The Most Annoying Behaviour On Thai Roads

12DrinkMore

oh I forgot one annoying factor on the roads:

foreigners riding motorbikes with NO helmet, please dont copy the locals, a helmet saves lifes. The ignorance on thai roads here is astounding. From my observations here in Rayong its mostly older farang guys too, why dont they put a helmet on? Its like 400b to save your brains...

If it needs saying again - a 400 baht helmet is not going to "save your brains". At best, it will a] save you from getting a BiB ticket and b] provide a bit of protection against minor injury if you get a minor "knock". It's highly unlikely to prevent concussion and/or severe brain damage from a major impact of your skull with any hard object e.g. vehicle or the road surface.

Add a zero to it and then double that figure to have a chance of starting to find helmets that might have any prospect of "saving your brains". Otherwise, what you'll be wearing is hardly even on a par with a construction site helmet. In general, I hate and avoid paying extra for just a name, but - in this case - a genuine Shoei or other comparable brand gives you the kind of performance/quality assurance that you need. Granted that we're in the land of knock-off - so it's not a simple matter to ensure you're getting the real thing........ but at least try.

Edited by Steve2UK

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cheap Thai helmet can damage your head severely, use a DOT at least when you first use one.

I always use my helmet whatever I ride, it is really dumb not to. At the racetrack Allan proved that even on a Fino you can get hurt, even though he used Helmet, Boots and armored (CE) mesh jacket he was pretty bruised up in 50 km/h. That proves the point, don't be an idiot without gear on any motorized bike. It is a cheap investment vs a life as a vegetable.

What is really annoying is the tourists renting big bikes with no license, driving without anything but shorts and flipflops around in Pattaya under influence. They're begging to get hurt. Or the tourists with there entire family on a scooter... Don't have to copy bad ideas from other cultures...

Most annoying car brand in general on the roads are Isuzu seems like all the people with zero driving ability is attracted to that brand of some strange reason. Else all the ones who find it impossible to follow the general road regulation, wrong side of the road etc...

Cheers Bard

What I particularly HATE is the brain dead, self-centred motorcyclists who ride along merrily on the small strip that runs parallel to the road that the "peasants" use (footpath in case you hadn't guessed). I resist the temptation to push them all over as they speed by.
Strangely enough, under Thai law, motorcycles are allowed on the footpaths. :o

If so, it's utter madness. these kinds of brain dead laws will continue to keep Thailand in the dark ages.

Yep and i always wear a helmet on a bike even if i'm just nipping down the shops. i have seen to many accidents and a few victims not to. as Bard said i was doing no more than 50kmh when i offed, it was a lowside as well but my head hit the ground with a bang (enough to nock the breathe guard out of it). with no armour or helmet i am sure i would be in hospital now (been there done that, didn't like it).

Steve2uk. i agree and disagree. IF you can afford a brand name/western helmet then go for it. BUT if not there are reasonable helmets available here from SNELL (open/full face) and REAL (open/full face) the Snell uses the same shell as an Index but better lining and the Real is comparable to budget helmets in the real world.

But the REAL is no good for oval heads (me) so i got a HJC AC12 from the states for $139 landed. lovely helmet. but it was an Index i was wearing at the track cos the HJC hadn't arrived.

Allan

Most annoying car brand in general on the roads are Isuzu seems like all the people with zero driving ability is attracted to that brand of some strange reason.

Cheers Bard

Hi :o

Sorry, i have to VERY strongly disagree with you here. That brand still has to be "Toyota" and it can be narrowed down to two particular models:

1) Camry. Old, rich women drive those, always on the phone, and think they own the road. Haven't found where the indicators are and the place on the steering wheel where the "horn" button is is usually well worn down.

2) Fortuner. Everybody and their brother drives those, at speeds that would make an F1-driver jealous and with ZERO respect to ANYthing else on the road. I've had several near-accidents while up north and ALL of them caused or provoked by Bangkok-registered Fortuners. And yes, Expats behave just like Thais behind the wheel of one of those.

I myself have gotten my driving licenses for moped, limited power motorbike, unrestricted motorbike and car in Germany where it takes a proper theoretical as well as practical education (includes overland, high-speed, city and night driving, parking in various situations and starting up a steep slope) and an amount equal to 40,000 to 50,000 Baht to get a license, which is "under evaluation" for the first two years (the smallest traffic violation and it's taken away, requiring expensive re-schooling! Happened to me... speeding!) and i also got Thai licenses for both car and motorbike.

And i drive an Isuzu.

Best regards....

Thanh

What I particularly HATE is the brain dead, self-centred motorcyclists who ride along merrily on the small strip that runs parallel to the road that the "peasants" use (footpath in case you hadn't guessed). I resist the temptation to push them all over as they speed by.
Strangely enough, under Thai law, motorcycles are allowed on the footpaths.  :o

I Know!!!! I missed that one the first time I took the written test!!!!!

Haha so you drive a slug, well they don't move very fast, are doing redlight starts at an unbelievable slow pace, manage to slow it down so only 3 cars manage to get over. They normally drive slow side by side with the car they supposed to pass in the passing lane, wrong side of the road and so on. I HATE that, close to unbearable.

I live in the outskirts where they are extremely good at screwing up the entire traffic by managing to produce a traffic jam on highways, screw up redlights drive on the wrong side of the road etc. SUV's are well known to disrespect other vehicles worldwide, so nothing new there. Camry's hmm not much of a prob where I live though.

Cheers Bard

I'm driving a slug? Nah, i'm driving a still-red-plated D-Max Space Cab "Platinum" 3.0 automatic :o Commonrail-Turbo-Intercooler, boy... that thing got HORSES. On the way to Chiang Mai, minus two pee breaks, i did the speed limit (120 km/h) all the way and same on the way back. In Bangkok i "go with the flow" and certainly overtake when something slow is blocking me and there is space to overtake safely. And accelerating to overtake is no issue even at 120 km/h already - tried that on Bangna-Trat, there is ample power when the right foot goes "heavy". Certainly no "slug".

Only if there's an idiot in a Fortuner behind me trying to polish my rear bumper and getting a tennis arm on his high-beam-signals, i go extra slow and make sure he won't pass me (by staying with the slow car in the other lane).

The way you describe people driving in your area has nothing to do with Isuzus, just with the people in that area :D Like in Chiang Mai, nobody goes faster than 40-50 km/h anywhere, '84 Toyotas as well as '08 S-Classes.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Steve2uk. i agree and disagree. IF you can afford a brand name/western helmet then go for it. BUT if not there are reasonable helmets available here from SNELL (open/full face) and REAL (open/full face) the Snell uses the same shell as an Index but better lining and the Real is comparable to budget helmets in the real world.

But the REAL is no good for oval heads (me) so i got a HJC AC12 from the states for $139 landed. lovely helmet. but it was an Index i was wearing at the track cos the HJC hadn't arrived.

Allan

Let me re-phrase a bit, then I think we can agree 100%. I didn't mean to imply that only the "showy" :o big-name brands are good enough to do the job - there must also be plenty of "good enough" lesser-known manufacturers' helmets that will do what we need. I bought a half-face Caberg with built-in sun-visor in the UK to bring here back in 2006. I thought the price (about GBP90) was steep, but I didn't have time to check around for something lesser-known but still good quality (I also have a big head - physically, that is!).

I think the lining/padding/fit is crucial - apart from a strong outer shell - all to act as an effective shock-absorber for major impacts. But no 400 baht helmet is going to do that - surely?

Between Had Yai & Songkla - there might a well be only 1 lane.

Cuz the old farmers in their 30 year old Toyota pick-ups are glued to the passing lane. Doing about 50.

Once again no formal training & zero enforcement.

If you want to overtake them it will be on the left.

I don't suppose anyone has a list of traffic offences? I recently got pulled over at a 12-man checkpoint, and he went through a list of things that he could fine me for. Eventually he got me for not carrying a copy of my green book with me. Since it was far from home though, he happily agrees to change the 200b fine to a 100b on the spot parking fine. I wanted to see the rest of the list but he wouldn't let me.

Yep. The budget crunch is hitting. I have paid 2 spot fines in the last 7 days. Always in the Kasem Rat Road area of Klong Thoey port. Yesterday I was going back to Immigration. 20 cops on the road. Same as you ZZ. Lisc, reg. proof of insurance. Luckily for me I have a shrunken copy of the green book, laminated I carry in my wallet. At the end big smiles & have a nice day. Paid Zero.

Happy days.

Edited by dotcom

• 4 weeks later...

I drive everday around Chiang Mai and only two things that bug me:-

1. Pulling out of a petrol station or side street, you have to push and push inch by inch (which is fine) but even when half the bloody car is blocking most of the road, people will still try and go around you whatever and will not give way until it is physically impossible to get round you.

2. The knob who comes blasting down the Superhighway in his big Toyota Fortuna flashing his lights trying to get you out the way (even though you are doing 130km/h at the same speed as all the other traffic in all 2/3 lanes ie. busy). In the UK, my response would always be an arrogant dab on the brakes....which wakes them up, followed by some roadrage from them usually! :o Always bit reluctant to do the same here!

Apart from that, I quite like the way people drive, seems to make sense....eg. if its shorter distance to the shop (on a bike) why not go the shortest route even if it is the wrong way down the road! Good thinking!

Then again, looking at road deaths here.....gulp!!

Too many things to list :D

1.) Driving on the wrong side of the road, even profesional drivers do that!

2.) Creeping out of a soi, then ignoring fast traffic, forcing others to break really hard instead of waiting until the road is free. (Or to turn into the wrong direction and make a proper U-turn 1 km down the road.

3.) General ignorance about what is going on around them. Sverving violently, crossing lines into other lanes (driving in the middle of two lanes). Changing lanes with no indicator...

In a nutshell, we would need a car free zone around us, like 50 m in every direction.

Ride long enough and you are bound to have an accident! Valentino Rossi would get into an accident within a few years if he drove like a grandpa. :o

• 1 month later...

Anyone who gets annoyed driving or riding a motor vehicle in Thailand is an ASS. The things they do here on the road will get you incarcerated in western countries. You ride a small bike here, you are like a mosquito. You ride a big bike here with gloves and helmet, they will think twice about messing with you. But, you must be aware of what is around you on the roads at all times. Attentiveness, response and size rule here. Don't like it...home is where your heart is...

Anyone who gets annoyed driving or riding a motor vehicle in Thailand is an ASS. The things they do here on the road will get you incarcerated in western countries. You ride a small bike here, you are like a mosquito. You ride a big bike here with gloves and helmet, they will think twice about messing with you. But, you must be aware of what is around you on the roads at all times. Attentiveness, response and size rule here. Don't like it...home is where your heart is...

I don't quite get the point you're trying to make in your post :o

I absolutely hate when I am just riding along minding my own business....not too slow, not too fast & somchai on or in his whatever, comes steaming past at a great rate of knots just to overtake you. At which point no sooner after doing so (sometimes when he is not fully past you) they suddenly brake like theres no tomorrow and pull left in front of you to turn left into a soi. The entire operation could have been smoothly completed behind you. F A R K E R S!

Having said that, after riding here for many years, I only seem to have a problem when going back to Australia....the highway patrol police there really don't appreciate my antics of high speed thru town, wrong side of the road, weaving thru the traffic, running red lights, driving on the footpath, pulling wheelies and so forth.....I don't know where there sense of humor is?

I think next time I'm pulled up there, Im gonna speak thai, produce my thai licence & try and drop 100 baht into one of their skyrockets :o

ditto. i detest this and seems to happen more often now

Too many things to list :D

1.) Driving on the wrong side of the road, even profesional drivers do that!

2.) Creeping out of a soi, then ignoring fast traffic, forcing others to break really hard instead of waiting until the road is free. (Or to turn into the wrong direction and make a proper U-turn 1 km down the road.

3.) General ignorance about what is going on around them. Sverving violently, crossing lines into other lanes (driving in the middle of two lanes). Changing lanes with no indicator...

In a nutshell, we would need a car free zone around us, like 50 m in every direction.

Ride long enough and you are bound to have an accident! Valentino Rossi would get into an accident within a few years if he drove like a grandpa. :o

agree with all 3, along with #3, seems most should be in a baht bus

not driving or riding...

I don't suppose anyone has a list of traffic offences? I recently got pulled over at a 12-man checkpoint, and he went through a list of things that he could fine me for. Eventually he got me for not carrying a copy of my green book with me. Since it was far from home though, he happily agrees to change the 200b fine to a 100b on the spot parking fine. I wanted to see the rest of the list but he wouldn't let me.
Yep. The budget crunch is hitting. I have paid 2 spot fines in the last 7 days. Always in the Kasem Rat Road area of Klong Thoey port. Yesterday I was going back to Immigration. 20 cops on the road. Same as you ZZ. Lisc, reg. proof of insurance. Luckily for me I have a shrunken copy of the green book, laminated I carry in my wallet.

Is it actually an offence to be riding without a copy of your green reg book with you? I know it is if you are without your license..... but the green book/copy? I take a laminated copy credit card size when on tour, but should I start taking it with me at all times now? Surely a current tax disc is proof that the bike has insurance...... isn't that the way now...... you cannot tax a bike unless you have insurance, or is it the other way around? I dunno...... grey matter's getting a bit mushy these days!

Someone clarify?

Hi :o

Anything that is able to move some money off you will be used. T.i.T. I have heard of people getting fined for wearing slippers or sandals and i have seen people getting fined for having darkened visors on their helmets.

They concentrate on bikes because they are easier to hold up and (in case of real tickets) don't cause such a traffic jam at the cop shop when there are 50 of them arriving within the half hour such a checkpoint is usually open.

They got me again last week for "driving in the right lane" which i wasn't but try to start a discussion with those idiots. "I see you black helmet". Great, as if i have the only black helmet in Bangkok. The Wave or whatever rider that actually did pass me (and dam_n well in the right lane) must have spotted them and did a quick turn to avoid them, so they just opted for the "next in line" - me. 400 Baht wasted - didn't want to take a 100 on the spot, lucky the cop shop was just 100 meters away (On Nut).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Ace, it's an offence not to have a copy of your green book with you. A photocopy will work just fine. Reason being, 'If you don't have ownership documents, you might have stolen the bike! In that case, where's my tea money??'

I honestly don't know what the rules are in Thailand, but back home when you get pulled over the standard line is "License, Insurance and Registration".

So I keep my license in my wallet and copies of all of the other documents under the seat, plus a copy of my passport and so far I've only ever had to show documents once, and that was because I hadn't yet received the plate or tax sticker for my new ER6n so they had a reason to pull me over. Showed them the documents and was sent on my way.

Why not carry them? Costs you nothing and it'll often keep the BiB from messing with you.

Happy Trails!

Tony