Visa Extension Obligation Due To Airport Protest?

I arranged my Visa in my home country before I arrived in Thailand. Oddly, I filled out the paper work on the 25th Nov at the consulate and provided my flight itinerary which was for the arrival in Thailand on the 28th. Obviously I expected the Visa to commence on the 28th but she created it for the 25th for some stupid reason considering It would not have been ready to pick up until the 27th. Then the PAD protests begun the day I picked up my Visa and later that evening I was informed that my flight had been cancelled and the airport shutdown. When the airport was re-opened I managed to get the earliest re-scheduled flight which had me arrive on the 8th Dec. This is a deficit of 13 days!!

I'd like to know if there is a special clause for which make concessions for this situation and provide my visa date beginning when I actually arrived in the country?

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Unless it's a double entry visa, you aren't losing anything.

The date they gave you in your passport is a 'use by' date.

When you enter Thailand, prior to the 'use by' date, you'll get the full 60 days permission to stay from that date.

You can choose to enter Thailand the day before the expiration (use by) of the visa and still not lose anything.

I think I understand your concern. If I'm off base, please post again.

Have a good time in Thailand.

I expected the Visa to commence on the 28th ...

This is a deficit of 13 days!!

Hi Drayon,

What are you speaking about ??

There is no "begin date" for a Visa.

And there is no "deficit" of days in you case.

A Visa is an "authorization to enter"

not an "authorization for stay"...

I arranged my Visa in my home country before I arrived in Thailand. Oddly, I filled out the paper work on the 25th Nov at the consulate and provided my flight itinerary which was for the arrival in Thailand on the 28th. Obviously I expected the Visa to commence on the 28th but she created it for the 25th for some stupid reason considering It would not have been ready to pick up until the 27th. Then the PAD protests begun the day I picked up my Visa and later that evening I was informed that my flight had been cancelled and the airport shutdown. When the airport was re-opened I managed to get the earliest re-scheduled flight which had me arrive on the 8th Dec. This is a deficit of 13 days!!

I'd like to know if there is a special clause for which make concessions for this situation and provide my visa date beginning when I actually arrived in the country?

Visas always start their validity on the date of issue. You have no recourse because you could not enter on your planned date.

The validity has no effect on how much time you can spend in the country, It is only the time you have to use it.

If it is a tourist visa with more than entry the use by date should be 6 months from the date of issue and is the time before you can use the last entry.

If a multiple entry non immigrant visa it is the same. Meaning you must use the last entry before the use by date.

Unless it's a double entry visa, you aren't losing anything.

The date they gave you in your passport is a 'use by' date.

When you enter Thailand, prior to the 'use by' date, you'll get the full 60 days permission to stay from that date.

You can choose to enter Thailand the day before the expiration (use by) of the visa and still not lose anything.

I think I understand your concern. If I'm off base, please post again.

Have a good time in Thailand.

It says it's a Multiple 3 entry. Oh I see, they did actually stamp it as of the 8th on entry and Valid to stay 60 days. I stand corrected "Pattaya46", (your name have a connection to VR46 by any chance?) having read the stamp it does indeed state the visa is valid on the 25th May and must be used in this time.

Ok so on the 4th of Feb I must leave the country on a border run to get another 60 days? Is this the procedure?

You don't have to leave on the 4th of Feb. you can go to immigration and get a 30 day extension. And then leave and get another 60 day entry which can be extendedr for another 30 days. If you want more time you can leave and re-enter on the 24th of May and get 60 days again and extend for 30 days

Days have been lost as OP could not enter until after. Dont think you will have much chance, overstay had to be paid at airport even though proof of flight for when airport was closed provided..

//Edit: overstay does not enter into this discussion. - Maestro

Edited by Maestro
Added edit note - Maestro

The validity period of a visa always starts on the date when the visa is affixed in your passport, which is usually the date when your application is received. An airport being closed or submission of a flight itinerary makes no difference; the staring date of a visa is never postdated. This is the reason why people on this forum are usually advised to apply for the visa close to the intended travel date.

Aside from that, remember that the validity period does not reduce the period of your permission to stay. Upon arrival with your tourist visa in Thailand you still received the full 60 days permission to stay and you can get the full 30 days extension. Please see also this information on the website of the Immigration Bureau:

www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/content/visaxpiredate.html

--

Maestro