Teeth Whitening -options, Risks Like Sensitivity, Cost Etc.

torrenova

I reckon I could benefit from some teeth whitening but I have always been put off by the risk of sensitivity afterwards and a long time ago by the cost (in the west).

I think I know some of the various methods but I'd like to minimise risk whilst achieving the best possible results. Therefore any first hand experience would be most welcome.

I have two crowns which I know won't be affected but do crowns cause different problems ?

What is the best method ?

What about risks ?

Then - cost and where do you recommend. I guess I'm talking about Bangkok or Pattaya really.

Thanks in advance.

My dentist at Chiang Mai Ram hospital in CM convinces me that it is a harmful process that makes the teeth more brittle and convinced me not to have it done, this despite the fact that the hospital she works for sells the procedure as a product. Good professional lady, has to be respected.

• 1 month later...

well i had my teeth whitened today. the place offered 3 ways of doing it. 1) home bleaching where they make you a tray and give you gel to put it in, and you do it several times before you see results. 6000b. 2) in-office cold light pulse bleaching, where they paint gel on your teeth and put them under this light for 30 mins or so, brings them a couple shades lighter and lasts 2-3 years. 6500b. and 3) laser whitening- done with a laser obviously and lasts about 5-6 years. 10000b. i did #2- in and out in an hour and very little sensitivity. my teeth are definitely whiter though not uniformly so. still, i am glad i did it. can't drink coffee/tea/red wine/coke or smoke for a while though as they will stain the teeth again.

My wife did it in BKK Pattaya Hospital while we were on holidays, after pregnancy her teeth, although perfect, became yellowish. No smoke, wine, coffe or tea, ever.

Laser whitening, 12,000B. That was not too bad, took 90 minutes and she could not eat (sensitive gums) for until late that evening.

What the real turn-off is - 1 day prior to laser, cleaning of calcium deposits. That took more than 1 hour, was between very unpleasant an painful. Extra 1600B. Without it, the doctor said the laser procedure is worthless.

Four years on, her teeth are as white as they were right after the dentists.

(insurance covered calcium removal but refused to cover whitening as "unnecessary and cosmetical")

My dentist at Chiang Mai Ram hospital in CM convinces me that it is a harmful process that makes the teeth more brittle and convinced me not to have it done, this despite the fact that the hospital she works for sells the procedure as a product. Good professional lady, has to be respected.

With emphasis on the word professional. She obviously has been keeping up with her continuing education.

The dental journals have featured some negative assessments. I had been one of those in favour of the procedure, but the ADRs and long term impact described in some studies were enough to convince me otherwise.

Teeth whitening is safe enough for the people that have good dental tissue to start with. The thing is, the people that need it most are the ones most at risk. The discolouration is a result of activities and underlying medical conditions that predispose them to the negative impact.

well i had my teeth whitened today. the place offered 3 ways of doing it. 1) home bleaching where they make you a tray and give you gel to put it in, and you do it several times before you see results. 6000b. 2) in-office cold light pulse bleaching, where they paint gel on your teeth and put them under this light for 30 mins or so, brings them a couple shades lighter and lasts 2-3 years. 6500b. and 3) laser whitening- done with a laser obviously and lasts about 5-6 years. 10000b. i did #2- in and out in an hour and very little sensitivity. my teeth are definitely whiter though not uniformly so. still, i am glad i did it. can't drink coffee/tea/red wine/coke or smoke for a while though as they will stain the teeth again.

I do option #1 about three weeks before I head for a home visit every year. Definitely NOT 6000thb. The trays were 1500 and the gel is 600thb and comes in three different levels of strength 10,15,20. I still have the trays so just buy the gel now.You wear the trays at night when you sleep, I do it for about a week and definitely get results.

My teeth are slightly more sensitive for about three days.

QUOTE (girlx @ 2009-02-21 22:13:36) *

can't drink coffee/tea/red wine/coke or smoke for a while though as they will stain the teeth again.

And that's the problem. A BIG problem.

:o well the way i look at it it is a good time to drop some of my bad vices... plus i love my new white teeth!

QUOTE (girlx @ 2009-02-21 22:13:36) *

can't drink coffee/tea/red wine/coke or smoke for a while though as they will stain the teeth again.

And that's the problem. A BIG problem.

:o well the way i look at it it is a good time to drop some of my bad vices... plus i love my new white teeth!

With laser you're supposed to avoid smoking and coffee for 24 hours only, after the coloration will supposedly come back slowly. I'm back drinking a lot of coffe and smoking cigars once in a while and will consider a new whitening session when necessary.

Did the tray whitening a few years back and it worked. Left my teeth quite sensitive for a while. Recently had a laser whitening in Central World, abt 10000 including a scaling. Very noticeable result in abt 75mns ( including the scaling ) . Missus did the same in Siam Square, it worked also well and cost a few hundred baht less but I find that place run down. Tooth sensitivity was minor, and only on treatment day.

OK well I had it down at Grace Dental in Chiang Mai, certainly one of the best clinics in town.

They do options A & B together, that it they do the laser whitening in the clinic and make a tray for you. They then give you the paste and you wear the tray at night. You can buy more paste and keep going if you want to. This way you get a double hit of whitening.

Certainly a significant improvement, but you can't say how long it lasts as it depends on your teeth, your diet and your dental hygiene. I think they said no more than once per year.

I don't remember any significant sensitivity apart from treatment day, but I do remember the great big blister I got on my lip thanks to the chemicals they paint on the teeth. They first smear vaseline on your lips (i thinks that's all it was) to form a protective layer. The thing is though, with all the hands going into and out of the mouth they must have rubbed the vaseline off in one place and so they burnt my gum. The blister took 2-3 days to heal. Not nice and no apology forthcoming.

I also go their for check-ups and fillings and no bad experiences on that score.

I'm a dentist (Western Trained Marquette Dental School) 13 years out now and if you really want a second opinion just PM me and I'll give you a no nonsense, no cost (as I am not in it for $$$) opinion. I'm hesitant to add mine due to the numerous subject experts.

One quick point= Laser Whitening is simply using a laser to heat up the gel that does the actual bleaching. No different than using a heating element, but it sounds "expensive" so they charge more for it.

There are a lot of indications and contraindications involved.

BJ

I use the Crest Whitestrips as I have crowns so with the strips I can control the level of whiteness of the other teeth so there isn't too much of a contrast. They work well, but it means wearing the strips twice a day, half an hour a time for 28 days. Ocassionally get some mild sensitivity. An additional bonus is that the peroxide seems to sterilise the mouth so better smelling breath!

I've just ordered some from Dentist.net to see if they get through Thai customs OK.

Cost is about $30-40 for a pack and about $20 for air mail delivery

I hear so many mixed reports as to whether or not it is safe..but from different info ive looked at on the net, i dont really see how there is a problem.

I first whitened my teeth about 4 year ago at home with the moulded teeth trays, i did the full recommended time (i think was a week or 10 days). Super sensitive. Since then I just whiten every 3 months or so (as after that one full-blown session I havent felt the need to do anything like that again), but for one or two nights only. Just as a "top up". I also use a low peroxide as I dont want to have super super white knashers again which I think looked too ott and unnatural for me. I just like them too look healthy. I also occasionally use a whitener pen with a low peroxide as a quick fix. I find this removes any minor surface stain. I dont ever want to whiten them to the same degree or length of time i did before. I dont know if what im doing is unsafe to be honest, but i cant see how it wouldnt be. I dont smoke but i am a coffee addict. I really like that my teeth dont need to show my addiction!

Did for me Spurs. I actually feel i took it too far first time round and ended up having Hollywood movie white. I had to wear sunglasses to look in the mirror! Seriously though, i wanted to see how white i could go. But they looked fake, too white, ott. I like the trays because its good value and i can take it as far as I feel comfortable with. Usually only one or two nights bleaching for me now, but i do it about every 3 months or so. Not suggesting this is what you do though. Talk to your dentist.

Btw..the zoom didnt work on you? Some people have naturally darker teeth I believe, but yet still, im surprised if they werent taken several shades lighter. Do you trust they did it correctly? :o