Where To Buy Beautiful Kimonos In Bangkok ?

RMN

Does anyone have an address in Bangkok for me ?

If I were after a traditional Thai sarong in Tokyo, I would check if there are any Thai shops or departments stores, Jim Thompson, for example..

For a kimono in Bangkok, I would check Tokyu Dept store at MBK.

If they don't carry the kimonos, they might (only might) be able to tell where to look.

If I were after a traditional Thai sarong in Tokyo, I would check if there are any Thai shops or departments stores, Jim Thompson, for example..

If they don't carry the kimonos, they might (only might) be able to tell where to look.

Thanks TTM, that'll be very useful.

You won't find it at any department stores in Thailand (even at Japanese dept. stores Tokyu and Isetan).

Try this place.

MAI TRADING CO., LTD.

41/20 Soi 16/21 Viphavadi-Rangsit Rd.,

Ladyao, Jatujak, Bangkok 10900

Tel / Fax : 02-276-2888, Mobile : 07-816-1619 (YUMIKO)

http://wasothai.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

and this place for rental Kimono (2,500 Baht a day).

[email protected]

http://bangkokdekimono.spaces.live.com

It may not be as authentic as you'd like it to be, though.

Thanks TTM, that'll be very useful.

You did not say the purpose of buying the kimono. As a present to a non-Japanese, the cheaper ones may do. At Japanese airports, you can get them for kids and adults for 15-30US$. Not souvenirs, they are wearable but all Japanese would know what and how much they were. I brought 7-8 as presents to Thai friends' kids.

The best kimonos are 10 to 20 times more in price that I originally said. Yes, up to 4000$ (four thousand US$). Hardly anyone buys them, not even Japanese, mostly kimono rental places, for weddings and similar events.

Look here. The price is in Yes - divide by 100 and deduct 10% to see it in US$.

The second price is with 3 belts and bows.

kimono1.JPG

kimono2.JPG

kimono3.JPG

Edited by think_too_mut

Thanks for all the info.

The purpose of the buy is to give to a friend who needs a (amateur) theater costume for a japanese female character. So it must be the cheap kind.

Any way to find cheap kimonos in Bangkok ? I'm not going to japan anytime soon.

I'd like to get another cotton yukata, but it needs to be Tall size, like they sell at shops in San Francisco's Japantown. Very convenient for lounging around or throwing on before going out on the balcony or opening the front door.