Power Cuts

JiveTalker

Was out for a couple of hours early evening (Central Phuket - Near Heroines Circle), came on for 10mins then off again for a further hour or so. Rumors were that it was all of Phuket and Phangnah.

I thought Phuket was independent of mainland power and had a generating station here, can anyone confirm or not I'm just curious.

I was all over phuket, but it seemed to cycle sections.... Friends in villa dowlong, would not have power while friends in Villa 5 would, then when the frineds in villa 5 had power, villa dowlong did not....

I checked the Phuket paper today but don't see any reports... I wonder what caused this?

I was in Rawai, wife was in Phuket town and power was out at both locations.  Then when looking across at cape panwa which had lights, the power came back on, but in Phuket Town it was still off.  I then proceeded to a local Nai Han restaurant that had a generator which must have been on a different grid as the power was out there also, then came on about 45 minutes after power came on in rawai.

Edited by steelepulse

I was in Rawai, wife was in Phuket town and power was out at both locations. Then when looking across at cape panwa which had lights, the power came back on, but in Phuket Town it was still off. I then proceeded to a local Nai Han restaurant that had a generator which must have been on a different grid as the power was out there also, then came on about 45 minutes after power came on in rawai.

A restaurant with a generator???? Please do tell which one it is for future reference :o

Flickered on and off in Rawai twice, Was getting a massage, and it went out twice around 6pm. I then drove into Central, where different sections were out all the way in, Once I was in Central (which was packed) Sat down for a meal up stairs, only to be left in the dark again. It was an amazing sound thousands of ppl screaming all at once!

Knocked out Bangla Rd until about 8:30 pm and kept Patong dark south of JungCeylon starting at Cristinas maassage joint.

When the power went off at our place at about 4pm I walked around and realized it was a rolling blackout. However, north of Jungceylon down to beach still had power, while otherside of RatU didn't.

Seems to me by the nature of who kept power and who didn't they were trying to shed load. Peak use of electricity during peak season on an aging and inadequate grid. Be greatful tourists numbers dipped this high season I suppose.

I dunno about you folks, but taking a cold shower wasn't pleasant. man, that water was cold. Of course naturally, the power came on just as I finished shaving in the dark with a flashlight.

A few more details here:Phuketwan

Gerd

From the entry "Everything went black soon after Governor Preecha Ruangjan had opened the annual Red Cross festival at Saphan Hin public park.

One wag joked that perhaps it was part of a protest action by supporters of the Yellow Cross. "

:o

Edited by MyphuketLife

Electrical power for Phuket is generated at the Rajjaprabha dam, located at the Khao Sok national park .

Google Earth Lat 8°58'19.65"N Long 98°48'25.77"E

http://www.eng.ku.ac.th/~irre/RAJJAPRA.HTM

Name : Rajjaprabha Dam

Location : On Khlong Saeng river at Ban Chiew Larn , Khao Pung subdistrict , Ban Ta Khun district , Surat Thani province

Type : Rockfill Dam

Size : 94 meters high and 761 meters long

Year Completed : 1987

Storage Capacity : 5,638 million cubic meters

Electricity Generating Capacity : 240 MW

Annual Energy : 550 GWh

MC