suu Kyi is ... Would he dare put people behind bars for the same reason ?

There has to be a reason why Thaksin likes a Nobel Peace Laureate to stay behind bars. There has to be some money in it for him along with the present military regime in Myanmar.

The reason given that the country would be torn apart is... ahum... more like... Thaksin would not be in the spotlight anymore with Suu Kyi liberated and in power.

I guess his "schoolgirl (Thaksin) meets rock star (Bush) attitude" did not help at the summit in Chile. Bush (not that he's much smarter) saw what a simp Thaksin really is :o

There are a lot of interrelated posts here having to do with terrorism, Thanskin's p policies (Burma, Trade, Domestic Policy, US Relations), the new election, the King's message for reconciliation, etc.

Being an American, and a lover of Thailand, I worry about the proper management of US-Thai relations by the US Govt. As the terror crisis escaltes in Thailand in 2005 the US Government had better start to act now to wage a very well thought out PR campaign (via public media and behind the scenes relations with Thaksin's govt) to prevent a major backlash against US policy amongst the general Thai populace. Do any of you see any indication of such a PR campaign? I don't.

THe Bush administration has already made one major blunder in the way he handled global public opinion in the rush to invade Iraq. I hope he not make the same mistake in SE Asia and more specifically with Thailand and its neighbors. Influencing public opinion is something that takes time and forethought.

As a top priority, getting the US-Thailand FTA worked out and then springing the news at just the right time would be a good forethought. In addition, US Govt should have a plan ready to go that shows moral and economic support for Thailand at the moment the tourism-related economy tanks as a result of terrorist activity.

Conversely, I think Thailand needs to recognize it needs the US too. This may mean that personal/regional policies (e.g. Thaksin's policy towards Burma) needs to be adjusted to keep the US close. Like it or not, Thaksin needs to recognize that the US Govt in power sees the world in very black and white terms. The choice for full US support should be an easy one.

This is a hugely complex subject... all about World Economy. I thought the Bush administration did a fantastic job in handling global public opinion over Iraq. They convinced me it was a good move... regardless of Weapons of Mass Destruction... or not. The place looks a real mess now... but so was Germany after WW11 and also Japan... It will take time. Anybody who expected it to sort itself out in a few months was completely unrealistic in their thinking.

It will not be Thaksin straining friendships with the USA... it will be the other way around. Maybe and I say maybe, the USA wants Thaksin out. If that is so they will 'influence' the election by February in any way they can, politically or financially.

Watch for the moves... it is a Chess Game... Thailand being a pawn.

Even if they succeed to "influence" the election I doubt if it will have the desired result. With all his money Thaksin will still be the real power behind the scenes unless the US can also "influence" to bankrupt his business empire.

Burma and Thailand have a long and ragged history in diplomacy, and, I should think, that with all the problems Thailand has in the south, including the possible deterioration of relationships with Malaysia, niether PM Thaksin nor any other member of his administration feel they can afford to apply any pressure on the Burmese. Talk sweet and keep them sweet, at least for now. :o

"who cares about the US these days. They are on a introverted trip down-hill, and have lost the position to Eurpoe and China."

Very well thought out. Dismiss nearly 1/3 of the world GDP with a "who cares" attitude?

Just because you wish it doesn't make it so.

As to the subject at hand:

The only single overriding characteristic of Mr T is greed for both money and power. I expect he'll need that new fancy jet to haul back all his blood money from Burma soon. That is the only logical explanation for him supporting a corrupt military junta that produces most of the yabba addicting his own citizens.

There's no doubt in my mind that Mr T will sell his soul and the lives of his people for more of both.

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

What'd I say! Bush sits at his ranch chasing cattle the world opinion is already becoming critical of US responsiveness to the Tsunami crisis in Asia. IMHO, failure to see the magnitude of a situation is once again a Bush administration flaw. Come on guys ... manage the PR. Everyone is watching you!

Meanwhile, Clinton is in Europe making public commentary about the tragedy.

:o 4 more years of Bush.

What'd I say!  Bush sits at his ranch chasing cattle the world opinion is already becoming critical of US responsiveness to the Tsunami crisis in Asia.  IMHO, failure to see the magnitude of a situation is once again a Bush administration flaw.  Come on guys ... manage the PR.  Everyone is watching you!

Meanwhile, Clinton is in Europe making public commentary about the tragedy. 

:o 4 more years of Bush.

I think you know it does not matter if the President is in the oval office, Camp David, Crawford, TX, Airforce One or anywhere else, he can communicate with with the world. There is a big difference authorizing aid and getting allies to respond to this tragic event than commenting about it in Europe. Every leader in the world, present and past can comment on the tragedy in Asia, only a dozen or countries so will end up sending significant aid. Hopefully the US will lead the pack, both in total amount given and number of people helping the effected countries.

Pattayaguy1999 and Ithailian,

I think the USA will do just enough in this crisis to keep world opinion just as it was before the disaster. The USDollar is down and the USA wants to keep it that way and on the decline. This has nothing at all to do with Bush not seeing the magnitude of the situation... it has to do with the world economy. Sad, but true, the world revolves aroung money and money is power.

Dood. :o Are you high?

American aid response will have very little, if anything, to do with how the Fed manages the value of the US dollar vis-a-vis the SE Asian currencies. Are you familiar with the role of the Federal Reserve?

The US/Bush administration response will have much more to do with domestic politics, the horrible US budget deficit, and the use of aid to assist in bolstering the aims US foreign policy. That said, as the magnitude of this tragedy unfolds, even those objectives will become secondary as public demand for goodwill will drive legistation and funding through congress.

Getting back on topic ... How do you say "Dude, are you high" in Thai? :D

Edited by Ithailian

It will not be Thaksin straining friendships with the USA... it will be the other way around. Maybe and I say maybe, the USA wants Thaksin out. ..............

Watch for the moves... it is a Chess Game... Thailand being a pawn.

true !

USA seemed to be always concerned about leaders with storng position, especially those who doesn't hesitate to have their own opinions. as was with Mahathir previously.

and since on APEC Singapore's PM has practically named Thaksin the next leader in Asia - naturally Thaksin inherites the label of a guy who "strains" relations with USA...

the fact is: Thailand was always smart enough to keep side of those who are strongest and that's how it has survived as an independent country and never been colonised, while being able to adopt whatever possible postivie things from the west. BUT just enough so that to be on the winning side. it doesn't mean though they close their eyes on and forget/ forgive everything else what wrong USA did and does... this is how I've heard form thai people themselves - ordinary, not some high placed officials !

I recall even next day after 9/11 in Penang, Malaysia, I've heard from Chinese there - not even muslims who are usually blamed for anti-americanism! - the opinions that such events happen because of american's global behaviour; and that if US doesn't change their style - such things would happen.

perhaps the latest disaster events would help the world to revise their understanding of inter-national relations? hopefully!