Maybe Up To 6000 Dead, Tidal Waves Slams Thailand

george

Is there any news on Lunta Island, Krabi? I'm looking for information about a John Kelly - he's a friend of my girlfriend. We'd very much appreciate any information.

We've just heard his house is still standing which is some good news, but there's still no response from the mobile.

We've also got two more friends in India at present, but no idea where in the country they currently are :o

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand's rescue services were struggling to cope with the aftermath of Sunday's earthquake and tidal waves, as the official death toll doubled.

Rescue workers said at least 839 people had died and thousands were injured, as bodies continued to be found.

There were dramatic reports of rescues at the worst hit areas, including at tourist resorts on the west coast.

The island of Phi Phi, famous as the location of the 1990 film The Beach, is reported to have been devastated.

At least 200 tourists and islanders were airlifted from the island by helicopter, but scores more are still missing.

A photographer with the AFP news agency, who reached the island on Monday, said hardly a building had been left standing.

"I see one building standing and it is the Phi Phi hotel," he said.

Thai officials raised the national death toll after more bodies were found in the province of Phang Nga, where 528 people are now known to have died.

The toll in Phuket, one of the country's busiest tourist resorts, was unchanged at 130.

Hundreds of people stranded on remote islands; long tail boats submerged and overturned; and the eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water.

Matthew Ward, Raley Beach, Thailand

Tell us your experiences

Bodies continued to arrive at makeshift morgues in Phuket on Monday.

Many were foreign tourists wearing swimming costumes and diving wetsuits, reflecting the suddenness of the disaster.

"We have had 68 bodies here since this began this morning but now even more are coming," a nurse at one morgue said.

Among the dead was a grandson of Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who was jet-skiing off Khao Lak when the tsunami - triggered by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sumatra - hit.

Survivors airlifted from the island of Phi Phi told of the destruction the wall of water caused.

"I saw lots of dead bodies and many injured people, many with cuts and broken bones," Belgian tourist Christian Patouraux, 35, told Reuters news agency.

He said he survived only because he had left the ground floor dining room of his hotel after breakfast to pack.

There were also fears that the death toll on Phi Phi was set to rise.

Wirat Mansa-ad, conducting official rescue operations on the islands, told AFP: "I saw bodies almost everywhere on land, and in the water too, and I think there are many more bodies trapped under the... debris".

Most of the dead were elderly tourists, he said.

Tourism is one of Thailand's most important industries, with hundreds of thousands of tourists drawn to its beaches each year.

In neighbouring Malaysia, at least 50 people were reported killed after the tidal waves hit. Most of the dead were in the holiday resort of Penang.

Anyone know of any survivor lists from Phi Phi?

My friends were spending their delayed honeymoon at the PP Princess Resort. I undertsand this is one of the resorts that has lost most of its bungalows, which is of course a worry.

Any help much appreciated.

I believe the PP Princess and PP Canbana are the only structures that really survived the wave(s), so perhaps that's a comfort. I think the Thai government, which safety evacuated injured (by helicopter Dec. 26) and survivors (by warship Dec. 27) has sent the injured to Bangkok by air (because Phuket hospitals are overwhelmed), so be sure to check any lists of Westerners in Bangkok hospitals that will come out.

In fact it is not difficult nor terribly expensive to set up a tsunami warning system -- as already exists in the Pacific.

I don't know why some strange people consider this blaming someone; it's primarily a comment on how such a tragedy can be avoided in the future.

Tsunami waves can hit within minutes or many hours, it's just a factor of how far away the coastline is. They travel fast but slow down before they hit. In today's event it was around 30 minutes after the Indonesian quake before Thailand was hit and several hours before India and Srilanka were hit. Plenty of time for a warning.

Tsunamis only come from strong earthquakes. It only takes a few minutes for scientists around the world to know that a strong earthquake has occurred. Then those people within a circle of coastline away from the epicenter can be warned with a siren. This is how its done in the Pacific. It doesn't require the cooperation of the Indonesian govenment either since seismic data is available globally.

Yes it's true that many times there are earthquakes without tsunamis. But what's the harm in a few false alarms every year? The use of other devices such tide gauges can refine the system further.

The simplest preventative measure is to educate people that suddenly receding waters on the beach means great danger. This is true 100% of the time I believe!

Tsunamis are rare in this part of the world but they certainly are not unknown. When Cracatoa exploded in the 19th century there was even greater disaster. That was a volcano not an earthquake, but it's true that authorities have been a little complacent about the danger of tsunamis. There is hardly reason to to blame anyone, but that does NOT negate the fact that some aspects of this tragedy can be prevented in the future.

Excellent post. I agree with you 100%. I can understand the current mood and tone on the forum, but this is a forum, which to me means that it is open for discussion.

Wolfie;

Now for all the "Chicken-littles" out there saying: "The government should do this and the government should do that; have a lok at this website, and see how many siesmic events there are just in the last week..... Which one is the one that will cause the disaster we had today ???? Maybe the one in 100 years or the one in 1000 years?

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/

Maybe the one that registered 8.9/9.0 on the Richter, one of the largest quakes to occur over the last century.

'Like a massive dam collapsing'

By Tim Fawcett, Phuket, Thailand

Some tourists in Phuket are still looking for friends and relatives

A few days ago the small beach town of Kamala, just north of Patong in Phuket, was a paradise of white sand and restaurants lit up by Christmas lights.

The sea surge, known as a tsunami, has left a living ######.

A dead body is taken away on the back of an open truck to add to the numbers already ticking up by the hour here.

Official casualty figures for Phuket are growing and in Kamala - which bore the full brunt of the tsunami - it is a town torn to sheds.

People sit and stare upon piles of rubble looking around themselves in disbelief and shock. Once their home, their business, now nothing.

The job of clearing up has begun - a filthy business and also a horrific one.

While police search a lagoon in rubber dinghies, hundreds of onlookers wait - nervous that one of the dead bodies found is a family member or friend.

'No insurance'

Janjira Sopanout, a 33-year-old Thai woman, has lived in Kamala six years and ran a small tourism business operating tours to the nearby islands of Phi Phi and Krabi as well as renting motorbikes.

"More than 10 people I know have died - more of my friends hurt. It was horrible - people were running everywhere screaming when the huge wave hit us."

She looks devastated by what has happened and explains how she has lost everything.

People are still coming to terms with the devastation

Her business is gone - her car was washed away by the torrent over 150 metres down the road, and now lies smashed to pieces on its end against a tree.

"None of us here have insurance for our businesses," she said in desperation.

"We will take at least three years to recover - tourists won't want to come here any more."

The scene here is a huge shock for those visiting the place - a favourite for those preferring a quiet holiday in a low-key resort without the hoards of visitors found in nearby Patong, with its bars and shows - itself now lying in rubble.

One tourist here for a week was trapped, though lucky his room was on the first floor.

He watched in horror for over one hour as the torrent swept people, trucks, cars and motorbikes along the road below with all kind of debris.

"People were trapped, others were getting cut by glass as they tried to escape the huge flood of water - it was just like a massive dam had been breached."

So much weight of water - up to 12 feet along the main street has torn everything away.

Solidarity

A massive reconstruction is needed if this small town stands any hope of getting back to normal business.

There is no trace of the beachside restaurants - the whole beach has gone where they once stood.

Shops and banks have been left as a skeletal structure, their frontages smashed and the insides ripped out, now piled with rubble after the water receded.

The street is a ruin of power cables draped over debris and broken glass - a shop front still has in tatters its tinsel sign declaring Happy New Year - not for these people.

Locals fear it will take several years for the tourist industry to recover

Someone has rescued a picture of the Queen of Thailand and propped it up against a stool.

You can smell the despondency, but already there are signs of clean-up activity.

Not much can be saved - a computer lies crushed and covered in mud, and a plastic calculator face down - technology that helped keep this place ticking at its own pace.

Reports of looting are occasional - most people are helping each other and families and friends organising accommodation for their relatives.

A crackly loudspeaker blares out instructions to people in need of food and water - power is not expected for at least two more days.

Helicopters are overhead, and on the ground the authorities are keeping order.

It will be some considerable time before Kamala is once again one of Phuket's happy and unspoilt beach resorts.

Their world gone, it is amazing to see the Thais showing such a brave face, bravery and solidarity.

I believe the PP Princess and PP Canbana are the only structures that really survived the wave(s), so perhaps that's a comfort. I think the Thai government, which safety evacuated injured (by helicopter Dec. 26) and survivors (by warship Dec. 27) has sent  the injured to Bangkok by air (because Phuket hospitals are overwhelmed), so be sure to check any lists  of Westerners in Bangkok hospitals that will come out.

thanks ferd...a little comfort indeed. I'll try and find some bangkok lists.

More eyewitness experiences (thailand only)

We saw a wall of water approaching us. When it hit us, it was only about 10 feet high and the boat rose and then dipped. It was a bit rocky but we were all fine. Several more similar waves followed. Then a lull, and the boat man drove us a small distance to shelter behind a small island. We could see the tsunami breaking on the shore behind us in enormous sprays of water. The waves crashed onto the shores on the small islands ahead of us with devesting force - the beach disappearing before our very eyes. Thank goodness we were in relatively deep water. If we had got underway 10 minutes earlier or later, we may not have been so fortunate.

Sumy Menon, off Krabi coast

I live in Ao-Nang Krabi [Thailand]. The scene is quite bad here - with upturned boats lying broken and strewn across the street. Many tourists and locals are missing - they were leaving on tours as the wave hit. Army and police are arriving in their masses.

Rob Bysouth, Krabi, Thailand

My husband was walking on the beach in Nai Harn when he noticed people running. When he turned around the water was rushing back in towards the shore. He didn't have time to run, so he just started swimming. He got washed into the lagoon at the end of the beach and found himself caught in a boiling whirlpool. He was lucky enough to see a large, red cooler box and grabbed onto it. After a few minutes he was close enough to the jungle to grab onto a tree and pull himself out. The beach is a disaster now with all of the local restaurants and beach chairs businesses totally destroyed.

Ms. Q, Phuket, Thailand

My art gallery on the Beach Road containing 4000 paintings has been literally swept away and with it 18 years of my wife's work and ten years of mine. The worst part is that the government has stated that another Tsunami is on the way and will strike at any time now so maybe our house which is about 7 minutes from the beach is next to go.

Paul Conner, Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand.

This morning I rode down to the beach front, ambulances whizzing past me. When I got near the beach front I saw cars piled on cars. Four terrified girls asked me to take them to safety. On the beach front road lay two boats, one had been crushed by a flying bus; cars have been thrown through two story buildings. I saw three dead being carried away. I spent the day helping where I could taking people to high ground. There was a mile long traffic jam snaking up and out of Patong, it was like a biblical exodus. My local super market was one floor underground, it had been flooded, the chance of survival for the staff is close to zero.

Shane Cordell, Patong, Phuket, Thailand

Well my family and I were enjoying the sun and the beach at 11 am this morning. as we looked at other hotel guest staring at something on the horizon, we soon became aware that a huge wave was heading our way with little to no time we grabbed what we could and just managed to get high enough! another soon came afterwards. Most of the southern beached and houses of Krabi are destroyed, the wave carried long boats, cars and trees onto the land and crushed them with its power!!

Robert Herrick, Krabi, Thailand

There were 60 people stranded at Emeral cave in Trang Province, Thailand. The big wave struck the western coast Trang province shoreline around 11 o'clock. The rescue could not come out for rescue till 2 o'clock in the afternoon because of the high wave. By 2:00 p.m. Thai rescue officers arrived at the cave. Two people were found dead. The rest of the people were rescued to safety. No one was found floating in the sea.

Sutatip Emery, Bangkok Thailand

We are on holiday here in Phuket. The beach near where we are staying - Bangtao - has suffered major damage, but mainly to the fishermen and the people who have shops on the beach. Many of our hotel staff and their families have been affected, yet remain at work providing services to their guests like us. All of us fear the final death toll, and in particular are worried that the many tourists who went out on boat trips this morning have not returned.

Charles Dickson, Phuket, Thailand

Out on a boat all day so missed the resort I was staying in being completely destroyed. Then was just about to get into the water to dive when the tidal wave struck. If we'd been under water we'd have been wiped out. Incredible scenes of destruction as we tried to return to our beach: hundreds of people stranded on remote islands; long tail boats submerged and overturned; whole trees drifting in the water; helicopters and coast guards trying to get to the injured; and the eeriest thing was sandals and flip flops floating in the water.

Matthew Ward, Raley Beach, Thailand

Why was there no warning about the "Tsunami" after the earthquake? Where the scientists on holiday?

George, Phuket, Thailand

??? george ??

I woke up to what I thought was banging on our hotel door - it blew open and we were tossed from our bed by the surge of tide into the room. It broke out the back windows and we were carried out. We scrambled on to walls and rooftops but within minutes the tide surged higher and 15 to 20 feet was not high enough. The buildings around me collapsed and I was thrown into the surge. When I came up there was a branch I grabbed on and held. Surviving the receding tides was hardest. Pinned against a tree by the water, debris and bodies started to pile up against me and it felt like I was being crushed. In the end, the whole resort was gone. There are many others like me - lost, dazed and searching for their loved ones.

Kevin Aldrich, Phang Nga, Thailand

I was sleeping in a tent near a beach in a national park on the east of Phuket airport when I started being shaken around by the sea (around 10am. I woke up fast as the tidal waves started to wash the tent away. I could not find the zip and had to tear the tent apart to get out. I struggled a little bit to rescue the tent and its contents but had to rapidly let go of the whole thing to save myself. As I escaped, the water became extremely muddy and the tidal and the forested area made the escape very difficult. Finally managed to climb onto a tree to get some relief from the waves of mud and moving objects (cars, trees). After regaining some strength, went to rescue a young boy that had been separated from his parents and was stuck in the branches of a fallen tree (his parents were very relieved to find us later on at a local dispensary - one of their friends had not been so lucky and had lost her two kids.) As I escaped the area, I could apprehend the vastness of the devastation!

Alain Diandet, Phuket, Thailand

Anybody looking for relatives or friends can post a message at the Phuket Disaster Message Board HERE

You can also post a message to let friends and family know that you are ok.

There is up to date information about people treated at Phuket Hospitals which is being updated on a regular basis.

J

I just went through Kata and Karon and things are getting back to normal here. People are on the beaches, which was great to see.

I have some photos, I will email them to George after Ive resized them.

For the people that were coming here for holidays, still come as Phuket needs you more than ever now. The weather is beautiful and there is plenty of places to stay.

I can just confirm. I went to take pictures in Patong this midday, there were at least two ladies on the beach sunbathing. The pictures are on http://www.siam.de/SuedThailand/Phuket/Pat...GrosseWelle.htm with German text, but just click on the thumbnails to see more.

The quake was being discussed here at Thaivisa one hour before the wave hit. That means it was still 500 miles from Phuket.

Swift action would have saved lives, including that of HM's Grandson, who was regarded with affection in Thailand.

Once the initial grief is passed, questions need to be asked of the PM, and sophistry just ain't going to cut it in response.

Please, please, please does anyone have anymore information on the effect the tidal wave has had on Ko Lanta? In particular Long Beach? We've got Thai friends that live and work right on the beach and we can't get in touch. We're also due to leave the UK for Lanta in a months time and we're due to get married at the Lanta Long Beach Resort.

Any information, however trivial will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The quake was being discussed here at Thaivisa one hour before the wave hit. That means it was still 500 miles from Phuket.

Swift action would have saved lives, including that of HM's Grandson, who was regarded with affection in Thailand.

Once the initial grief is passed, questions need to be asked of the PM, and sophistry just ain't going to cut it in response.

Can we please stop the "i need to blame someone exercise" :o

Could have , should have, this that ... Sure maybe all governements in the pacific region should resign because of this , it will surely help the people hurt ...

The simpel reason there are no measure is because of the region's culture, lack of economic power, local wars (sri lanka) etc...

Yeah sure they heed a billion dollar system to prevent something that only happened 150 years ago the last time :D

Get out of your western "control all" mindset. Maybe you should accept the fact that you can't control everything , especially nature.

Can we please stop the "i need to blame someone exercise" :D

Could have , should have, this that ... Sure maybe all governements in the pacific region should resign because of this , it will surely help the people hurt ...

The simpel reason there are no measure is because of the region's culture, lack of economic power, local wars (sri lanka) etc...

Yeah sure they heed a billion dollar system to prevent something that only happened 150 years ago the last time :D

Get out of your western "control all" mindset. Maybe you should accept the fact that you can't control everything , especially nature.

Yeah, a loud speaker and a dedicated phone line would have cost billions :o

Read this and start thinking

USGS: Warnings could have saved thousands

http://news.com.com/USGS+Warnings+could+ha...ml?tag=nefd.top

Edited by Butterfly

Anyone know of any survivor lists from Phi Phi?

Just about 4 in the afternoon a couple with two children arrived here in Patong. They came by boat from Phi Phi. On the way to the pier a lot of Thai came rushing uphill, but the couple just went to the boat and came to Phuket without problems. They were to exhausted to tell a long story, but arrived with all luggage. Must have been pretty lucky. Now they share a room with some other friends. Nanai Road in Patong - up bit up on the mountain - is completely overbooked. This afternoon we had a alarm by the police about a new wave here, but it was false alarm. (To keep the looters from beach road?)

A nice touchy-feely speech above ...but.....

The whole point of Governments is to govern, to protect the citizenry. to take pre-emptive measures - that's why civil Servants get paid and don't work for free.

That's why we have taxes.

You can't just go 'ooh, its nobody's fault'

Yes, its an Act of God - but even Noah managed to escape his flood with a bit of preparation and warning.

like has been previously mentioned here, the quake off hobart australia didnt result in a tsunami, as it was a plate slip, this one plate colison did, its imspossible (nearly) to predict these things, my girlfriend recalls sitting in a restaurant after work in patong a few years ago and laughing at the people running to the hills after the last tsunami waring which didnt result in any wave hitting phuket and the media were criticised for making such a big deal over nothing, could this "mai pen rai" attitude and make the media not want to broadcast a possible catasrophe when they would be criticised again, or do some people just not want to hear.

its definately a tragic waste of life, but could the millions that would be spent on monitoring a once in few hundred years event be better spent on education, health and the poor.

here in Australia we are always upset at the high taxes we have, but we have systems in workplaces protecting us from accidents, speed cameras to reduce road toll, etc these systems all come at a price and a burden on the community that is sometimes unable to get ahead enough to afford them, do you think anyone could afford the higher taxes the govt would impose if these systems were introduced, its not just Tsunami prediction, its all the other ones as well or do we wait for them to occur too and then blame someone after the event.

i may be rambling but its just my view and its just trying to put such a horrific event into another perspective where everyone will stop the finger pointing and get on with aiding these people affected by such and event.

i see our Govt(Australia) has pledged 10 million AUD to the relief fund already

Update:

Death toll of tsunami in southern Thailand rises to nearly 400

PHUKET, Dec 27 (TNA) -- The official death toll from a series of tsunami, caused by one of the world's strongest earthquakes in the Indonesian resort Island of Sumatra, which shook southern Thailand without warning on Sunday morning, has mounted to nearly 400 early Monday morning.

According to the Ministry of Public Health's Narenthorn Centre, the death toll has risen to 392, with over 5,000 injured--many are foreign tourists-- and scores of people still missing, reportedly including Khun Phum Jensen, the son of Princess Ubolrat Rajakanya.

The Thai government issued a statement last night expressing its condolence to families which lost their beloved ones from, or were affected by, the natural catastrophe, the first of its kind in Thailand.

The government would, to its utmost, extend assistance in all possible means to the affected people and families, and restore the damaged areas as urgently as possible, said the statement.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra stayed overnight in the country's southern resort island of Phuket, one of the areas worst hit by the tragedy, to boost the morale of the people and draw up urgent measures to cope with the crisis, which had caught Thailand entirely unprepared.

The prime minister, who yesterday afternoon cut short a political rally in the country's Northeast to make an emergency helicopter flight to Phuket, said after a meeting with local and national officials that Monday would see further rescue efforts to find the remaining victims.

He ordered a further meeting of all the authorities concerned Monday morning to discuss the updated situation and measures to be taken.

His decision to make an unscheduled overnight stay in Phuket reflects the enormous scale of one of the worst natural disasters to have hit Thailand in recent memory.

But the prime minister confirmed that the worst damage had been done to coastal resorts, and that people in Phuket's main town were safe.

"There are no problems in the town, there's nothing to be afraid of. We have evacuated people, and we will ensure that they are made as convenient as we possibly can in a situation such as this. We have provided beds, and even though it may not be very comfortable, it is safe", the prime minister said.

After speaking to reporters, Mr. Thaksin set off on a helicopter surveillance flight over Takua Pa district in the nearby Phang-nga Province, the area worst hit in the disaster.

Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan, who visited the doctors and nurses who are desperately trying to provide assistance to the victims of the tragedy, said that relatives were flocking in to collect the bodies of their loved ones.

Last night ambassadors from 25 nations visited Thailand to assess the situation, which has left scores of foreigners dead and injured.

Meanwhile, the Royal Thai Navy rushed to the aid of victims of the tidal waves, which slammed into the southern coastline, sending out helicopters and HMS Chakri Naruebetr in a desperate bid to save tourists and local residents.

Rear-Admiral Pheerasan Watcharamoon, deputy commander of the 2nd Navy Division, said that the navy had sent out two fully-equipped helicopters and teams of medical personnel and divers to provide assistance to people on Koh Phi Phi, where tidal waves have left hundreds of tourists and locals stranded.

Interior Minister Bhokin Bhalakula has ordered the urgent establishment of an English-language tourist call centre to provide emergency relief for the thousands of tourists left stranded and injured in the worst tidal wave disaster ever to hit Thailand.

Mr. Bhokin, who flew to Phuket to liaise with local officials after tidal waves of up to 10 metres crashed into the southern coast yesterday morning, said that he was also coordinating medical relief operations.

Hospitals and health centres on the island have admitted that they have insufficient personnel to cope with the scale of the disaster.

Joining Mr. Bhokin on the southern resort island were Natural Resources and Environment Minister Suwit Khunkitti, Deputy Interior Minister Sutham Saengpratoom, Public Health Minister Sudarat Keyuraphan, and Deputy Prime Minister Chaturon Chaisang.

The interior minister, who said that the call centre would allow foreign tourists to search for information and contact their relatives, added that he had also asked local officials to contact hotels to determine visitor numbers in order to get accurate figures on the number of people missing.

--TNA 2004-12-27

Has there been any talk of how long it will take for the clean up operation in Phuket to finish. I agree with whoever said that people should not stop going there because the people who survived deserve the right to try and rebuild their lives and their businesses as best they can.

I was there two months ago and it saddens me to look at pictures of shops,bars and restaurants that I visited completely devestated. I stayed at the Amari resort which I can only imagine was badly hit and my thoughts go out to the staff there as well as all the other people I met whilst I was there.

Apologies if my post sounds insensitive obviously the main concern at the moment should be helping those still in need.

The whole point of Governments is to govern, to protect the citizenry. to take pre-emptive measures - that's why civil Servants get paid and don't work for free.

Yes, its an Act of God - but even Noah managed to escape his flood with a bit of preparation and warning.

You blamers are all the same.Blame who, what government, when should it have been in place? Would all the Tourists and Thais flock down to the beach to see the nice big wave, like they now do in the USA?

Please let us find out all the facts and what is happening with the current situation before we blast off with blame.

The first concern should be with the injured and the families of the dead.

As I said before mate, start another thread. :o

The news reports are getting kind of old, still seeing the 400 numbers which have been posted since yesterday.

The number is now well over 800 - at least 839, after a massive update which added bodies recovered on Phang Nga. Reports say that there are another 200 bodies as yet unrecovered.

Whiners and moaners, please go start another thread. Not that I disagree with you but this thread is for news and information, no?

And if Adolf Hitler had been run over by a car in 1935.

Take the advice and leave this thread for information that might help someone!!