Best Prepaid Sim Card

SGDude

My friend recommended me DTAC a couple of years ago so I stuck with this brand of prepaid SIM every time I visit Bangkok.

During my current trip, I noticed the value in the SIM decreases rather rapidly. Therefore, I am wondering if there are better alternatives out there.

What other brands do you guys use and why?

AIS is the largest GSM provider with DTAC coming second.

Not knowing the local setup because I'd never been to Thailand before, I bought a 'Happy' SIM card online from a US company called Telestial.com before I left home, only to discover that it didn't work when I arrived there. So I bought an AIS SIM for 120 baht after which a recharge card costs 300 baht a time. You can buy those at any supermarket or 7/11. I've still got 215 baht remaining on mine, but can't seem to use it outside Thailand. The unused time also expires in three months which is pretty short.

But it's such a small amount, so I'm not really bothered. I'll just make sure I use up all the existing minutes before buying a recharge card again next time.

Maybe you have some package activated which deduce at daily basis, contact DTAC helpline and complain. If its package or technical fault in their accounting so it can be corrected. You can have such problem with any network. I have been using AIS for more then one year but now also got DTAC because AIS is bit expensive.

Edited by munirkn

I've been there .... and done that... and so there are a few things to say...

Regarding the different cell phone service providers, first, they have different kinds of coverage areas... AIS is generally considered to have better coverage out in the far reaches, whereas True and DTAC are very good in BKK. True is not so good in far-flung places, speaking from personal experience.

As to rates and the time for minutes expiring, at least for DTAC, the regular SIM card you might buy at the local 7/11 comes with some preset service plan (probably their main current offering), which has set deals as to the cost per minute and length of time the minutes are valid. The higher amount value card you purchase, the longer the validity of the minutes.

However, what the casual tourist might not know is that they can take that same SIM card to the local DTAC customer service center and see a printed list of different service plans that are available...each with different terms as to cost per minute, duration of time, and even discounts for calls to certain areas in Thailand, such as upcountry. You just tell them which plan best suits your needs, and they program it into their system, and voila.. new plan.

When I was a tourist, and only coming every 3 or 6 months, I was constantly having my minutes (and thus number) expire between visits. Because usually I was getting 3 months validity from my top-up card renewals. Eventually, I figured out the above, and discovered DTAC had one plan that automatically had validity for one year from your last top-up. After that, as a tourist, I never lost my number or minutes again.

The large DTAC center at Siam Paragon has good English speaking staff, and they're pretty helpful in sorting these things out...if you go in knowing to ask for the English printed list of their current service plans...and go from there... I'd assume, AIS operates similarly...

I have True mobile service also, and they constantly are offering different kinds of mobile plans with different rates and promotions, and usually have pretty good details about those on their True Mobile web site.

Got to agree with jfchandler post. DTAC's various plans are comprehensive and the subscription renewal service is easy.

NOTE:

All these services can be accessed on-line by going to the below address, Register/Login (free) and then move to the service you want.

http://www.dtac.co.th/eng/e-service/index.html

To extend your SIM's validity days, you need to navigate to the "OTP Required Services". New Login temp password required.

Then select the "Day Give-Away Service" to extend your SIM's validity days.

DTAC by a country mile.

Register online and you can access all the numbers called and SMS you have sent for the preceding 2 months.

You can change promotions at ease.

Extend credit out to one year for only a few baht (no need to use Simple SIM).

Check your credit.

Activate international roaming.

If phoning abroad, log on, check your balance, make a call (say 2 min) then check your balance again (F5) and you have a real time true costing of your usage.

God English speaking staff but a good comprehensive website in English means you don't have to talk to them.

Coverage is not a problem. I'm in the boonies now up north and have maximum 7 bar coverage. Never had a coverage issue.

Thanks. I think I will stick with DTAC then. I just found out that there isn't a free incoming call practice in Thailand. I will get a mobile plan from DTAC once I have moved here later this month. I need to go back to my country this week to settle my visa.

Got to agree with jfchandler post. DTAC's various plans are comprehensive and the subscription renewal service is easy.

All these services can be accessed on-line by going to the below address, Register/Login (free) and then move to the service you want.

To extend your SIM's validity days.......

You can also extend your validity by calling:

*113*30*9# .....for 30 days extension

*113*90*9# .....for 90 days extension

*113*180*9# ...for 180 days extension

Costs 2 baht per 30 days, a confirmation message is sent to your phone.

AIS big big rip off. stay with DTAC. extend your validity with only 12 baht for 6 months as someone else just mentioned. i just bloody hate 12 Call. I have lost at least 250 baht in the last couple of months just because i forgot to add more money to it before the end of the validity. 50 baht you get 3 days? 100 baht you get 7 days? Talk about buying short term! kiss my ass 12 Call!

TB..

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Need some advise on the prepaid SIM card.

I'll be visiting Phuket (Khao Lak) soon and was wondering if it made sense to get a prepaid SIM so that I can use 3G/HSPDA services on my smartphone.

Can anyone advise whether AIS or DTAC prepaid SIM cards supports data services? And also if there is data coverage for Phuket/Khao Lak.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll be visiting Phuket (Khao Lak) soon and was wondering if it made sense to get a prepaid SIM so that I can use 3G/HSPDA services on my smartphone.

Can anyone advise whether AIS or DTAC prepaid SIM cards supports data services? And also if there is data coverage for Phuket/Khao Lak.

Thanks for the feedback.

True 3G has coverage there(Phuket). What is more important is if your phone is compatible with the signal. True 3G is on 850MHz.

Just notice that you mentioned Khao Lak. Forget about 3G there. It's only on the west coast of Phuket.

Perhaps you should look at EDGE access.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Thanks for your feedback. Any form of wireless internet would be fine as I'm not doing any gaming or large data up/downlaods. More for reading of email messages and some light web browing.

I was going through the True Telco webby and it's data plans does include EDGE/GPRS, apart from wifi & 3G.

But their coverage map does not tell me muc about exactly where their EDGE services cover.

Now that 850Mhz might be a stopper.... lemme check out whether my arsenal of gadgets( that can do wireless tethering) accept that frequency.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback.

True 3G has coverage there(Phuket). What is more important is if your phone is compatible with the signal. True 3G is on 850MHz.

Just notice that you mentioned Khao Lak. Forget about 3G there. It's only on the west coast of Phuket.

Thanks for your feedback. Any form of wireless internet would be fine as I'm not doing any gaming or large data up/downlaods. More for reading of email messages and some light web browing.

I was going through the True Telco webby and it's data plans does include EDGE/GPRS, apart from wifi & 3G.

But their coverage map does not tell me muc about exactly where their EDGE services cover.

Now that 850Mhz might be a stopper.... lemme check out whether my arsenal of gadgets( that can do wireless tethering) accept that frequency.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback.

If you are not bothered about 3G, just use the SIM with the best coverage. Both the True SIM and the HAPPY SIM are a mere 49 baht at 7/11 or Family Mart. So you can buy one of each. Also, a standard Happy Internet SIM costs a mere 69 baht and comes with between 5 and 10 hours access. These can be cut to size in a mobile phone shop.

Thanks for your feedback.

At those reasonable prices, they are definitely worth a try. (If they don't work or there's no coverage where I'll be going, the loss is affordable)

Hmmm.... aren't Thai SIMs they same size as international standards? Do they need cutting? I intend to bring my ipad, but if the SIM could fit into my Galaxy S or Tab, then I can do a wireless tethering to the ipad and save the trouble of SIM cutting.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback.

If you are not bothered about 3G, just use the SIM with the best coverage. Both the True SIM and the HAPPY SIM are a mere 49 baht at 7/11 or Family Mart. So you can buy one of each. Also, a standard Happy Internet SIM costs a mere 69 baht and comes with between 5 and 10 hours access. These can be cut to size in a mobile phone shop.

Thanks for your feedback.

At those reasonable prices, they are definitely worth a try. (If they don't work or there's no coverage where I'll be going, the loss is affordable)

Hmmm.... aren't Thai SIMs they same size as international standards? Do they need cutting? I intend to bring my ipad, but if the SIM could fit into my Galaxy S or Tab, then I can do a wireless tethering to the ipad and save the trouble of SIM cutting.

Micro SIMs here and here. Standard Mini SIMs available too. As they say...up to you. :)