Phrae - Northern Thailand

HowardJohnson

I am just considering some options and one of those to to head to my girlfriends hometown for a few months - Phrae.

I have visited but didn't see many foreign faces. Do any of the membership live there?

If so, are there any foreign orientated bars/ restaurants etc?

What is the town like to live in for a long period of time?

Is there an expat community?

Cheers!

HoJo

I have a good friend, who I met on TV but is now banned, who lives near Phrae and consequently I visit the area quite often. I like the town and area, but as you point out there are very few Farangs around and it would be my advice that if you believe you need Farang company and the facilities that come with a reasonable Farang sized community then Phrae might not be the place to settle.

My friend's comment regarding the local Farang community, for what it is, he finds it very restricted and not a little incestuous, he therefore tends to give it a wide berth.

I am just considering some options and one of those to to head to my girlfriends hometown for a few months - Phrae.

I have visited but didn't see many foreign faces. Do any of the membership live there?

If so, are there any foreign orientated bars/ restaurants etc?

What is the town like to live in for a long period of time?

Is there an expat community?

Cheers!

HoJo

If you need an expat community and foreign orientated bars/restaurants to be happy you should move to Pattaya, not Phrae. Why for heaven sakes you need an expat community, or foreign orientated bars?

Maybe he'd like to shoot the breaze with guys from the 'old country' now and again, maybe he'd like to eat the odd Farang meal now and again.

Doesn't mean he must condemn himself to Pattaya does it?!

Very true, after all, in Pattaya he would be "eating a meal" that had been eaten by Farangs hundreds if not thousands of times before :o !!!!!

• 1 year later...

Phrae is just a quiet small town so you won't see many foreigners living there. Well, there are a few of foreigners living there. There is an English guy named Karl owns a guesthouse called Thepavong Place, if you need a foreign friend to talk with. Sorry, there is no "foreign community" here in Phrae. By the way, where-about in Phrae you'll be living or staying in?

I know of a German guy, really nice guy, living up there outside of town w/ his Thai wife whom he met in PTY. He's got a nice comfortable house and built a small house for her parents. But he's content to mess around w/ his computer, surf the net, and raise orchids. Last I heard he was starting to talk to his orchids . . . .

Edited by JSixpack

I know of German guy, really nice guy, living up there outside of town w/ his Thai wife whom he met in PTY. He's got a nice comfortable house and built a small house for her parents. But he's content to mess around w/ his computer, surf the net, and raise orchids. Last I heard he was starting to talk to his orchids . . . .

he speaks orchidish now?

My god! Foreigners are everywhere now. <deleted>? You're like a decease, a virus. You invade this country and you keep spreading everywhere and keep multiplying ever year and corrupting everything.

I want you guys out

What's up with you, your wife ran off with a Farang?

I lived in Phrae for about 6 months a few years back.

There was a small group of ex-pats I met there, all decent guys, but not one of them had a good thing to say about Phrae it seemed. I also new a guy there who originally came from the UK who has been in Thailand over 20 years who couldn't stand it there (he left, I would bet the others are still there!)

Having said that, I had a really good time! Maybe 6 months was a bit long, but it's easy enough to get off to Chiang Mai if you want the farang stuff. I also new a couple of other youngish farang who went there to work and ended up either staying, or in one case, leaving, going to Bangkok for 6 months or so, then returning to Phrae.

There are (were?) a few bars and clubs (Eros and Shabu Shabu) that can be quite fun if you go with some locals. It's a bit different if you go alone and try and meet people there.

I miss it quite often, it's a good place to jump on the motorbike and go cruising. You wont find the kind if things there that would if you did the same thing in Pattaya, that's for sure!

I know of German guy, really nice guy, living up there outside of town w/ his Thai wife whom he met in PTY. He's got a nice comfortable house and built a small house for her parents. But he's content to mess around w/ his computer, surf the net, and raise orchids. Last I heard he was starting to talk to his orchids . . . .

he speaks orchidish now?

Hey, this guy is a friend of mine, and he doesn't talk to his orchids. Besides it's only when the orchids start talking back that you have to worry. :)

My god! Foreigners are everywhere now. <deleted>? You're like a decease, a virus. You invade this country and you keep spreading everywhere and keep multiplying ever year and corrupting everything.

I want you guys out

Tell you what; you`re not a Thai but a Farang. It`s obvious that the medication isn`t working.

Seems the OP has recieved his answer.

Phrae is a one horse town dump, fine if you like talking to plants and getting involved with one foot in the gravers.

Edited by BigWheelMan